13»

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Tsartele wrote: »
    kimouette2 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I feel like I am giving up on my caloric goal and I know that this is all because of my lack of willpower/sugar cravings/carb cravings/and the fact that I am surrounded by sugary food and chocolate at work.

Couple of weeks ago I felt like nothing could stop me! I was eating right, I was finally losing weight and feeling amazing while respecting my caloric goals. But cheat after cheat, I am now completely unable to stick to my goal... I don't even monitor everything I eat because it is too disappointing...

Deep down unside I know what I want, I do exercise almost every single day, I love healthy food and I know what is right for me, but I feel like a junky when it comes to resisting to a cookie or a piece of cake.
    I am a vegetarian and would like to keep it that way.

Do you guys have any recommendation? Have you been there and figured out a way to get back on track?

Thanks a lot for your help!
    Kim

Personally I recommend something to help curb the cravings and for me that was Adipex. Like one of the other guys on here who recommended Contrave these doctor prescribed drugs can make a world of difference. I take one pill in the morning and consume 1200-1350 cals a day and have lost 18 lbs in 5 weeks. It just plain works. I would suggest that you include your normal workout routine as well to get the maximum benefit. Find a weight loss doctor in your area and have them create a program that will work for you. I believe that you should use every tool at your disposal to achieve your goals.

OP only has 15 lbs to lose I don't think prescription weight loss drugs are warranted here...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think you have to deconstruct the hunger. Most of the examples you give are temptation, habit not genuine hunger.

I believe in feeding real hunger and gradually redirect one habit at a time.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hi guys,
    I feel like I am giving up on my caloric goal and I know that this is all because of my lack of willpower/sugar cravings/carb cravings/and the fact that I am surrounded by sugary food and chocolate at work.

Couple of weeks ago I felt like nothing could stop me! I was eating right, I was finally losing weight and feeling amazing while respecting my caloric goals. But cheat after cheat, I am now completely unable to stick to my goal... I don't even monitor everything I eat because it is too disappointing...

Deep down unside I know what I want, I do exercise almost every single day, I love healthy food and I know what is right for me, but I feel like a junky when it comes to resisting to a cookie or a piece of cake.
    I am a vegetarian and would like to keep it that way.

Do you guys have any recommendation? Have you been there and figured out a way to get back on track?

Thanks a lot for your help!
    Kim

@kimouette2 I had the same problem and gave up over and over for 40 years and wrecked my health until a year and a half ago.

Cravings are not NORMAL and should not exist if the macro is correct or at least in my case but the right one can be very different from person to person. I found the only reason I had cravings was because I had the wrong macro for 40 years and I found it by accident when trying to manage my body pain by diet.

I found it was wrong for me to worry about calories before I found a macro that worked to cut out all of my carvings within 3-4 weeks after testing several for about a month each.

Kim do you think you could do this thing if you had no cravings.
  • kimouette2
    kimouette2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Based on what you guys said or asked, here are couple of clarifications...

I know how proteins are important, I do meet the official recommandation based on MFP, and I do try to eat more protein than I used to (I drink protein shakes, eat plenty of nuts, often trade some deserts for soft tofu mixed with pure cacao, normally eat plenty of tempeh, tofu, lentils, beans and quinoa on a weekly basis etc....). But honestly, even when I exceed my protein ratio, it doesnt affect my sugar/carb cravings.

About chocolat.... please dont just look at the last 4 days of my diary! Everything is very messy because it's Easter, it also happens to be my birthday and I got all these chocolates and cookies as gifts! Look at January, February or the 2 first weeks of March, cuz the last 2 weeks are exceptionally catastrophic.
    I do crave these foods on a daily basis, but I almost never get to eat that many extra calories cuz I dont eat out or at other people's house that often!
    So if you try to understand how I meet my macros and if I eat enough vegetables and proteins, dont just look at the last 5 days!

Easter, birthday, Valentine's day, Halloween and Christmas are not very good phases in my weight loss journey !

kshama2001, I have just changed my setting to show sodium instead fiber... like you asked. But again, if you want to analyse my diary, dont just look at the past 4-5 days (they are just not normal days).

I do take a multivitamins and minerals supplement, but magnesium is not 100% supplemented in these capsules I take. I will give magnesium supplements a try, even though I thingk I do eat couple of high magnesium food in a week. Just not bananas though, cuz even though they are my favorite fruit (used to eat them EVERY morning in my smoothie), they give me very bad stomachaches...

I only have 15 pounds to lose, so there's no way I am taking any drug to lose weight. This is not a life threatening situation where if I dont lose a lot of weight my heart might give up on me. I simply need to take care of my bad habits and cravings and try not to be too drastic, that's all (which is a lot for me!)

