Need advice on protein shakes!

Options
dtlp
dtlp Posts: 46 Member
I'm vegetarian and getting close to no protein in my diet and it's really effecting my body. I want to try protein shakes but I want something that's as natural as possible and doesn't cost too much. What are the best brands to go for? And is there anything else I need to know about them?

Replies

• becbo22
    becbo22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The protein powder I use is pure enzymatically processed brown rice protein. This means chemicals are not used to separate the protein from the rice. This is an unflavored protein, which I prefer because I avoid artificial sweeteners that are found in a lot of protein powders. To make a shake I use 10oz low fat milk, 2 teaspoons unrefined cane sugar, and one teaspoon natural cocoa powder. You get the nutrition without all of the artificial and chemical ingredients. The protein I use is called Nutribiotics Brown Rice Protein and I bought it on Amazon.
  • MultipleHigh5s
    MultipleHigh5s Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My husband uses the unflavored premium muscle feast. It has no artificial sweeteners and seems pretty good to me. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AQ5CIWM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?qid=1459980003&sr=8-1&keywords=premium+muscle+feast&pi=SY200_QL40&th=1&psc=1
  • NA1979
    NA1979 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've had so much protein powders recently, I'm just sick at the sight of them.sorry not a useful contribution I know.
  • dtlp
    Options
    Thanks so much guys I'll check them out!

Haha I never really had interest in them, but a friend looked at my macros and told me I need to start using them asap.
  • vesteroid
    vesteroid Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I dont know much about being a vegetarian, but both of those listed above have milk in them or are derived from milk. Can you have milk as a veg?

From what I have read the vegetarian proteins are quite expensive compared to whey.
  • becbo22
    becbo22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    vesteroid wrote: »
    Sorry, I dont know much about being a vegetarian, but both of those listed above have milk in them or are derived from milk. Can you have milk as a veg?

From what I have read the vegetarian proteins are quite expensive compared to whey.

Rice protein does not contain milk and she could mix it with a non dairy milk like almond milk. Also, she's vegetarian, not vegan.
  • MultipleHigh5s
    MultipleHigh5s Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I thought vegetarians could have milk and eggs while vegans can't . But I could be wrong.
  • dtlp
    Options
    Yes I can have dairy although I try to limit it, so I'm going to mix it with almond milk :)
  • dtlp
    Options
    Vegetarians can eat dairy products, vegans cannot eat any animal products.
  • vesteroid
    vesteroid Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for clearing that up for me.

There are thousands of whey proteins out there.... I personally think one of the best bangs for the buck is the cytosport at costco. You can easily spend a lot more, I am just not sure you get a lot more in some of the designer brands.
  • dtlp
    Options
    Okay I'll have a look at the one too, thanks :)
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Vega & hemp nutiva. Also as a vegetarian consider upping your nuts, beans, dairy, eggs & dark leafy greens. All excellent sources of protein
  • marylemay
    marylemay Posts: 6 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm not vegetarian but I digest a vegetarian protein easier. I use Vega protein powder in the berry flavor with almond milk, some bananas, spinach and frozen strawberries every morning. It lasts a good 3 hours in my stomach until I get hungry again
  • Rit1603
    Rit1603 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I use sunwarrior organic plus, they have three flavor (vanilla,choc,unflavored) its vegan and I find it highly digestible for my body. At health stores you can find single dosage packets so you can try them out. Good luck!

https://sunwarrior.com/store/product/classic-plus-vanilla-1kg
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    dtlp wrote: »

Haha I never really had interest in them, but a friend looked at my macros and told me I need to start using them asap.

What about adding protein rich foods to your diet? Beans, nuts, peanut butter, soy beans, edamame, broccoli?

There's 30g+ protein in a cup of peanuts.

I mean, protein powders are great, but if you're just looking to up your protein intake, protein shakes are far from the only answer. Especially if cost is a deciding factor.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/ thoroughly and honestly reviews every such powder and food known to man, woman, and cis boom ba.
  • dtlp
    Options
    drwilseyjr wrote: »
    dtlp wrote: »

What about adding protein rich foods to your diet? Beans, nuts, peanut butter, soy beans, edamame, broccoli?

There's 30g+ protein in a cup of peanuts.

I mean, protein powders are great, but if you're just looking to up your protein intake, protein shakes are far from the only answer. Especially if cost is a deciding factor.

My daily intake consists of oats, spinach chickpeas, avocado, tofu, green veggies, and carrots. The problem is my calorie limit is 1200 so it's hard to fit all of that food in and get the right amount of protein. I don't really like eggs or nuts so it doesn't help. Peanut butter is way to many calories.

Thanks so much for all the help everyone I appreciate it heaps :)
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I use Perfect Nutritions perfect whey. It's whey concentrate sweetened with stevia
  • lauraspires27
    lauraspires27 Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have meal replacement shakes which contain protein, to try and kick start my body being used to less food before I switch up my meals, but I use unsweetened almond milk and it is the best thing i've ever discovered. Makes any shake taste so good. I have vanilla flavoured shakes and they are genuinely tasty. Definitely go unsweetened!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Most of them are a con. Just have a normal, inexpensive shake. The addition of the word protein just bumps up a regular milkshake by double the price....