Should I keep eating fruit?

Options
I love fruit!
I usually have just fruit for breakfast (banana, strawberries, cherries, apple) but recently I've noticed that lots of people are saying how bad it is for you if you want to lose weight because of the sugars. I'm confused :huh: I thought fruit was good for you? I was tracking my sugars in my diary but every day without fail I'd go over on breakfast alone. So now I've hidden that column and am usually in the green for everything else (except protein).
So my question is, should I continue to enjoy my fruit at the risk of losing less weight or should I cut it down or out completely in the hope of losing more?
Px

Replies

• bluemist248
    bluemist248 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Keep eating it. I'm yet to hear of someone becoming obese after binging on fruit :laugh: The sugar in fruit is natural and bonded with fiber so it's released over time instead of one big sugar crash with a cake or chocolate.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Fruit IS NOT BAD!!!! If your trying to loose weight keep it at 2 pieces/2 servings a day. I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE GIVE GREAT FOOD A BAD RAP!
  • dcholliday2
    dcholliday2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yes keep eating fruit! I posed this same question when I first started. I decided that I would take my total sugar and subtract the natural sugars from it and that was my "real" sugar total. Just don't go overboard with the serving size with fruits because it can affect your body i.e. glycemic index, how you metabolize those sugars
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Natural sugars plus the fiber in fruit is great stuff! Full of vitamins and all sorts of goodies (and tasty). As long as you stay under your calorie limit, you'll be just fine.
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    dont stop eating fruit! the sugars are natural and the nutrients in the fruits are good for your health.....even the new WW program makes fruits 0 points to encourage more consumption!
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Personally, I am like you and am always going over sugar with fruit and skim milk!!! I love both and will not give this up in order to lseo weight since I know I will never give it up forever so I'm not going to start now!!!!! I have done it before without giving up anything I like, but just eating way less of it and not bingeing on it when I did get it. I eat cookies, but get 100 cal packs or reduced fat oreos, ice cream is low fat, chocolate is always in the house in mini form (bite sized candy). Always have fruit around too!!! I say do what you can live with to maintain, don't jsut do what you can in order to lose the weight for now!!!
  • kportelli70
    Options
    Definitely keep eating your fruit. But be careful of eating too much and my friend (he's a trainer) told me not to eat fruit in the evening cause of the sugar. I always have fruit in the morning and as an afternoon snack. Then in the evening I munch on fresh veggies.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Dont listen to them fruit is great! .... Just stay away from processed sugars!
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Keep eating it. I'm yet to hear of someone becoming obese after binging on fruit :laugh: The sugar in fruit is natural and bonded with fiber so it's released over time instead of one big sugar crash with a cake or chocolate.
    I didn't become overweight in the first place by eating too much fruit, but I can absolutely binge on fruit now.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    If it is working for you, don't worry about it! If, at some point in the future, you find you need to make some modifications, that might be one area you look at (among others), but fruit has so much more value than a poptart or donut or other sugary food, so I say forget about it and eat your delish fruit!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit 2-3 times a day. Doesn't seem to be stopping my weight loss.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    ^ all this ^
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I would say yes, keep enjoying your fruit. Like everything, it should be eaten in moderation. But don't forget that fruits contain all sorts of vitamins that your body needs to keep balanced. I usually have berries in my oatmeal for breakfast, maybe a banana as a snack sometime during the day, and often an apple as an evening snack.

The problem is that people vilify one nutrient and bring all the attention to that one, so people stop eating that food out of fear that it's wrong. I try to avoid any processed sugars, but anything that's in a whole food -- I don't worry about it. I'm more concerned about having a healthy diet than losing weight. If I have a balanced and healthy diet, the weight will come off in its own time.

That's just my two cents. :smile:
  • Minoesh
    Minoesh Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Keep eating fruit!!! Mixed fruit like berries, banana & melon with 100g of soya yoghurt has been my breakfast for the last 3.5 years - and I have lost 90lbs in that time! :smile:
    I have recently started to mix things up a bit so that I don't get bored, some mornings I will have poached eggs or porridge oats but you can't go wrong with fruit if you've cut out the 'bad' sugars. Loads of luck with your weight loss journey. :smile:
  • sarahpittaway
    Options
    I do not eat much fruit since January this year. I keep away from Mangos and Bananas as they have the highest sugar content in them . ( The Biggest Loser also stated this one season )
    I usually have a bowl of wheat squares with low fat milk for breakfast.
    I eat plenty of raw veggies and loads of protein . I do not eat red meat as it has the highest fat content ( 1 steak 20 % or higher of fat from your daily allowance) compare to Chicken, prawns and turkey.
    I stopped drinking soft drinks ( even diet ) / energy drinks as they are all sugar and empty calories .

Tip : Change all your dairy products to low fat ones as this makes a big difference in the fat you consume if like me you love cheese and milk.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Keep eating it. Those sugars are completely different than refined sugars you find in candy and baked goods. Fruit packs all kinds of nutrients and will help you feel full.

As far as being red in your protein, your protein is set really low and should actually be increased. MFP sets it low but I have mine set were I do 30-30-40. This means 30% carbs, 30% fats and 40% protein.
  • larsoncd
    larsoncd Posts: 8
    Options
    Keep the fruit and lose the Curly Wurly bars. :)
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I find that i do better with weight loss on the weeks when i've eaten loads of fruit. The weeks when i don't i usually eat more rubbish. Fruit is not bad, apart from natural sugar they have vitamins in.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I believe its just like anything else, too much of a good thing can turn against you. Theres nothing wrong with a banana a day. But if someone is eating 4 bananas, apples, grapes etc everyday and not seeing results then maybe cut back on fruit.

Its just too easy for me to eat too many grapes or watermelon and so on because hey, its good for me! So while I try not to think about it too much, I also limit fruits and weigh them.

But if you are accurately accounting for them and you are still seeing results then I wouldn't worry too much.
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the posts here. The thing about this site, is that it is NOT a diet site. This is a tool to help us manage what we eat, and to choose the healthiest fuels for our bodies.

Personally I ask myself two questions.
    1) Why is this food available to me? In other words, what purpose do orange and apple trees serve, if we are not supposed to eat fruit? Eating in season is always a good bet.

2) If someoned is trying to get me to "give up" a certain food, is it something I'm willing to give up for the rest of my life?

Silly, silly people that say fruit is bad!