Let's talk rotisserie chicken

Options

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I love rotisserie chicken. We have it regularly and will be having it tonight, in fact.

I use the USDA entries for rotisserie chicken. Whenever I have a food for which I have no food label or where different parts would be different calories (e.g., nutrition info is different for dark and light meat of chicken) I look up USDA info.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    okay so I love rotisserie chicken. It's sooooo much better than a baked or grilled chicken breast.

Just out of curiosity, how do you normally grill or bake your chicken? I don't find rotisserie chicken to be better than my own chicken at all... Sometimes I make chicken that actually makes me cry a little bit...

Cry?? Why would cooking chicken make you sad?

Because my SO eats most of it! lol. And I am dieting, so i can't even try to keep up with him.
    okay so I love rotisserie chicken. It's sooooo much better than a baked or grilled chicken breast.

Just out of curiosity, how do you normally grill or bake your chicken? I don't find rotisserie chicken to be better than my own chicken at all... Sometimes I make chicken that actually makes me cry a little bit...

Umm well when I have it... Grill, tends to get dry. ( I basically can't grill anything) or baked in a glass pan with a little olive oil. Any tips :)

When I bake it, i usually use coconut oil, and i make sure to open the oven a few times and baste it with the juices in the bottom of the pan, that keeps it nice and moist. Or will make a tandoori type mix to put on it, but still, going in and basting it is important, as it keeps things from drying out too much. I do this with whole chickens, as well as breasts or thighs if i cook them. I have this chart bookmarked for cooktimes: http://www.chicken.ca/chicken-school/view/9/chicken-cooking-times

alot of the dryness issues stem from overcooking really. I also like to make chicken curries, but that is a different kettle of fish.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I love a rotisserie chicken when I'm in a pinch for dinner. We eat it by itself, in wraps, in enchiladas, on a sandwich, as a salad topper. I do cook a whole bird myself once or twice a month, but when it runs out I've got no issue with picking a rotisserie bird up.

Do you just bake it? Plain?

Roast chicken is one of the easiest meals ever.
    The World’s Most Difficult Roasted Chicken Recipe

Turn your oven on high (450 if you have ventilation, 425 if not). Coat a 3- or 4-pound chicken with coarse kosher salt so that you have an appealing crust of salt (a tablespoon or so). Put the chicken in a pan, stick a lemon or some onion or any fruit or vegetable you have on hand into the cavity. Put the chicken in the oven. Go away for an hour. Watch some TV, play with the kids, read, have a cocktail, have sex. When an hour has passed, take the chicken out of the oven and put it on the stove top or on a trivet for 15 more minutes. Finito.
    from http://ruhlman.com/2010/01/america-too-stupid-to-cook/

Additional tip: To make sure the white meat on the top doesn't overcook before the dark meat on the bottom is done, put a cast iron skillet in the oven while it preheats. Then roast your chicken in the hot skillet. Bonus: now you can save on dirty dishes make a gravy with the drippings right in the same skillet.

Only thing faster is swinging by the Costco for a rotisserie bird! Unless it's friday night. Then your own oven is a safer bet.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    We typically make our own rotisserie chicken. A half tablespoon of butter gets spread on the inside of the skin between the meat and skin. and another half on top with paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder. Delicious and easy. Always comes out super moist but, crunchy skin.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    @fishshark But is it also in a brine before?

I don't mind it as a sometimes food when I just need some chicken and I don't want to cook. When I get down to really looking at it (or it's 3 days till paycheck :lol: ) I realize I can get boneless/skinless thighs for $3/lb vs a bone in bird for $5/$6 of varying actual meat content and they're still really moist, no brine, no worry about fighting with bones.
    @Afura
    whole foods didnt brine their chicken because some are "naked" so no salt.. some got seasonings and some dont
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Umm well when I have it... Grill, tends to get dry. ( I basically can't grill anything) or baked in a glass pan with a little olive oil. Any tips :)

Not for rotisserie chicken, but for cooking plain ol' chicken breasts to eat plain, on salads, wraps, sandwiches, or whatever, I found the absolute perfect method that I have now used about four times and will never do anything different when I want/need this kind of chicken. I promise, the breasts are cooked perfectly, completely, and NOT DRIED OUT AT ALL - it works flawlessly. thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-moist-tender-chicken-breasts-every-time-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-36891
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Last time I bought it, it had almost an inch of "fat" in the container.
    Not all of it was brine.
    I gathered it, put it in fridge and sure enough it turned the yellow fatty substance.
    And how can something that was cooked on a pipe drip so much fat after taken off?
    I wonder if they are injecting it in a half brine half fat solution. I really wonder.

you can't be serious.
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'll pick one up at the store once in a while when it's getting close to dinner time and I haven't planned anything yet. It can be a bit on the dry side -- particularly the next day -- but I think they err on the side of caution and cook the heck out of it so people don't get sick.

