Switching from cardio only to STRENGTH TRAINING. Do I modify my calorie intake and/or macros ratio ?

Options
2»

Replies

• KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @kellyj0729
    That's awesome !! I love hearing success stories in the making. Thanks for the encouragement :wink:
    @MichelleLei1
    Heavy lifting as I could not do a 13th rep. So as a beginner depending on the exercise it is from 9 - 25 pounds. Most of her exercises are combined so fatigue comes faster. ( for me anyway )
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    To be honest since you're only lifting around 9-25 pounds while in a deficit you shouldn't expect to put on any muscle. You might see some strength gains and a bit more definition, but it'll be minimal at best. On the up side, since you're doing more reps with lighter weights, you'll be burning slightly more calories than pure strength training.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Even though I was literally dripping wet ?

Completely irrelevant.
    If two people both lift 5 tons of weight during their workout and one person is dripping wet and the other is finding it an absolute breeze they both burn the same number of calories. Which is not many!

Energy (calories) expenditure is mass moved over distance not feeling hard or sweating.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Completely irrelevant.
    If two people both lift 5 tons of weight during their workout and one person is dripping wet and the other is finding it an absolute breeze they both burn the same number of calories. Which is not many!

Energy (calories) expenditure is mass moved over distance not feeling hard or sweating.

Almost.

The work energy =/= metabolic energy.

While it is true that work energy is the mass moved over distance, the metabolic energy is a function of several other factors. These include heat transfer, oxygen transport, etc.

We can assume that the person dripping wet is way less efficient (wasted energy to peripheral circulatory effort, sweat transport, heat transport).

The basic principal sijomal outlined remains the same: HR is not a good indicator of effort in weightlifting.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Completely irrelevant.

Almost.

The work energy =/= metabolic energy.

While it is true that work energy is the mass moved over distance, the metabolic energy is a function of several other factors. These include heat transfer, oxygen transport, etc.

We can assume that the person dripping wet is way less efficient (wasted energy to peripheral circulatory effort, sweat transport, heat transport).

The basic principal sijomal outlined remains the same: HR is not a good indicator of effort in weightlifting.

I stand corrected!
    "Completely" was over-stating the point.
  • KrystinaMTL
    Options
    Got it.
    Thanks guys.
    Love having pros looking out for me :smile:
  • KrystinaMTL
    Options
    I am now on week 2 and REALLY enjoying it ! It is so empowering to lift to your maximum capacity.
    Eating more protein, trying to hit my 120g daily and am succeeding most days.
    Rest days are playing with my head but I know from reading other posts that I am not alone in this.
    Discipline is the key right ?
    :smile:
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Question is...
    Read somewhere that I should up my Protein to 40% of my total intake, (with 40% carbs and 20% Fat)
    Should up up my calorie intake too ?

I would keep your protein intake at .8g.lb of your TARGET body weight or if you can calculate your lean mass then .8g/lb of lean mass. So I agree, I'd put protein at say 120-130g protein per day. I would not increase your calorie intake because you're still needing to lose weight. If you increase calories you'll gain weight, and it mostly won't be muscle.

I've read over and over on many books and sites that you cannot build muscle in a calorie deficit. I do not believe that is true. If you have extra fat stores, that extra fat can be used for calorie surplus, and that is exactly what you want, to burn the fat. So keep your calories at your MFP or IIFYM.com calculated deficit and adjust your macros but don't up your calorie intake.

Is there a reason to switch to weight training over cardio? Why not both? Reduce, but don't eliminate your cardio, then add in weight training. That's what I did almost a year ago and the results have been great. Fat loss and weight loss have continued if not improved and muscle gain continued. Muscle gain is slow in a deficit but you're better off concentrating on the fat loss while slowly building muscle in my opinion. At least until you're closer to your goal. I believe there is always a place for cardio. But that's just me.
  • KrystinaMTL
    Options
    Question is...
    Read somewhere that I should up my Protein to 40% of my total intake, (with 40% carbs and 20% Fat)
    Should up up my calorie intake too ?

I would keep your protein intake at .8g.lb of your TARGET body weight or if you can calculate your lean mass then .8g/lb of lean mass. So I agree, I'd put protein at say 120-130g protein per day. I would not increase your calorie intake because you're still needing to lose weight. If you increase calories you'll gain weight, and it mostly won't be muscle.

I've read over and over on many books and sites that you cannot build muscle in a calorie deficit. I do not believe that is true. If you have extra fat stores, that extra fat can be used for calorie surplus, and that is exactly what you want, to burn the fat. So keep your calories at your MFP or IIFYM.com calculated deficit and adjust your macros but don't up your calorie intake.

Is there a reason to switch to weight training over cardio? Why not both? Reduce, but don't eliminate your cardio, then add in weight training. That's what I did almost a year ago and the results have been great. Fat loss and weight loss have continued if not improved and muscle gain continued. Muscle gain is slow in a deficit but you're better off concentrating on the fat loss while slowly building muscle in my opinion. At least until you're closer to your goal. I believe there is always a place for cardio. But that's just me.

Thank you for your input.
    I totally agree.
    I have not swapped one for the other
    I follow the Chalean Extreme Program which is yes basically a strength training program (3 x per week) but also has interval training as in HIIT sequences alternating with endurance weight training (many reps, low weights) and this twice a week. She also gives 2 rests days where I use one to do whatever other cardio I feel like that day and take the other as a complete rest day.
    I have not increased my calorie intake and I am hitting my 120g of protein most of the time.
    I might not actually GAIN muscle but I will not lose any either as I am for sure am burning fat !

I am so glad I started this.
  • ffwang82
    ffwang82 Posts: 20 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Strength training is not just about calorie surplus to support muscle growth. You need to be sure you give enough stress to your muscle to break it down and let it grow back. If your lift never progress, your surplus calorie will be just fat gaining not muscle.

Suggest to lean down enough then build muscle. Lean people have higher insulin sensitivity. Don't listen to "fruits are bad". These are BS broscience. They are too much bro science in bodybuilding industry. As if all nutrition fits your macro goal, you will be fine.

I am following Kinobody and Leangain. These two sites have very useful information.
  • KrystinaMTL
    Options
    @ffwang82 "lean down enoght then build muscle"
    That doesn't make any sense to me.

?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    @ffwang82 "lean down enoght then build muscle"
    That doesn't make any sense to me.

?

he was suggesting the same thing i said...

Focus on losing fat (and retaining muscle) to see where you actually stand. As long as you are consuming adequate protein and performing resistance training you should retain as much muscle as possible. Once you have lost the fat you will be able to see the muscle mass you already have.

Then you can take on the task of "bulking" aka building new muscle mass (hypertrophy) which requires excess energy, higher rest periods, a certain style of training, etc. This is, of course, only if you are unhappy with your current musculature and want larger arms, legs, abs, glutes, etc.
  • KrystinaMTL
    Options
    OK
    NOw I get it.
    I guess it weas my terminology that wasn't quite right.
    Thanks for sticking with me :smile:

Weigh in is on the 12th, my 3 month mark.