I'm giving up

Options

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I have also been giving 100% of my checks weekly to getting my car fixed so I have had 20$ a week to buy all my groceries. I get my car back friday so I will have extra money each week to do this. When I don't have enough food I either just don't eat or I eat the *kitten* food my roommates have. I CAN do this and I WILL do this. No matter how much I've cheated (not a lot) I still have only had water for three weeks. Oh and my cheat meal I'm talking about was a pork chop & brocolli w/ cheese sauce . But my plan was to make tuna on a whole grain wrap with a pickle but woke up late for work so I couldn't make that. But before a few weeks ago I would have stopped at McDonald's on the way to work and spent 20$ so, yes, I am making progress
    Gaining 4 pounds of the 9 I lost discouraged me and I can't shake it but I still lost 5 pounds so that's a start !

Realistically, if you were not eating at all because you have no money, you would be seriously underweight, not have weight to lose. So, you are eating something. Have you lost anything in these last weeks? If not, then actually you are eating more than you should, not less. Are you logging your food? No matter what you are eating, be it lettuce wraps or burgers, you can still count the calories.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I felt like it was hopeless when I started. The only thing that kept me going was fear that my weight would become MORE of a problem and the realization that it was already a problem in my life. That was it. Because changing my habits was hard. And my goal seemed impossible.

But I knew this:
    (1) My weight was making doing the things I love difficult
    (2) My weight was making caring for the people I love difficult
    (3) My weight would make caring for me difficult if I was fully disabled

So I set a really modest goal. Stop gaining weight. That was it. I felt like that was something I could achieve. I asked MFP to tell me how much I could eat and lose 1 lb/week. I was astounded when it told me I could eat 2000 calories a day (approximately). I figured even if I only stayed at the same weight for the next 2 months following that plan it was a victory. To my surprise I lost weight. And I never looked back.

16 months later and my life is SO very different. I can do the things I love again. I can go hiking. I can be active in the performing arts. I'm still limited by my physical disability, but I'm no longer limited by my weight. I buy clothes in the regular section of the store. I have OPTIONS at Goodwill. I don't feel like I'm wearing a fat suit that no one can see me in.

If the diet is too expensive, reconsider what you mean by diet. You don't need "diet foods". You don't need a fancy gym membership. All you need is to reduce your portions. That's it.
  • LahrysaTebo2015
    LahrysaTebo2015 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Thank you all. I have also been giving 100% of my checks weekly to getting my car fixed so I have had 20$ a week to buy all my groceries. I get my car back friday so I will have extra money each week to do this. When I don't have enough food I either just don't eat or I eat the *kitten* food my roommates have. I CAN do this and I WILL do this. No matter how much I've cheated (not a lot) I still have only had water for three weeks. Oh and my cheat meal I'm talking about was a pork chop & brocolli w/ cheese sauce . But my plan was to make tuna on a whole grain wrap with a pickle but woke up late for work so I couldn't make that. But before a few weeks ago I would have stopped at McDonald's on the way to work and spent 20$ so, yes, I am making progress
    Gaining 4 pounds of the 9 I lost discouraged me and I can't shake it but I still lost 5 pounds so that's a start !

Realistically, if you were not eating at all because you have no money, you would be seriously underweight, not have weight to lose. So, you are eating something. Have you lost anything in these last weeks? If not, then actually you are eating more than you should, not less. Are you logging your food? No matter what you are eating, be it lettuce wraps or burgers, you can still count the calories.

I lost 9 lbs the first week and gained 4 the second week. No change in my diet
  • LKArgh
    Options

9 lbs was an insane loss and most of it was water weight. It was inevitable that you would regain some. So, stop whining, you are doing fine :)
  • LahrysaTebo2015
    Options

9 lbs was an insane loss and most of it was water weight. It was inevitable that you would regain some. So, stop whining, you are doing fine :)

Well how am I supposed to knoe that? This is how people learn
  • LKArgh
    Options

Well how am I supposed to knoe that? This is how people learn

You will expect a loss of 1 to 2 lbs per week. Average. So, some weeks you lose more, some weeks you lose none at all, some weeks you gain back a bit. It is normal. If you are losing nothing or gaining over the course of 3-4 weeks, then you know you are doing something wrong. Otherwise, you are fine. Stay positive.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    For the weight your profile indicates you have to lose, set as a goal something between 1 and 2 years. Do not expect it to happen in a few months. The more realistic expectations you have, the easier it will be.
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I can't do it anymore. It's been 3 weeks and I'm lying to myself now. Working over nights and dieting on a budget is just too hard. No one around me is supportive. I hate being fat but I hate that I can't do this even more. I don't think think it's going to work out. I feel lke *kitten* every day that I'm. It dieting bt I can't afford it and I can't stay motivated
    The only consolation you have is being part of the majority who give up on themselves. You are now part of that herd.
    ...or maybe not...
    It could just be that you're discouraged, and we've all been there. This is not easy.
    You must believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit. This is how a winner thinks. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards.

vfjkp5u1qr2k.jpg

• LahrysaTebo2015
    Options
    For the weight your profile indicates you have to lose, set as a goal something between 1 and 2 years. Do not expect it to happen in a few months. The more realistic expectations you have, the easier it will be.

My goal is to lose 80 pounds in 20 months
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options

It took me twice that long to lose 80 pounds.
  • LahrysaTebo2015
    Options
    RWClary wrote: »

It took me twice that long to lose 80 pounds.

My dad lost 110 in a year. Everyone is different
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, think where you will be this time next year if you do, if your extremely lucky you will stay the same but but more likely even heavier.
    It's awful to be strapped for cash but, losing weight doesn't need to be expensive. It shouldn't be - were consuming less
  • LKArgh
    Options

It does sound realistic, it is about 1 lb per week.
  • cate320
    cate320 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Did you try setting mini goals rather than focusing on how much you have left to lose? I have a similar amount of weight I want to lose, and I know it can be daunting at times to see how much is left, and feel hopeless.

But if you break it down into smaller chunks, and reward yourself (just not with food!) for any weight lost, it will help keep your motivation up. Like, say "If I lose 5 lbs, I will buy those shoes I have been eyeing".
  • LahrysaTebo2015
    Options
    cate320 wrote: »
    Did you try setting mini goals rather than focusing on how much you have left to lose? I have a similar amount of weight I want to lose, and I know it can be daunting at times to see how much is left, and feel hopeless.

But if you break it down into smaller chunks, and reward yourself (just not with food!) for any weight lost, it will help keep your motivation up. Like, say "If I lose 5 lbs, I will buy those shoes I have been eyeing".

My mini goal is the next 10 pounds I lose I'm buying an outfit (from salvation army cuz I'm hoping it won't fit for too long)
  • mumbles2013
    mumbles2013 Posts: 289 Member
    Options

That is totally doable.
  • LahrysaTebo2015
    Options

That is totally doable.

Oh, I'm doing it