I also have a rotisserie at home (Set it and forget it!) and make chicken in that. Loads better than what you get at the store. Mmmmmm. Chicken.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    We often pick one up at Costco on a Saturday morning and then eat it for lunch. The kids really like it and it's one of the healthier things they'll eat. Regardless of diet status, I don't care for the skin, but I don't think they are greasy. Most of the liquid at the bottom is juice, not fat.

Then we take the leftovers and mix it with the dog's food for the week. Lucky, picky dog.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I love rotisserie chicken! In my house I purchase one, pop it in the fridge and then eat it cold as a lunch, snack, breakfast, etc. I love the dark meat, DH likes the breast, so it works out. I purchase mine from the grocery store, pick the meat off the bones, remove the skin, weigh the meat, log and eat it. That and a cheese stick keeps me full and satisfied, so I count it as a win.
  • greeneyedjess
    greeneyedjess Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Throw it in the crock pot! Put some onions, celery, half a lemon, few garlic cloves in the cavity and then season the outside. McCormick makes a rotisserie seasoning and I use that with some salt and pepper. The chicken comes out super moist and is literally falling apart. I usually do 6-8 hours on low, depends on how big it is though.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I looked at some the sodium was so high I decided to skip it and cook my own.

YES!

This is so easy to do in a crock pot. 1. Buy 1 whole raw chicken 2. Sprinkle with McCormick's rotisserie seasoning (or Mrs Dash....whatever your preference). 3. Then put a stalk of celery (cut in half) or onion in the chicken cavity . 4. Place 2 (or 3) small balls of tin foil in your crockpot. 5. "Perch" your chicken on top of the foil. This keeps your chicken from floating in grease for hours. 6. Cook on high about 3 - 3.5 hours. Use a thermometer to test doneness.

Re: fat injection. I don't think so. Restaurants & stores likely use marinating tubs and put several chickens in. Very little labor involved.

• brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I am always stuck on how to weigh it on a food scale. There's white meat, dark meat, skin, bones, not to mention which mfp entry to use. How do you all weigh this?
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    brendak76 wrote: »
    I am always stuck on how to weigh it on a food scale. There's white meat, dark meat, skin, bones, not to mention which mfp entry to use. How do you all weigh this?

I eat it often enough, I found an entry I agree with and saved it to my favorites. The way I found it is I scanned the barcode from the rotisserie chicken I buy, checked those entires to other websites and found an entry that seemed to be in line with most calorie counts I was finding. I only weigh the actual meat, no skin, no bones.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If I eat the white meat, I log that in grams. If I eat the dark meat, I log that in grams. If I eat both, I log them separately.

ETA I also log the meat without skin and bones.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I love rotisserie chickens! I probably get one once or twice a month. Easy and delicious. I usually use the leftover meat in a white chicken chili or jambalaya.

I also get that feeling of, "it's so good, is it really not loaded with calories??" I could eat and eat and eat it. That's not to say my grilled or baked chicken isn't good either, because it is! But there's something about cooking it in all that fat, I think. Makes it so succulent.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    So good and a good alternative to other fast food options as a quick fix, but the downfall is the sodium.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    michellesz wrote: »
    So good and a good alternative to other fast food options as a quick fix, but the downfall is the sodium.
    Am I the only person that knows there are rotisserie chickens that are naked thus no added sodium. Maybe not at regular stores but Whole Foods sells naked chickens no added salt or spices.
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Rotisserie chickens are great. I don't have a lot of time, so paying $5-7 for a ready-to-go bird saves me the hassle of cooking it myself plus I usually get at least 6 nice servings of meat. And I love the juice at the bottom. It gets thrown in the slow cooker along with the picked carcass to make soup. Between the meat, the soup, and the convenience, I think it evens out. Plus, as others have said, it is pretty healthy (and better than getting my chicken at KFC or McDonalds).
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I love the bbq chicken! I take off the skin too...buy 1 every couple of weeks, lol