On Gardening

Options

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    @stealthq what is that peach rose? Is it a David Austin heirloom? I love it! Roses love Texas, and Texas loves roses. :)

Seed Savers, an heirloom seed organization, used to have some tomato fanatics from Texas on it, but I don't think the forums exist any longer. If I remember correctly, they would have to do tomatoes that produce earlier before the heat causes the blossoms to fall. If you do a determinate (ripens all at once) like Early Girl, you might get in a crop. If you do an indeterminate (bears over an extended period and the vines keep growing) it might (just guessing) go dormant over the summer but then start up again in the fall. But at least that way you have a head start with the plant. Partial sun might be a blessing rather than a curse in this case.

@Notreadytoquit I heart that mossy heart! <3 Now I wish I had a mossy heart icon.

It is - that one is Tamora, and she's picky. Gorgeous spring blooms and foliage, and then the heat and black spot get her and all I have is nasty bare thorny canes until fall when she'll do a bit of rebloom for me. She's so pretty, I put up with it.

I have much better luck with Charlotte, Molineaux, and Sharifa Asma from the Austins, and better yet with roses that aren't Austins. But, I started with them and I can't quite bring myself to replace them yet.

• DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    If I were to plant veggies, can I just put seed in or do I have to like start it somewhere else and transfer? That sounds really stressful. But sticking some seeds in good soil, giving water and sun, that I can maybe do. Might be better than this whole grass thing (actually no grass and hella weeds)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I love gardening, but here in Florida it's tough to grow anything including in pots :/, BUT we do have farmers markets all year long. ;)
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If I were to plant veggies, can I just put seed in or do I have to like start it somewhere else and transfer? That sounds really stressful. But sticking some seeds in good soil, giving water and sun, that I can maybe do. Might be better than this whole grass thing (actually no grass and hella weeds)

Sure, you can plant from seeds. Spring stuff like lettuce, spinach, radishes and onions. Summer plants like beans, squashes, melons, corn, carrots, potatoes. Tomatoes and peppers I would buy plants or start inside, but that also depends on whete you live.
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Gardening can be just as intense as a cardio workout. Back when I had more time to garden, my legs would feel like jelly and I couldn't move for days. Good burn!
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

What kinds of vegetables and herbs do you like to eat? Also, you sound like you are in high desert, right? Do you know what kind of soil you have (sand, clay, etc.) and is the area you want to plant a sunny spot? You have a lot of hard core gardeners on this thread who can render advice. :)

Herbs especially are easy to start with.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    @stealthq what is that peach rose? Is it a David Austin heirloom? I love it! Roses love Texas, and Texas loves roses. :)

Seed Savers, an heirloom seed organization, used to have some tomato fanatics from Texas on it, but I don't think the forums exist any longer. If I remember correctly, they would have to do tomatoes that produce earlier before the heat causes the blossoms to fall. If you do a determinate (ripens all at once) like Early Girl, you might get in a crop. If you do an indeterminate (bears over an extended period and the vines keep growing) it might (just guessing) go dormant over the summer but then start up again in the fall. But at least that way you have a head start with the plant. Partial sun might be a blessing rather than a curse in this case.

@Notreadytoquit I heart that mossy heart! <3 Now I wish I had a mossy heart icon.

It is - that one is Tamora, and she's picky. Gorgeous spring blooms and foliage, and then the heat and black spot get her and all I have is nasty bare thorny canes until fall when she'll do a bit of rebloom for me. She's so pretty, I put up with it.

I have much better luck with Charlotte, Molineaux, and Sharifa Asma from the Austins, and better yet with roses that aren't Austins. But, I started with them and I can't quite bring myself to replace them yet.

I am a sucker for an Austin rose too. They are so voluptuous. I try to garden as organically as possible but I have to use a systemic on most of my roses, which stinks because then you can't use the hips for teas or jelly. At my old house I did several true heirlooms...you can see in my pics that our playhouse is being devoured by a sweet autumn clematis. It needs to be torn out so the house can be devoured by a Paul's Himalayan Musk Rambler instead.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,174 Member
    Options
    Flowering ornamentals are not out of the question, now, in the North, BTW . . . and not just bulbs. This is mid-Michigan, photo taken a a week ago, in March. (Helleborus, I forget exactly what, probably all/mostly niger, on a guess. It's had buds/flowers since January.) c89jywswvn0x.jpg
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I love fruit, but mostly eating it :D

My only contribution to this thread will be my amazement in your ability to grow peaches, mangoes and citrus, and by the notion of it ever getting dark during growing season. That's what living close to the polar circle does to you :#
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Going to make hibiscus tea today. It's very easy! Just add hot water to the freshly picked flowers, a squeeze of lime and some mint, and you're done. (not sure what is wrong with the red balance on my phone)

sj6a43thn9is.jpg

We've also picked some of our chickpeas today, leaving the rest to mature. Green chickpeas are AMAZING roasted with just a bit of salt water and nothing else. Not sure how to count them though, since we roast them in shell and a the moisture weighs the whole thing down.

