Weight Lifting - Tips for a beginner?

Options
Currently I only do spinning 3-4 times a week along with the occasional visit to the hill climber in the gym, can anyone recommend a programme or have any tips for incorporating lifting weights into my routine?

Any help would be great as I'm completely clueless with regards to lifting weights! :)

Replies

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? How many days a week do you plan on weight training?
  • taylorwatson1
    taylorwatson1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »

I want to become more toned and I think I'd train after spinning plus one day so either four or five times a week :)
  • fileshiny
    fileshiny Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I actually would start with the strength training videos put out by Cathe Friedrich (www.cathe.com). She produces excellent weight training programs, and her videos are of excellent production quality. She also has superb form throughout her exercises.
  • cgvet37
    Options

I want to become more toned and I think I'd train after spinning plus one day so either four or five times a week :)

Just a suggestion. If you are going to do cardio and weight training in the same day. I would do weights first, and cardio after. Or, if you can, cardio in the morning and weights later in the day. If you do your cardio first, you are not going to be able to give 100% to your weight training. If I were you. I would do a split.

Day 1 Chest and Triceps
    Day 2 Back and Biceps
    Day 3 Shoulders and Legs

I would choose 3-4 exercises per muscle group, and do 3 sets of 12-15 reps using light weight. In terms of what exercises to do. I can help you, if you want. Or, search google and You Tube.
  • stephinator92
    stephinator92 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Just a suggestion. If you are going to do cardio and weight training in the same day. I would do weights first, and cardio after. Or, if you can, cardio in the morning and weights later in the day. If you do your cardio first, you are not going to be able to give 100% to your weight training. If I were you. I would do a split.

Day 1 Chest and Triceps
    Day 2 Back and Biceps
    Day 3 Shoulders and Legs

I would choose 3-4 exercises per muscle group, and do 3 sets of 12-15 reps using light weight. In terms of what exercises to do. I can help you, if you want. Or, search google and You Tube.

This. This is what I do. Generally like a 10 minute warmup on the bike and then lifting for a half hour or so. Then cardio. Bodybuilding.com has a ton of information that would help!
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Actually, if you're a beginner I would not recommend a split program. Instead, focus on full body programs with compound movements. StrongLifts 5x5 is popular around here (and a personal favorite), but you can also look into New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROLFW) or Ice Cream Fitness.
  • jordyngiulio
    jordyngiulio Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I bought "New Rules of Lifting for Women" exactly a month ago and I absolutely love it! I have always been kind of intimidated by free weights and lifting in general but this book walks you through everything and outlines a program. I don't follow the nutrition part as it is focused on gaining muscle so I still eat in a deficit but the workouts are great. The book is a 6 month program and outlines everything for you so there isn't any guessing or confusing.

My boyfriend and I recently moved in together and he had a full weight set up so I was able to start a program without being in front of a ton of people - it's just me and Beyoncé in the basement lifting and it's amazing.

I've also heard "Strong Lifts" is great too but I haven't done it personally.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Stronglifts.com. Since you are a total newbie, you only have to learn five exercises - squats, bench press, rows, overhead press and deadlifts. You can learn about the program at stronglifts.com, download the app to track your progress and they have videos that you can watch to learn how to do the exercises. You only need to do it 3 days a week, and it only takes about 45 minutes per session.

I love it and have been seeing awesome progress using the program. Good luck!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Actually, if you're a beginner I would not recommend a split program. Instead, focus on full body programs with compound movements. StrongLifts 5x5 is popular around here (and a personal favorite), but you can also look into New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROLFW) or Ice Cream Fitness.

^^^^ this
  • cgvet37
    edited April 2016
    Options

Why would you recommend compound movements to a beginner? Sorry, but that makes no sense to me. They need to learn basic movements first.
  • cgvet37
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Another vote for Stronglifts.com. Since you are a total newbie, you only have to learn five exercises - squats, bench press, rows, overhead press and deadlifts. You can learn about the program at stronglifts.com, download the app to track your progress and they have videos that you can watch to learn how to do the exercises. You only need to do it 3 days a week, and it only takes about 45 minutes per session.

