Losing Weight After Steroid Weight Gain

Options
Hi Everyone,

I'm on weight loss journey after being diagnosed with a chronic illness. I was placed on steroids which has helped a lot with my symptoms but has caused a lot of weight gain. I'm still on a low dose and struggle with hunger still and because of my condition it not as easy for me to lose weight as before as I have to be mindful of not overdoing it.

I'd love to connect with people in a similar situation I'm 25 with about 60 lbs / 30kg to lose. I try to be as active as I can trying to switch over to healthy snacking but it's difficult.

Feel free to add me!

Replies

• Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    What's the illness?
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I was diagnosed with Lupus 6 years ago and the steriods put a hell of a lot of weight on. i joined weightwatchers, lost a bit and then fell off the wagon, hence i'm here. it's not easy when the steriods make you want to eat all the time. i started by finding the lower fat versions of what i was eating. i even found a no added sugar dark chocolate, which i love. i cycle every day which i find easy on the old bones. i found my Wii good as well for low impact stuff at the beginning.
  • Fizzstah
    Fizzstah Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have mixed connective tissue disease which is like a lupus overlap condition. I've switched to brown carbs (rice, pasta, bread) and only have them once a day. I think steroid hunger is dying down as I'm only on 6mg a day now.
  • BrittanyNicole934
    BrittanyNicole934 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have a Addison's disease which is a cronic illness, controlled with steroids too. We can do it together!! Feel free to add me.
  • Pathmonkey
    Pathmonkey Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Do I feel for you and anyone dealing with disease and steroids. Been there, done that and thankfully no more steroids (crossing fingers on that one). I remember well the almost manic type hunger I felt when on them *telling my son..." and bring back a box of donuts and a large pizza when you come home!!"

I am however still on a drug that makes me retain water and make it seem impossible to lose weight. Three years in a gym.....I should weigh 14 lb by now! Not an inch... wouldn't budge... so freaking depressing. Then I found Paleo (low carb) and the weight started sliding off (down 20 since mid Feb) I'm so pumped now.... rarely hungry.....and finding peace of mind. Watch your carb intake, just might help.
  • madaboutblu
    madaboutblu Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have a Addison's disease which is a cronic illness, controlled with steroids too. We can do it together!! Feel free to add me.

How are you all getting on? I have Addisons too so am steroid dependent and struggling with the weight gain.
  • jesssiebee1983
    jesssiebee1983 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Pred + fludro here. I have autoimmune dysautonomia.
  • jesssiebee1983
    jesssiebee1983 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

I think we'd be on the same drugs... pred + fludro?