People who change when you lose weight

Options
Okay. I've lost about 45 lbs in the last 2 years.
Now it's like, everyone comments on how i eat and it's kind of sad.
I didn't lose weight for other people. I did it for myself. For my happiness.

But it's hard to be happy, when people (friends & family) constantly ask
me what it is i'm eating today. Co-workers at work who stare into my lunch,
who say things like, "OMG u're eating" Who gives comebacks like, "at least i'm eating."
People make comments and make me feel like i have some kind of disease like bulimia or anorexia.

No one knows how disgusting i felt all through highschool.
How awkward and time consuming my weight has been for me.

I've achieved sooo much, and yet I feel like I'm still at war.
I'm constantly reminded about my weight. I just want that 45 lbs i lost,
to disappear.

So fustrating.

Replies

• randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    thats very sad to read. you should be so proud of what you have acheived.

The reason they are saying this is pure jealousy. You look fantastic and they must just be stuck in a rut. Let them make comments at the end of the day, your the one who knows how much work you have had to put in and you will reap the rewards :o)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Tell them straight up "Hey, I don't comment when I see you eating stuff that I don't, so why do you think it's okay to comment on what I eat."
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're surrounded by so much negativity. I guess all you can do is ignore them and be happy with yourself.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I know it's frustrating but people only say those things because they're insecure about their own weight. It's easier to pick on you for being fit than to get off their own arses and do something about their own problems.

If you are proud of your body and what you have accomplished with weight loss (which you should be!) then just try to let them be :)
  • Bub3les0
    Bub3les0 Posts: 47
    Options
    Isn't it sad when people don't support our efforts. Just remember people are probably jelous! You've done really well don't let others spoil it for u :D
  • Bub3les0
    Options
    Isn't it sad when people don't support our efforts. Just remember people are probably jelous! You've done really well don't let others spoil it for u :D
  • Bub3les0
    Options
  • luvJOJO
    luvJOJO Posts: 1,881 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! Sometimes I feel like I'm under a microscope!!
  • campb2ti
    campb2ti Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Completely understand! I had all the support in the world when I began my journey and after the weight and inches started to come off and I started to feel more self-confident and good about my body people started making comments on how much I ate (or didn't eat) what i was (or wasn't eating) and how I am obsessed with my weight. Sometimes I just want to scream that I'm not the unhealthy one, they are. instead I just let it roll off my back and know that I started this journey for myself, not for them.
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your achievements! I know a lot of people who lost weight like you and then had people say things like:
    "you really should be careful - you don't want to be TOO thin"
    "wow you better eat something or you will fade away to nothing"
    "glad I don't have to eat rabbit food like you"

etc. etc.

The best way to overcome this is to just be really happy around them and tell them as a come back to these types of statements that you feel healthier than you ever have before. I'm sure some people are probably jealous or envious as well!!
  • soxmandan
    soxmandan Posts: 26
    Options
    They be sippin on that HATERade hahaha dont sweat them, they are probably jealous that they dont look as awesome as you
  • fitaliciag
    fitaliciag Posts: 373
    Options
    I get comments like that, or odd looks when i refuse something unhealthy that someone offers to me....screw em.

you are in charge of what goes into your body and you should not give a flying F&*K what they think!

they look at you like that because they don't understand how you have the self control that they don't, and who cares? you just keep doing what makes you feel comfortable. everyone around you can look fat while they eat what they want. and you can look good while eating what you want :)
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Tell them straight up "Hey, I don't comment when I see you eating stuff that I don't, so why do you think it's okay to comment on what I eat."

*like*

*L*
  • shannaire
    shannaire Posts: 38
    Options
    Tell them it's none of their business some people r soooooo rude n think they have a right to tell you what 2 do
    Don't worry bout em stay strong n try not 2 let it get 2 u xxx
  • mazza2marilyn
    Options
    be proud of the weight you have lost,just ask them if they have a problem with it and to get a life
    .i started my diet yesterday and i will be over the moon when i loose that amount.
  • sche1amy
    sche1amy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is to ignore them. I was at an all girls party with family and friends. An old family friend got on my case saying "you are to skinny" , " you can see your bones", "you need to be committed to a eating disorder clinic". She went on and on and to this day I do not speak to her. This is coming from a woman who is obese with a heart issue and she jumps on me for being a healthy weight.

I was 239.9 at my heaviest and now am 158 with a few more pds to go. My doctor is proud of me as is my bf and daughter. I did not do this for anyone but myself. I did it for me so I could be happy and healthy.

You keep it up and do not worry what they say. Hold your head high and stay proud!
  • shannaire
    shannaire Posts: 38
    Options
    Also well done on your weight loss it's amazing x
  • emilymiesel
    emilymiesel Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm sorry you have to deal with people like that! They are just jealous they don't have the drive you do!! People are dumb so blow them off and keep your head up!
  • Roszepoo
    Roszepoo Posts: 46
    Options
    Insecure, negative, jealous people exist and will always come against those of us who are succeeding at something. Understand that you are probably looking very beautiful, your hard work is paying off, and the lazy, unmotivated people around you are a bit jealous. They will steal your joy IF YOU LET THEM. The key is not to let them. How?
    You could realize that they ARE insecure and pity them. You could come up with some quick comebacks (make a light joke of it all-poke some fun at them and at yourself-very healthy) such as "Yeah, starvation's not where it's at" or "I've decided there is no future in unhealthy habits" or "Yes, I an eating today-thought I'd copy you for a change" or "Way to be discouraging, guys" or sarcastic version "Way to be encouraging, guys"etc.
    They may not really get how negative and discouraging they are.
    My daughter has learned to say to me "That's not encourging" if I slip up in the area of negativity. I think it great of her-strong, intelligent, and brave.
    Best Wishes.
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from. It's disappointing when people have to belittle one's achievements.

When people at my work stare at my food or make comments like "OMG you're eating"... at first I would make little comments back to them like ... OMG I AM EATING, what's wrong with me!? and I usually say, - I know my lunch looks great, but NO you can't have any - I need my food....

I also have people who tell me - I run too much, I don't eat enough. I'm too healthy. - (REALLY!)
    I tell them, listen, I'm healthy and I'm happy. Please be happy for me and if you can't, then please don't make any comments about how I live my life. I run because I love to, it's my release and makes me happy. I eat because I am giving my body fuel to keep doing what I do. Just because I don't down a bag of chips doesn't mean I don't eat.
    I do eat, I just eat healthier options because I know what I need to give my body.

All in all, sweetie, tell these people to just worry about themselves. Sometimes you have to put people in their place.
    It's not being mean or rude. It's about being respectful to yourself and them respecting you and your choices.

I hope you find comfort in knowing everyone here is happy for you for all your hard work. It's a great accomplishment to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Keep up the hard work.
    xoxo