Stubborn belly fat

Options
morganpalmer9
morganpalmer9 Posts: 73 Member
edited April 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been working out and dieting for the last year and have lost 20 lbs. but no matter how hard I keep working, I can't seem to lose my belly fat. Im nearly at the goal weight for my height (124 lbs at 5'4") I'm doing 30-35 min of cardio 6x a week as well as strength training (lots of abs) and eating well but nothing seems to work. I have a small waist (like 25 inches) but love handles so I have this weird "dip" between the two. I also have a layer off fat right below my belly button that I can't shed. I have these muscles (I think?) that form a sort of v line down but it sticks out and looks like fat when I'm wearing anything form fitting.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of this stubborn fat?? I know you can't spot reduce but man, this is annoying!!

I put photos for reference below-
http://s800.photobucket.com/user/mp11231/library/Mobile Uploads/2016-04

Replies

• Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    You look great.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Not more than your doing unfortunately. You look good and nobody will probably notice it but you. You can cut your caloric intake a little more and cut down your body fat percentage to really get the definition going but too low and you're likely to start losing muscle. You just have developed obliques. You can cut down on the oblique workout to try and reduce the volume but I have the same thing, large obliques that dominate my abdominal area.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the "V" your referring too is ligaments.
    abdominal-muscles-anatomy.jpg

Maybe look into recomposition.
  • morganpalmer9
    Options

Hah guess I can't get rid of those :smiley:
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    The connector ligaments are low in the hip. I think your oblique muscles have more volume than your rectus abdominus muscles. A lot of women would kill for your body, don't sweat the small stuff.
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    That damn layer of fat below the belly button has long been my nemesis!! I hate it when I wear a dress and though I'm thin there's still that frigging bump!!! I've decided it's normal and I'm just overly critical. You look fantastic :)
  • morganpalmer9
    Options

Maybe look into recomposition.

Any advice on that or resources for tips?

• morganpalmer9
    Options
    lindsayh87 wrote: »
    That damn layer of fat below the belly button has long been my nemesis!! I hate it when I wear a dress and though I'm thin there's still that frigging bump!!! I've decided it's normal and I'm just overly critical. You look fantastic :)

Hah thanks!! I know it's soooo annoying!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Based on your picture, you are probably 20-22% body fat, which will still require you to still cut down a bit more.

Personally, I would drop the cardio a bit, follow a structured program (I suspect you aren't based on the fact you are doing tons of abs) such as New Rules of Lifting for Women or StrongCurves. If you get closer to the lower end of an acceptable weight range, then it's possible that would need to do a bulk/cut cycle to add more mass.
  • morganpalmer9
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Based on your picture, you are probably 20-22% body fat, which will still require you to still cut down a bit more.

Personally, I would drop the cardio a bit, follow a structured program (I suspect you aren't based on the fact you are doing tons of abs) such as New Rules of Lifting for Women or StrongCurves. If you get closer to the lower end of an acceptable weight range, then it's possible that would need to do a bulk/cut cycle to add more mass.

How low do you think I should aim for? I definitely have a program worked out but it seems to have no effect at all on my belly but great effects everywhere else
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

How low do you think I should aim for? I definitely have a program worked out but it seems to have no effect at all on my belly but great effects everywhere else

Probably anothet 5 to 10 lbs. It will depend on genetics a bit. Generally, its cut (with a small deficit at 10 or 15% below maintenance) until you see greater ab definition. But if you get to the lower end about 110 and not see it, then a bulk may be needed.

What program do you following?
  • morganpalmer9
    Options

Probably anothet 5 to 10 lbs. It will depend on genetics a bit. Generally, its cut (with a small deficit at 10 or 15% below maintenance) until you see greater ab definition. But if you get to the lower end about 110 and not see it, then a bulk may be needed.

What program do you following?

Just one that my trainer created for me. I've been doing a cut for a longgggg time now and it hasn't had much effect. I upped from 1200 to 1500 calories based on my nutritionists recommendation but I don't know if that'll actually help with weight loss, but she seemed to think I was eating too little with the amount I work out. It's all very confusing for me to try to find out how much cardio vs weight to do and how many calories to eat :/
  • yami0385
    yami0385 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I still have belly fat and I'm 140lbs 5'3 body fat 26%. I may have to go down to 130lbs to reduce my body fat.
  • AbigailC17
    AbigailC17 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have the same problem. Unfortunately, we just have to lower our bodyfat more. Even at 20% my belly is still there, I have to be somewhere 17-18% for it to go down.
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    The last bit is always the most annoying. You look fit. Keep it up.
  • pauline_zhao
    pauline_zhao Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Same problem here