Weight lifting machines?

Options
I've been toying with the idea of getting a gym membership. I do free weights at home, but i only have so much weight here. I was wondering if using those weight machines that target specific muscles are as effective as free weights?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    For bulking up, yes. For functional strength or general fitness, no.
  • robbyf1971
    robbyf1971 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a gym, make that investment in yourself. Hopefully you can find one that has no long term commitment. There usually plenty of equipment, weights, etc that you can vary and change up your routine over time to keep you interested and body challenged. Plus it's a good place to pick up ideas.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Don't join a gym just to use the machines. Machines are ok but free wights are better and being around others doing the same thing is even better. Free weights make you rely on your own strength. Machines can be useful but in limited amounts.
    But yes, join a gym. It will motivate you and there is a huge range of weights.
  • Rick_1953
    Rick_1953 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Free weights are better. Many machines have a poor range of motion and fully activate the muscle group you are looking to improve
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I've been toying with the idea of getting a gym membership. I do free weights at home, but i only have so much weight here. I was wondering if using those weight machines that target specific muscles are as effective as free weights?
    Depends on what your goals are. If its athleticism, then machines, are not your answer. Machines train you to move in the way the machine moves. If your goal is to build some muscle to look more "toned" or muscular, then machines are just fine. A four-plate leg press will never be as badas as a four-plate squat.

EDIT: Or what Cherimoose said.
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I tend to use machines in most cases only because I don't have a lifting partner and I can remember MANY times where my brother had to help me get the barbell off my chest. If I do free weights these days, it is dumbbells only. I'd like to do squats again but I don't want to be that guy that goes down and has to take a seat because I can't get back up. I'd probably drop the weights.

In the past, I made tremendous improvements using machines, especially the leg press. It is one of my favorites.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    benjaminhk wrote: »
    I tend to use machines in most cases only because I don't have a lifting partner and I can remember MANY times where my brother had to help me get the barbell off my chest. If I do free weights these days, it is dumbbells only. I'd like to do squats again but I don't want to be that guy that goes down and has to take a seat because I can't get back up. I'd probably drop the weights.

In the past, I made tremendous improvements using machines, especially the leg press. It is one of my favorites.

Meh. I've failed at bench and squat without a spotter. That's what the catch bars are for.

OP, get thee to the weight room! You'll never regret it! I don't know what your level of comfort is, but try a program like Stronglifts 5X5. You can check it out at stronglifts.com. They even have an app you can download to track your progress at the gym.
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I'm doing strong curves right now. I only have hand weights and would love to get into using the barbell. Currently I squat with 45lb hand weights and would love to increase. I find it awkward and difficult to use the hand weights to squat with because my upperr body isn't as strong as my lower body. Im intimidated to use the barbell at the gym as I've never used one. That's why I wanted to do the machines haha!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm doing strong curves right now. I only have hand weights and would love to get into using the barbell. Currently I squat with 45lb hand weights and would love to increase. I find it awkward and difficult to use the hand weights to squat with because my upperr body isn't as strong as my lower body. Im intimidated to use the barbell at the gym as I've never used one. That's why I wanted to do the machines haha!

You have as much right to be in the weight room as anyone! You already know what you're doing, you're just going to transition that to barbells. You totally got this! Rock the weight room, sister!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I run mostly but when I do go to the gym I head straight to the Nautilus machines. I go run at 5:00AM and stop by to do a light set. With nobody there I can zip through quick and hit the road home. Usually its because ski season is coming.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

Compound movements using free weights are the foundation of any solid program. Machines have their place, but shouldn't be the foundation of your programming. The vast majority of what you do should be done with free weights...machines are good for some isolation work.

Machines are inferior as they don't allow you your natural motion...it also doesn't activate all of your little "assist" muscles. When you lift, you are doing more than lifting...you have to balance the bar, etc and engage all kinds of muscles that wouldn't otherwise be engaged using a machine. Machines will also jack your form up for when you eventually do move to free weights.
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

You have as much right to be in the weight room as anyone! You already know what you're doing, you're just going to transition that to barbells. You totally got this! Rock the weight room, sister!

Thanks for the encouragement !:)
  • robbyf1971
    robbyf1971 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You certainly don't have to follow the program, but the Stronglifts 5X5 website has a lot of good basic information on strength training, free weights vs machines, compound lifts vs isolation, etc. Good info for a beginner.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Not all machines are bad. Cable machines are good to use - I use those at the gym because you do have to have good form and use your body. I can also do a lot more exercises than just using free weights, using the cable machines.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Of the machines I prefer cable weight. Second have the handles on heim joints. Both of these use more muscle control.
    I also use squat machines because I can't do barbell squats.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Of the machines I prefer cable weight. Second have the handles on heim joints. Both of these use more muscle control.
    I also use squat machines because I can't do barbell squats.

I have shouder range of motion issues. Try goblet squats
  • dfavela1988
    dfavela1988 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    For myself i feel like free weights are at targeting certain muscles that i can seem grow or define compared to the machines. Now with that in mind i do use the machines more often than the weights for my workouts now.
  • darkenergie
    darkenergie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Gym membership could be used to workout with heavier free weights and to get in compound lifts with weighted barbells too. Like others mentioned, machines are only useful as accessory exercises and usually aren't good enough alone to replace all your strength training exercises.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to try barbell work! Start with the bar- most are 45 lbs, and you already know you can squat that!
  • SarahPeters3
    SarahPeters3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

A gym membership is a great way to start! Usually when you sign up they give you a free mini personal training session but at the very least they should be required to show you how to use the equipment safely always ask questions if you aren't sure how to use something thas what they are there for! Using barbells AND free weights can give better improvements overall!