Is one hour a day enough??

Options
I am new to exercising. Trying to lose 100 lbs. Started power walking in the woods everyday 2 months ago and started out slowly since I got out of breath very easy and my body hurt. Gradually moved myself up to 30 minutes a day but i noticed it wasnt doing anything for me anymore. So 3 days ago I moved up to powerwalking on a walking trail to 1 hour. Is this enough? I feel like its not doing much anymore and I have only lost 21 lbs in 2 months but i am also dieting. You would think i would have dropped a few pant sizes by now. if my heart is pounding, body hurting and I cant have a converstation while doing it I have a better feeling that i did a good job. I dont want to run cause my knee's kill me when i do this (plus still to fat in my mind to be running around in front of people LOL). My husband is telling me i need to move it up to 2 hours a day to see results but doing it one hour is a drag already. I was thinking about getting a elipitical, if i do this for one hour and walk for a hour will i see results sooner? Thanks!

Replies

• 4jenniferk
    4jenniferk Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Patience... 21lbs in two months is already significant. Best advice I ever received here was to change it up. Change up your eating, your exercising and your mindset.... then the scale will start to move for you again. Keep up the good work.
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    I think an hour a day is fantastic! Also, 21 lbs in two months is also fantastic! Keep up the great work. It takes time. We all didn't gain the extra weight overnight, and it won't come off overnight.

Do what you are comfortable with for exercise, but if you stick to an hour every day, you are doing better than most - me included!
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If I could lose 21 pounds in 2 months, I'd be jumping for joy! This is real life, not Biggest Loser. The results you are seeing already are higher than average! An hour a day is sufficient exercise - if you push too much, you will burn yourself out and injure your body. Also, it isn't sustainable to do 2 hours a day for the long-term and what you are trying to do is create a new life and lifestyle, not just a short-term fix! I say keep doing what you're doing!!!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I think the progress you have made is fantastic. 21 lbs in a month is jaw-droppingly good.
    If you want to do more, then consider adding in strength training/circut training or something else to build muscle in addition to burning fat.
  • loseatonlady
    loseatonlady Posts: 160
    Options
    Way to go & you're doing great for two months! Everyone is right - patience! I had to lose 125 pounds and started in August of 2008 and I'm still working on it! I started simply by walking my dog around the block & now I'm a certified Personal Trainer. Just be patient with yourself, add to your workouts every day & in no time you'll be there! Friend me if you'd like the support & know that I've been there .... NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!
  • Hype
    Hype Posts: 349
    Options
    Firstly! 21lb in 2 months is amazing, i had 78lbs to lose and in 3 months, ive lost 16lb/18lbs. We all loose weight at different paces. 1 hour of walking is really good, and as long as your eating right, i don't see it makes much more diff to if you did 2 hours to an hour - you just get extra calories to eat.

I will say though, bodies get used to the exercise and dietings and calorie levels. So if you weight loss isn't as good as it was or is slowing down or stopped - maybe its because you need to change the exercise, challenge yourself on a different level, or up your calorie intake. My body learnt to surive on 1200 cals a day without losing.

Hope this helps and again, well done on the 21lbs!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    dieting is enough if you don't feel comfortable enough for exercise. I think an hour would be plenty, and 21 lbs in two months is great!
  • kursejohn
    kursejohn Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You need to change up your exercise routine. Maybe add hand weights. Your body will eventually settle into a routine and come to stand still if you don't keep shocking it. Congrats on loosing 20+ lbs.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    An hour a day is plenty! 21 pounds in 2 months is a little over 2.5 pounds a week.. which is a bit high, but since you have a 100 pounds to lose, its prob. ok for now.. when you start losing more, I'd be looking to maybe lose a pound a week.

It also takes a while to lose pants sizes and the like. If your eating correctly and working out, it will happen. Also remember that you lose inches before you lose pounds, so while the scale may not be moving your arms, legs and stomach are prob. getting smaller.

I'd also look into a workout DVD that incorporates some weight training. The more muscle you build, the more fat that you'll burn and the higher your metabolism will be.
  • mandykasase
    mandykasase Posts: 110
    Options
    I agree, also, add some strength training to your routine that might just make the difference. I found that after a while walking alone was not as effective as it was in the beggining so i added some weights to build muscle and help burn more fat.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have to agree with the others, 2 lbs a week is the most recommended for a healthy lifestyle and you are way over that. You should be extremly happy with your results.

Remember the more you exercise the more you need to eat to fuel your body. An hour is probably fine for now, let your body get used to it before moving up!

Make sure you are getting lots of protein, fiber and water!

Good Luck and Cheer Up!
  • Logeese
    Logeese Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies! Funny you should meantion biggest loser cause my husband said I needed to watch that show and excersice the way they are to see results LOL. He dont have a weight problem so he dont know. For now I will stick to 1 hour and try adding in some weights.