q79pigs4qhq0.jpg

• Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Going to make hibiscus tea today. It's very easy! Just add hot water to the freshly picked flowers, a squeeze of lime and some mint, and you're done. (not sure what is wrong with the red balance on my phone)

sj6a43thn9is.jpg

We've also picked some of our chickpeas today, leaving the rest to mature. Green chickpeas are AMAZING roasted with just a bit of salt water and nothing else. Not sure how to count them though, since we roast them in shell and a the moisture weighs the whole thing down.

q79pigs4qhq0.jpg

I've never grown chickpeas. Are they crunchy when you roast them?
  • Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    @tomteboda what a beautiful garden! Now you are making me yearn for summer, although I can't tell a Minnesota girl anything about that. What is the tree with orange fruits?

You're going to think I'm a heretic, but I used to ONLY do perennials, but now I am editing out a lot of perennials to add in fruit trees. For example, taking out 10 of the 15 "festiva maxima" peonies the previous owner planted, or giving away some of the hundred-odd garden phlox. We have 8-ft beds going around the entire property, and every spring I am digging out more and more "bulk" perennials and replacing them with boxwoods, hydrangeas, roses, lilies, hellebores, and more carefully curated peonies.

Edited to add:

Regrettably, I have no summer pictures on my phone, so I will freeze everyone's knickers with some photos I took while carrying pots, moving plants inside from the unheated mini greenhouse and digging leeks on Saturday. Fortunately we have a brick carriage house that retains warmth and is a nice place for working even on the worst days. In the picture with the car, in the foreground you can see my beloved peach tree, one of my strawberry patches (you would be surprised at the huge yield from such a tiny space), and some herbs tucked around. I will also plant eggplants and peppers in the perennial parts of the garden, because they stay pretty through the summer and integrate well with the perennials.

ydmpr2fuxxl7.jpg
    6w57b2xmjeln.jpg
    e7jyxs4a15n4.jpg

I absolutely LOVE the little house with the vines on top of it. If I was a child....lol.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Ws2016 wrote: »

sj6a43thn9is.jpg

q79pigs4qhq0.jpg

I've never grown chickpeas. Are they crunchy when you roast them?

No, green chickpeas have a sweet fresh flavor, almost like a vegetable. When roasted the pods get slightly charred and brittle, while the inside softens a bit and acquires this nice smoky and salty flavor. I will post a picture when we roast them this evening. They are very easy to grow by the way. You can even grow them from regular good quality dried chickpeas.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    As promised, here it is:

6qne9d4ffeh0.jpg
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    In SE Texas, we have not really had much of a freeze for the past year or so which means pretty much a year-round vegetable garden. We planted some lacinato kale back in early October and we are STILL getting plenty of kale. Our jalapenos and habaneros have started coming back too. We will soon be planting several types of lettuce, radicchio, cabbage and tomatoes (for salsa only) ... while I love purple hull peas and string beans, my family won't eat them so I have to purchase at the local farmers market when I want some fresh.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    haven't started anything yet. I might have some blackberries and chives that have come back from last year, and maybe sage.

this year i plan on growing foods/flowers that my bearded dragon will eat. She loves berries and greens. She is supposed to eat some flowers too, so i thought I'd try that too.
    rankins-bearded-dragon-eating-hibiscus.jpg

I might try a salsa garden again too
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    haven't started anything yet. I might have some blackberries and chives that have come back from last year, and maybe sage.

this year i plan on growing foods/flowers that my bearded dragon will eat. She loves berries and greens. She is supposed to eat some flowers too, so i thought I'd try that too.
    rankins-bearded-dragon-eating-hibiscus.jpg

I might try a salsa garden again too

There's something sweet about growing flowers for your pet. Love that!

Salsa garden would be fun too.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    It's almost planting time for me. In about two weeks. I'll start tilling and getting my rows set in a week or so. I am cutting back my garden this year. With two of my three teens working this summer I will be losing some of my help and I can't do a huge garden by myself. We grow and preserve as much of our food as possible and I love it! Gardening/weeding is my stress reliever. The kids know if I'm out there by myself to leave mom be - she's de-stressing! LOL Hopefully, some of my work will translate to weight loss this year. I don't plan on logging it as exercise at this point. Or, if I do, not eating back the calories.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I really love the idea of gardening, but as an apartment dweller had mixed luck with containers. Last year was probably my best one, and even then, it was haphazard at best. The storms would get bad and blow the containers over.

Also: squirrels in my neighborhood ate everything. They ate the heads off of our sunflowers. They ate all of the strawberries. Something ate out the stems of the tomato plants. It was about two-thirds of the way through the summer when I realized that I may not gotten all of the information I needed to successfully patio garden, lol.

This year I'm growing herbs (both for wedding centerpieces and because those were the only things I kept alive well), and maybe in a few years we'll have a place with a yard and can look into raised beds.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    And this is in the debate forum why, exactly?