Here is one problem with this program. Take shoulders for example. The delts alone are made up of three heads. There is no way to isolate each head by only doing a military press. Also, why would you want a beginner to start with compound movements such as deadlifts and squats? Exercises that if done improperly, increase the chance of injury. More so than others.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options

Here is one problem with this program. Take shoulders for example. The delts alone are made up of three heads. There is no way to isolate each head by only doing a military press. Also, why would you want a beginner to start with compound movements such as deadlifts and squats? Exercises that if done improperly, increase the chance of injury. More so than others.

Compound lifts ARE the basic lifts. Yes, form is critical which is why most of us tell people to find a good trainer or watch vids, limit the weights and then video your lifts and look for issues.
    Isolation lifts are there as finishing moves after basic compound lifts.

If you look at any basic beginner lifting program they all have the same basic movements: bench, squat, OHP, rows and deadlifts.

• cgvet37
    Options

Compound lifts ARE the basic lifts. Yes, form is critical which is why most of us tell people to find a good trainer or watch vids, limit the weights and then video your lifts and look for issues.

If you look at any basic beginner lifting program they all have the same basic movements: bench, squat, OHP, rows and deadlifts.

I would never teach deadlifts or barbell squats to a beginner. I would start them with some more basic exercises, then progress. Agree to disagree.
  • kathrynjean_
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Compound lifts are more efficient and better at building functional strength. They are the basic lifts and as @piperdown44 mentioned, it's important to take it slowly and get form down - but they are the BASIC lifts and the CORE components of any program.

It doesn't make any sense to start doing random isolation exercises if you haven't got the basics down. And it's just not the most efficient or practical way for a beginner to start lifting.

If OP is interested in doing isolation work as well, have a look at ICF 5x5 which is pretty much SL with accessory work. However, if OP wants to continue to prioritize her spinning and cardio, it would probably be nice to have a 45-60 minute strength training session instead of spending a ton of time on accessories.
  • piperdown44
    Options

I would never teach deadlifts or barbell squats to a beginner. I would start them with some more basic exercises, then progress. Agree to disagree.

How can one get more basic for a movement? If you sit down in a chair, that's a squat. If you pick something up off the floor that's a deadlift.

• kathrynjean_
    Options
    @cgvet37 since you appear to be "training beginners", I'm curious to know when you started squatting? How long were you lifting for when you started squatting and deadlifting?
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hijack, but I have a question regarding the New Rules and Stronglifts programs. Can you do these programs with free weights? My husband has those Bowflex Select Tech weights and I am trying to find a program to work with those. Thanks!
  • piperdown44
    Options
    BTW. There's also a reason that most of the beginner programs have you start with just the barbell. They also mention if you can't lift the barbell to find a lighter one to use like a standard lifting bar (about 5-8lbs) plus 5's or 10's on it.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

I am not necessarily in full agreement with doing weight training first. It really does depend on your ultimate goals. As a runner, it would be disastrous for me to do weights before my running work-outs. For 3-4 times a week, if you only want to tone, I do think weights first is probably the way to go.
  • taylorwatson1
    taylorwatson1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I bought "New Rules of Lifting for Women" exactly a month ago and I absolutely love it! I have always been kind of intimidated by free weights and lifting in general but this book walks you through everything and outlines a program. I don't follow the nutrition part as it is focused on gaining muscle so I still eat in a deficit but the workouts are great. The book is a 6 month program and outlines everything for you so there isn't any guessing or confusing.

My boyfriend and I recently moved in together and he had a full weight set up so I was able to start a program without being in front of a ton of people - it's just me and Beyoncé in the basement lifting and it's amazing.

I've also heard "Strong Lifts" is great too but I haven't done it personally.

You are so lucky, I think half the battle is going into the weights room the first time in front of all the experienced people!

Thank you everyone for the advice, I'm going to have a look at all of the programmes you've recommended and find one that will suit me (fingers crossed)!