Went from walking to jogging and now eating way more.

Options
I know my body needs fuel, I have no problems with that. But when I would walk on an incline (no hands :wink: ) or outdoors my calories burned would be say 400 or so in an hour at 3mph to 3.8mph walking speed. I would do about 2-3 hours of that a day half in the morning half at night (tried to stay over 10k steps a day) That worked since mid February when I started my lifestyle change. It is working from 300 plus to 260ish right now...

I can jog now and since Saturday I have been able to condense my daily exercise goals (10k steps) in preparation for strength training I am starting (ugh today) this is leading to much more eating than I was doing before. I don't really understand it, I base my calories burned off my watch as well as steps. I cannot figure out why I am eating more now if it is the same calorie burn just in less time.

I am not concerned by the way, I needed to start eating back exercise calories anyway I am more confused.

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    What do you mean eating more? More calories allotted by MFP? Doing the same distance in less time is more strenuous. ..
  • lostgoals
    lostgoals Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was consistently full on 1600 calories a day now I am eating 1900 or so. I was never eating my exercise calories back, I am okay with doing that though! I was just curious how the same calorie burn was making me hungrier.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Same with me, on my exercise days I'm ravenous. Its from your body needing extra fuel, you might be burning the same amount but it's a different exercise working different muscles so it makes sense. You can chose to eat back some exercise calories until you adjust to the new activity :) congrats on all your progress!
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Are you going over your calories? If not and you're still losing, what's the problem? ☺️
  • lostgoals
    lostgoals Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Well you always should have been eating your exercise calories back. You have increased the intensity of your workouts, even if it doesn't increase the calories burn and been under eating by not eating back the exercise calories so far.

You are now eating what you are supposed to be eating and that's a good thing.

Thank you everyone I guess it makes sorta sense. With the CICO I assumed calories out would be the same or cause the same eating. I am however enjoying eating more :)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    If I understand what you're saying, you're taking the same number of steps but are now jogging rather than walking at an incline.

1) You may be going farther. Jogging steps are typically longer than walking steps.
    2) Running burns more than walking over the same distance and the same incline - about twice as much. Caveat here is if you were walking at a higher incline than you're running, the difference would be less. With enough difference walking may have burned the same or more for the same distance, but that would be a very steep incline.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Running does not burn twice as many calories as walking the same distance.

Table B: Your Calorie Burn Per Mile (Or Minute) Walk vs Run

WALK RUN
    CALORIES/MILE .57 x wt in lbs .72 x wt in lbs
    CALORIES/MIN .03 x wt in lbs .07 x wt in lbs

To use the above, simply multiply your weight (in pounds) by the number shown. For example, if you weigh 188 lbs, you will burn about 107 calories (188 * .57) when you walk a mile, and about 135 calories (188 * .72) when you run a mile.

As you can see, running a mile burns roughly 26 percent more calories than walking a mile. Running a minute (or 30 minutes, or an hour, etc.) burns roughly 2.3 times more calories than the same total time spent walking.

Okay, now a few caveats. These calculations are all derived from an “average” weight of the subjects; there may be individual variations. Also, age and gender make a difference, though quite a modest one. Your weight is by far the biggest determinant of your calorie burn per mile. When you look at per-minute burn, your pace (your speed) also makes a big difference.

From this article: http://www.runnersworld.com/peak-performance/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn

In any case to the OP, best of luck on your journey.
  • SarahDWalker26
    SarahDWalker26 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If I understood this correctly..... I would also add that when you are lifting or doing strength training, the caloric burn continues even after you stop that activity where as it is my understand that Cardio does not. So your body would be using up more fuel long after strength/lifting vs. cardio causing you to re-fuel a little more.....

Is this correct guys???
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    If I understand what you're saying, you're taking the same number of steps but are now jogging rather than walking at an incline.

1) You may be going farther. Jogging steps are typically longer than walking steps.
    2) Running burns more than walking over the same distance and the same incline - about twice as much. Caveat here is if you were walking at a higher incline than you're running, the difference would be less. With enough difference walking may have burned the same or more for the same distance, but that would be a very steep incline.

Concur.

Also yes when some people ramp up their activity they find their appetite grows as well. For me, it's only in the first couple weeks of starting something new, then it will settle again.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I found I got hungrier when I was starting to jog. It caused me to overeat or be in pain most of the day out of hunger because I knew I wasn't burning 400 calories for 10 minutes of jogging per C25K method.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Running does not burn twice as many calories as walking the same distance.

Table B: Your Calorie Burn Per Mile (Or Minute) Walk vs Run

WALK RUN
    CALORIES/MILE .57 x wt in lbs .72 x wt in lbs
    CALORIES/MIN .03 x wt in lbs .07 x wt in lbs

To use the above, simply multiply your weight (in pounds) by the number shown. For example, if you weigh 188 lbs, you will burn about 107 calories (188 * .57) when you walk a mile, and about 135 calories (188 * .72) when you run a mile.

As you can see, running a mile burns roughly 26 percent more calories than walking a mile. Running a minute (or 30 minutes, or an hour, etc.) burns roughly 2.3 times more calories than the same total time spent walking.

Okay, now a few caveats. These calculations are all derived from an “average” weight of the subjects; there may be individual variations. Also, age and gender make a difference, though quite a modest one. Your weight is by far the biggest determinant of your calorie burn per mile. When you look at per-minute burn, your pace (your speed) also makes a big difference.

From this article: http://www.runnersworld.com/peak-performance/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn

In any case to the OP, best of luck on your journey.

That's gross calorie burn, not net. For net, the factors are approx. 0.67 (run) and 0.33 (walk). Since net is what you actually get to eat over and above NEAT, it's more relevant for those following MFPs calorie calculations.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Running makes me hungrier than walking!

I account for this by saving more calories for dinner (to account for the extra hunger).