Protein Powder Problem

Options
I'm looking for a protein powder to add to my occasional smoothies and such. But the problem is, I've tried several and they make me violently sick to my stomach. A friend told me some people don't digest the protein well, or have a sensitivity to it when in concentrated form. Is there any truth in that? Does anyone know of a powder that is easier to digest/easier on the stomach? Google hasn't returned a lot of information for me. Any feedback is appreciated, thank you!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    What kind have you tried?

Here's some of the different types:
    Whey
    Whey Isolate
    Whey Concentrate
    Casein Protein
    Soy
    Wheat (usually vegan protein powders)

You can read about the different types I listed here:
    http://www.proteinpowder.net/types-of-protein-powder/

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I had issues, GNC has one that's easier to digest, may be a gimmick but it saves me a lot of pain.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Have all the proteins you've consumed been whey?
  • Danimri84
    Danimri84 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I've tried Pure Protein, FitMiss Delight, another brand I can't remember, and even that stupid Juice Plus shake powder because my mom had some and it has a decent amount of protein.
  • Danimri84
    Options
    aub6689 wrote: »
    Have all the proteins you've consumed been whey?

I'm not sure, I know the first two I listed are whey, but I don't know about the other two.
  • Danimri84
    Options
    What kind have you tried?

Here's some of the different types:
    Whey
    Whey Isolate
    Whey Concentrate
    Casein Protein
    Soy
    Wheat (usually vegan protein powders)

You can read about the different types I listed here:
    http://www.proteinpowder.net/types-of-protein-powder/

Thanks for the link!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,246 Member
    Options
    I don't know about difficulty digesting protein, but some people has issues with some types of protein powder. If the protein powders you have been using are whey protein you need to try some other type, not just another whey protein. There is casein, egg, soy, peanut, hemp, and a bunch of other protein powders out there. You would be well advised if you want to use protein powder to try them out.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I recommend trying a non-dairy protein - perhaps you are sensitive to dairy?

I really like Vega Protein and Greens, its pea protein, sacha inchi (mountain peanut) protein, hemp seed protein, sprouted whole grain brown rice protein.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    No, the idea that some people can't digest protein (other than gluten) is a myth.

The more likely reason is a lactose intolerance and having consumed whey.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Danimri84 wrote: »
    I've tried Pure Protein, FitMiss Delight, another brand I can't remember, and even that stupid Juice Plus shake powder because my mom had some and it has a decent amount of protein.

Juice Plus is soy powder.
  • Rit1603
    Rit1603 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I use plant based protein powder by sunwarrior check them out they are vegan plant base i have no problem digesting but it might depends from person to person . I use the classic plus unflavored
  • Danimri84
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. I'll look into some other kinds. I don't think dairy or lactose sensitivity is the problem, since I regularly consume dairy, and have all my life, but it can't hurt to try a different kind. Thanks all!
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I also prefer plant based protein powders. Hemp, chia, pea proteins work really well for me. I have had good luck with Vega brand and Essential 10 (but the plant based not whey based option). I have been alternating these two lately. I have decided to stick with the Essential 10 because it has more fiber.
  • mhuntrn4
    mhuntrn4 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    sometimes it helps to start w a small amount and work your way to the "full dose"
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. I'll look into some other kinds. I don't think dairy or lactose sensitivity is the problem, since I regularly consume dairy, and have all my life, but it can't hurt to try a different kind. Thanks all!

I don't have a lactose issue but I DO have a whey issue. It also makes me feel like crap, but more in my intestines than my stomach. I have to varieties of vegan protein powder (can't recall both names, one is like "essential 10") I have issues with the flavors still but I mask it with other additives.
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    No, the idea that some people can't digest protein (other than gluten) is a myth.

The more likely reason is a lactose intolerance and having consumed whey.
    No. There are a lot of reasons that people can't tolerate certain proteins. I turn bright red within 20 minutes of consuming dairy, but when I was younger I would get hives sometimes a couple of hours later. That and whey doesn't contain lactose.
  • Danimri84
    Options

Juice Plus is soy powder.

Had no idea, whatever it is, I was in the bathroom every 3 minutes and felt like someone was trying to pull my abdominal contents out of my belly button. Nasty stuff.
  • blondie_mfp
    blondie_mfp Posts: 62 Member
    Options

I'm the same way, I eat/drink dairy for practically every meal, but whey protein definitely does not agree with me. I planned on trying other, non-whey-based proteins, but I just haven't gotten around to it. good luck, I hope you find something that works for you!
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Have you tried a vegan protein powder? I'm not vegan but I have an issue with lactose and any whey product makes me ill. I would avoid whey, whey isolate, etc.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Soy and whey protein tend to be very allergenic for people. Pea protein is another option. I'm using both the Costco Vega Pea Protein and Greens or Natureade Pea Protein and have found both to be good in smoothies. My guess is, if you paid attention to other things you're eating (cheese, milk, etc) and watch your body carefully, you probably have a bad dairy allergy (look for things like runny noses, stomachaches, eczema or other rashes, bloating, gas, constipation, joint painetc.). Those are all symptoms of a dairy allergy (those are just a few, there are others) that will usually occur within 24hrs or less of eating the offending food (although they can go up to 72hrs).