GaleHawkins, maybe the macros are not perfect, but by monitoring my cravings (in my personal agenda), I know for a fact that macros can not be the ONLY responsible cause. I do have hormonal cravings (like many other women on this forum), and also, deep down inside, I know, I remember how chocolat and cookies have always been associated with good moments in my life. Also, I am very stressed (building my own house + working full time) + I quit smoking 2 years ago + I sometimes have insomnia... and like I said, I am surrounded by sugary foods at work. So I know that this is mainly a mental struggle with couple of physical obstacles. Macros are important, but I really feel like all these things I just mentioned are the main reason why I am struggling.
  • Mystical64
    Mystical64 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Then you aren't eating enough.
  • kimouette2
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It's probably true, I did not eat enough for a while which drove me in the extreme opposite direction: where I still feel hungry after eating an extra 1000 calories!
    There are a lot of tweaks and things to try : like allowing myself to eat what I want to eat but in controlled portion, also try to work on my stress and sleep problem, cutting my breakfast in two meals, adding magnesium supplements, drinking more etc... I have lots of things to try and thanks to you guys for pointing out all these good ideas!
  • mcbhele
    mcbhele Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water. Sometimes hunger cravings are due to dehydration. Water helps me eat less because it tricks.me.into.feeling fuller
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    More vegetables. Once I refocused on making sure I got my daily 5+ servings of those, things started falling back into place. I weigh and measure everything, because I do not trust my perception. I do my best to 'eat the rainbow', and we're not talking skittles :) One little change at a time....I started by simply cutting the cream out of my morning coffee. I wanted those calories for something else. You know what you really want, so take each little decision of the day and make the choice that will give you what you really want.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It's probably true, I did not eat enough for a while which drove me in the extreme opposite direction: where I still feel hungry after eating an extra 1000 calories!
    There are a lot of tweaks and things to try : like allowing myself to eat what I want to eat but in controlled portion, also try to work on my stress and sleep problem, cutting my breakfast in two meals, adding magnesium supplements, drinking more etc... I have lots of things to try and thanks to you guys for pointing out all these good ideas!

Looking at your diary I wonder if you have breakfast and all meals? As your sugar level may be dropping and then you need a hit of it?
  • kimouette2
    Options
    6pkdreamer wrote: »

Looking at your diary I wonder if you have breakfast and all meals? As your sugar level may be dropping and then you need a hit of it?
    I always eat atleast 3 meals a day (+morning + afternoon + night snack).
    If you say that because of my diary, know that I recently modified my diary settings to have the 3 snacks separated from my main meals. Adding these 3 categories messed up all the food I had already logged.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    You don't have to give up any food to lose weight. If you want to give up foods, only give up foods that you are willing to give up forever. If you figure out a sustainable eating plan while you are losing weight then you can stick to that basic plan (with a few more calories) for maintenance.

Here's my suggestion:

Start over. Eat the foods you normally eat in the amounts you normally eat, including all of the "bad" foods. Log everything. Always log everything, good days and bad days, so that you have accurate data.

After a couple weeks, go back through your log and see where you might make some sustainable changes. Things like smaller portions or substituting some foods that you like with other foods that you also like and that are satisfying to you.

Also, don't be too aggressive with your weekly loss rate. I you are hungry at 2 pounds per week, start with 0.5 pounds per week (after the initial baseline logging) and see if that works hunger-wise. If it does, you might go for 1 pound per week or just stay at 0.5 pounds per week. Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint.

So this! This is what I did and not only did I lose the extra weight, I've now been maintaining the loss for several years.

Op-don't set yourself up for failure by making unrealistic changes. Continue eating the foods you enjoy, just focus on portion sizes and eating within your calorie parameters :)
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I also have a sweet tooth. My recommendation to you is stay away from sweets outside of fruits and honey in moderation. Cold turkey or live with the unhealthy consequences. It's a decision after all. Close that door and like an alcoholic in recovery don't look back.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Maybe even 0.5lb a week is too much to aim for (especially with a small amount to lose). I'm petite, so my maintenance calories are very low anyway, so in order to remain healthy and not feel hungry I am aiming for around 1-1.5lb a MONTH loss. It's slow, but I don't feel like I'm suffering. (I've had a crazy week of dance workshops so my diary is a bit bonkers at the moment).

Another way to try and come to terms with cravings it to use rolling average. The app does this well. So there will be some days you are higher and some days lower, but try and maintain an average calorie count. I have days where I would really like some chocolate or a beer, and other days where I'm not bothered. By working on a rolling average this means I don't have to restrict myself.
  • kimouette2
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi guys!

Just wanted to let you know that I have been doing what I said I would (giving up on my restrictive diet and just eat whatever I feel like). I have been doing this for almost 2 weeks now and was really scared of the scale because I have exceeded my caloric goal EVERY SINGLE DAY for the past 2 weeks. I still do feel guilty when I overeat of give in to eating not 1 or 2 but 3 or 4 cookies.... But guess what? I'm losing weight! I weighed in once every week and each time lost some weight. I cant believe it. I do kill it on the threadmill 6 days a week, but that used to not be enough when I was on my super strict diet!

Like I said, not only do I eat all my workout calories back, but I always eat an extra 100-1000 calories (which is a lot considering I am on a 1330cal/day plan) and the scale is not punishing me... I still cant quite believe it and kind of feel like there's a catch somewhere (like I'm gonna gain weight from all these extra calories in 2 or 3 weeks or something), it's just unbelievable!

Right now, I am so happy
    :smile:
  • rachelli342
    rachelli342 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't know if someone also said it but I find fruit to be the substitute if I am craving sugar- my body is craving the vitamins that come w I th the sugar not the sugar itself, when you go to work pack oranges, apples mangos and multi vitamins. That is the only thing I have found that works really well.
  • Fizzstah
    Fizzstah Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm the same but I'm taking my own snacks for work and swap cravings for healthier alternatives. So I know I can't cut carbs so I've switched to brown and smaller portions. Vegetable chips/crisps, dark chocolate etc...