How much sugar is TOO much sugar?

Options
Hey all. I have recently started a food diary with myfitnesspal, and I am struggling with exceeding my daily sugar intake.

The problem is that all of the sugars that are being recorded are coming from my fruits & vegetables. I eat a lot of them in a day, which is why my intake is higher than it "should" be.

So what I want to know is... how much sugar is too much sugar?? And is it alright that my fruits & veggies are exceeding my sugar intake?!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Unless you're diabetic I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is ok. As long as you are not over your total calories for the day, or have a medical condition affected by sugar, it is ok to go over.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I used to think that wasn't an issue then I got a diabetes type 2 diagnosis. Now I still eat fruit but I watch serving size and stay under my sugars.
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I cut out fruits and I eat a crap ton of vegetables a day and I'm getting less than 25 grams a day which is what authoritynutrition says a woman should eat in a day. I used to be an apple a day girl until I started the LCHF way of eating. Now, I have no need for them. Do I allow raspberries from time to time? yes. But, only has a dessert or for substance in a protein smooth. But, if you're healthy and not diabetic, you may not need to cut them out. I just have more energy without that natural sugars that fruit has.
  • anthony150paolucci
    anthony150paolucci Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    According to the American Heart Association, 25 grams of sugar is the recommended limit . Fruit and veggies have sugar yes, but they also contains fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. I wouldn't worry too much about sugar from fruits/vegetables. Try and stay away more from processed sugar.
  • chelshepherd
    chelshepherd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic, so that's not the issue. I am just new to the whole idea of journaling my food, so I am not sure if it's alright to exceed my sugars! I have yet to exceed daily calories, so that's definitely not the problem.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    According to the American Heart Association, 25 grams of sugar is the recommended limit . Fruit and veggies have sugar yes, but they also contains fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. I wouldn't worry too much about sugar from fruits/vegetables. Try and stay away more from processed sugar.

Is that from all sources?

Many people on here deride it, but the new USDA guidelines recommend limiting added sugars to less than 10% of calories, but I'm not aware of any guidelines about natural sugars. Personally, I don't worry about it.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP as others have said, unless you have a medical reason to restrict sugar, you probably don't need to worry too much, especially if most of your sugar is coming from fruits. A lot of people even change out that piece of data in their diary, tracking fiber instead of sugar.

• try2again
    Options
    I'm not diabetic, so that's not the issue. I am just new to the whole idea of journaling my food, so I am not sure if it's alright to exceed my sugars! I have yet to exceed daily calories, so that's definitely not the problem.

When I started on MFP, I expected my sugar numbers to be concerning, but it was actually the sodium that was consistently high, and I think more of a general health issue.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I cut out fruits and I eat a crap ton of vegetables a day and I'm getting less than 25 grams a day which is what authoritynutrition says a woman should eat in a day. I used to be an apple a day girl until I started the LCHF way of eating. Now, I have no need for them. Do I allow raspberries from time to time? yes. But, only has a dessert or for substance in a protein smooth. But, if you're healthy and not diabetic, you may not need to cut them out. I just have more energy without that natural sugars that fruit has.

What's wrong with fruit??
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I would think a max of 30g per day, but I personally try to keep it at 25 or less.
    The question you might ask is, is there a loss of bodyfat? Especially around your belly.
    If you have a glucometer to test your blood sugar at home, that will also tell you if your blood glucose is at an acceptable level.

You can limit fruit (lowering your carb macro), and instead increase your protein and fat macros. My own diet is 45-50% fat, and protein goal is 115g (protein grams the same number as my Lean Body Mass which is 115 lbs) and I lost weight very efficiently. If your veggies are non-starchy, the sugars from source will be minimal. Yay for veggies!!

Do you track fiber? Soluble fiber slows the entrance of sugar into your system, so whatever sugars you do eat, fiber will help to prevent spikes in blood sugar. Track fiber and increase it slowly to 35g or more!

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP I don't track sugar and I lost 121 pounds and per my doctor and blood work I am in excellent health. As most everyone said if you have medical reason then yes track, if not then don't worry about it. Also to add process sugar won't kill you, I'm still alive. ;)
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I would think a max of 30g per day, but I personally try to keep it at 25 or less.
    The question you might ask is, is there a loss of bodyfat? Especially around your belly.
    If you have a glucometer to test your blood sugar at home, that will also tell you if your blood glucose is at an acceptable level.

You can limit fruit (lowering your carb macro), and instead increase your protein and fat macros. My own diet is 45-50% fat, and protein goal is 115g (protein grams the same number as my Lean Body Mass which is 115 lbs) and I lost weight very efficiently. If your veggies are non-starchy, the sugars from source will be minimal. Yay for veggies!!

Do you track fiber? Soluble fiber slows the entrance of sugar into your system, so whatever sugars you do eat, fiber will help to prevent spikes in blood sugar. Track fiber and increase it slowly to 35g or more!

Why would someone who doesn't have diabetes be testing their blood sugar?

OP, I only pay attention to added sugar, as others have said. I don't think twice about sugar from fruits and vegetables.
  • chelshepherd
    chelshepherd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My main fitness goal right now is to lose belly fat that has sadly slowly added up because of working in a new desk job for about a year. So I would like to know what the most important nutrients are that I should be tracking!
  • try2again
    Options
    My main fitness goal right now is to lose belly fat that has sadly slowly added up because of working in a new desk job for about a year. So I would like to know what the most important nutrients are that I should be tracking!

Losing fat is just about the calories. Meeting your protein, fiber, & fat macros are key to satiety.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options

To lose weight the only thing you need to track is calories. Stay within your calorie parameters, stick with portion sizes and be accurate in your diary tracking. You'll be good to go :)
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing today in the UK, that diabetes is a problem world wide now. Countries which were seen as being in poverty only a few years ago are now in the same fix as us their populations are falling into the same diabetic difficulties as we have. The advice now seems to be becoming eat or drink as little added sugar as possible. Keep sweet stuff as an occasional treat. We are in general living and eating so very differently to how our relatives one hundred years ago would have lived and eaten which is closer to how our bodies were programmed to work.

I used to consider the added sugar level as something I need not worry about too much but increasingly it is becoming obvious our livers etc are finding added much harder to eliminate because of the quantities we have been eating, sweet foods are so enticing, now it seems so very important. I differentiate fruit and vegetable sugars because they come with natural fibre which make them more digestible but again too many portions a day could cause problems for some.

If I were 20 again, knowing what I do now, I would avoid so many of the foods I used to indulge in only having the very occasional treat. That way I would probably have avoided problems I have acquired.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options

Why would someone who doesn't have diabetes be testing their blood sugar?

OP, I only pay attention to added sugar, as others have said. I don't think twice about sugar from fruits and vegetables.

Because some people don't want to wait for diabetes to change their eating habits.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Men should not be eating a lot of sugar regardless of the source because fructose can mess with test levels. Though, some say that the fiber in the fruit helps break the sugar down so it is not as bad as high-fructose syrup. It's basically all broscience at this point.. but....

For you, it is fine.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    So what I want to know is... how much sugar is too much sugar??

It might be helpful to know that some countries have a sugar limit of 90g total from all sources. I don't know how they reached that number but you can use it to get an idea of where you stand.