Thunder thighs are getting me down.

Options
I've been making great progress with weight loss over the past few months and have seen some great changes in my body by eating right and incorporating lots of exercise. The one thing that I haven't noticed a change in, however, is my upper thighs. They are still so jiggly and I feel like you can see the globs of fat on them... WHY WON'T THEY SHRINK!? I don't need a lecture on how spot reduction isn't real, but it's just frustrating seeing progress everywhere else.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    My thighs got much better when I started lifting heavy (for me) weights. Check out stronglifts 5X5 at stronglifts.com.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I've been making great progress with weight loss over the past few months and have seen some great changes in my body by eating right and incorporating lots of exercise. The one thing that I haven't noticed a change in, however, is my upper thighs. They are still so jiggly and I feel like you can see the globs of fat on them... WHY WON'T THEY SHRINK!? I don't need a lecture on how spot reduction isn't real, but it's just frustrating seeing progress everywhere else.

I hear you about the frustration. I've lost close to 50 pounds and my lovehandles are still absurd. You'll get there; keep doing what you're doing.
  • SarahPeters3
    SarahPeters3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My best friend has this problem and doing heavy leg exercises such as squats deadlifts and lunges help but cardio is a must unfortunately! HIIT training is helpful but I've found running works the best at getting rid of fat and toning if you don't have knee problems!
  • stolen_spoon
    stolen_spoon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it! I heard long ago that the longer it's been on you, the harder it is to get rid of it. This has proven true for me too with my little belly paunch and my chicken wings. Plus, don't forget that you're likely seeing slow changes over time, looking at your legs every day or looking in the mirror every day. They could be on their way out. Just keep at it, and you can do it! :smiley:
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Take measurements!!! You might be surprised to see they are getting smaller, just maybe not at the rate you hope. I've always hated my thighs, mostly the saddle bag area. keep going, they will shrink...eventually!
  • rebelcurly2
    rebelcurly2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You re not alone! :/
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Lift. And Measure. Seriously. My thighs are big, at any size and body composition they are big. But you know what? In the last month I have lost an inch off each thigh, and if I didn't measure I'd never know.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Genetics probably, blame your mum and dad
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options
    Because of genetics. You get to blame your parents for this! ;)
    Last to go, first place to gain is in different places for everyone.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Girl, no your thunder thighs are keeping you up!

Kidding.

Card carrying member of the pear shaped committee here...I found I got a lot happier when I started using them instead of fighting against them. Spinning basically saved my life... has made them streamlined and toned and strong and made my butt the perkiest it's ever been.

They're never going to be supermodel legs, but at least I have a butt and I can now use them to do something I enjoy. Took me a long time to stop being miserable about them though.

• G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Girl, no your thunder thighs are keeping you up!

Kidding.

Card carrying member of the pear shaped committee here...I found I got a lot happier when I started using them instead of fighting against them. Spinning basically saved my life... has made them streamlined and toned and strong and made my butt the perkiest it's ever been.

They're never going to be supermodel legs, but at least I have a butt and I can now use them to do something I enjoy. Took me a long time to stop being miserable about them though.

Same as what Hell_flower said. Use'em and you'll appreciate them all the more!

Also, if they have become particularly jiggly, that may be a good sign. I have noticed that fat, especially belly, hips and thighs, get's really jiggly during weight loss then shrinks and firms, than gets jiggly again... Be patient, your body is dealing with some serious restucturation right now!
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My best friend has this problem and doing heavy leg exercises such as squats deadlifts and lunges help but cardio is a must unfortunately! HIIT training is helpful but I've found running works the best at getting rid of fat and toning if you don't have knee problems!

Same for me too, I do both squats and running but appearance is so much better the more running I do. Weights/squats just seem to push any fat further out making legs look huge. Not a good look for me!

• cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have this problem too. I've lost nearly 40lbs and 3" off my thighs while lifting as heavy as I can. For all that my legs are still lumpy/bumpy/jiggly, BUT....they're also a lot stronger and more firm. It's frustrating that I can feel it but can't see it at all. It's taking a looooong time to improve on them but it IS happening slowly. I know they'll never look perfect, but I have faith that as long as I keep staying the course with diet/weights/and a little sprinkle of cardio here and there they'll keep improving. Everyone has that spot that's an ongoing battle I think....
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I had to dip pretty low on the scale and body fat% for my legs to slim down. And still, they were fatty. My ribs were showing and my face looked really different and skinny, but legs fatty. After I got as lean as I could I ran a bulk cycle and now I see that even though my legs got bigger they are more SHAPELY and don't look like a straight sausage with a knee anymore.

Good story, I know. I haven't finished my coffee yet so don't have great advice at the moment.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. My problem is the inner thighs. As someone said, I noticed the more I do, the flabbier they seems to become, which is very frustrating. I guess its natures way of shifting the fat to the forefront. I plan to keep on the for the next 100 days and hope to see some great improvement.
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I can't say i have anyone area bigger than the other. But i too have yet to see inches come off my highs, or even calves for that matter. But i'm starting to see definition around my knee. I've always had pretty muscular legs.. the added fat doesn't help. :s

I have a feeling my legs will be the last to go.
  • texasf1ght
    texasf1ght Posts: 70 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yeah, this is so weird! Glad I'm not the only one. It does seem like just keeping those numbers dropping is the only thing that helps. I feel lucky that my stomach is going so quickly, but I wish my inner thighs would catch up. It's even dispersed differently within my thighs. For example I love the way my quads and outer thighs looks, but I feel like my inner thighs belong on an entirely different woman. I feel like most of my body weight is held there. So much so that it's hard for the to wear shorts when I work out because they just creep up and it's so unflattering. I do outdoor workouts, and I live in Texas, so it'd be really nice to rock some shorts once the temperature rises and not feel so self-conscious about it. I'll just keep on keepin' on for now.
  • Treehugger_88
    Treehugger_88 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Agree that cycling will help tone them. I have that problem too, all the women in my family have thunder thighs. Darn genetics! When I was a backpacker I got sickly thin but still had those thunder thighs. Pretty sure my femurs are a size 6 just on their own.
  • KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Awh man, this thread is just what the doctor ordered.
    I too have lost 30 pounds and changed clothes sizes a few times but my outer thighs (ie saddle bags) and especially my inner thighs that have gotten all soft and mushy have been DRIVING ME CRAZY and litterally changing my mood ! Reading these really helps me. I am not alone and neither are you.
    So gonna keep doing what I'm doing and gonna look ahead, with all of you.

Thanks guys !!!