Help! I can't do this

Options
amybeer221
amybeer221 Posts: 5 Member
edited April 2016 in Motivation and Support
I have been trying for almost a year to loose weight. I have tried different diets and exercised almost every day till I sweat my assignment off! And I have only lost 1kg. I'm having trouble keeping motivated and it's making my depression slowly come back. I really need help guys :(

Replies

• Megan7146
    Megan7146 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You can do it! There are people here who can help you but at the end of the day it's inside us all somewhere the motivation to really make a change. It's super hard work and of course demands a lot from us mentally and physically but you have the strength. Exercise releases endorphins and makes you feel great and healthy eating can be so fun and interesting to find new foods to try and new ways of making things. Stay positive <3
  • sarahfadell87
    sarahfadell87 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You can totally do this... You have to stay CONSISTENT. Diets don't work, but better choices do.

For example, when I first started i didnt care what i ate, I just made sure to log it, whether or not it fit in my calorie goals.

Then i did switches, for example, at work i used to eat 6 inch italian subway sandwich, & a bag of chips for lunch.. Then i switched to chicken or turkey sandwiches from subway, and opted for the baked chips.. Now, i just eat 6 inch turkey on wheat, and if i get hungry in the mean time i eat a protien bar, or nuts.

Don't do anything drastic trying to lose as much as u can as fast as u can. This isnt a race, it is a big change that starts with lots of little ones.. Changing things slowly really works and you don't have to give up what u love, just make room for it in your calories. Consistency is key.

Keep going, and if you get tired, keep going, and if you feel you've done all u could and you're getting no result, STILL KEEP GOING. You won't be sorry u did
  • amybeer221
    amybeer221 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I forgot to add I have very bad arthritis and I can't do much without hurting and my joints swelling up badly
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You have to focus on eating fewer calories. This is especially true if you can't exercise very much. If that's the case, you will need to measure your food intake closely so you are eating fewer calories than you burn each day.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale. Log in you diary the day before.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Don't crash/fad diet. It screws your metabolism. It took me 3 years to get to my goal. After 25 years of fad/crash/yo yo diets. I'm 49. I got where I am today by research, how to exercise and eat properly, plus about 3 years logging. Be totally honest, log everything, if estimating overestimate, every bite, every spoonful of sauce, every mouthful of drink must be counted. Excessive cardio I do not like and I do not do, and it will not help if don't really know what you are eating. Eat better quality foods and I promise you will not feel hungry. I would consider myself a food addict. I ate pies and cakes and chocolate all day long. I was hungry ALL the time. But not any more. It didn't happen overnight and it took a bit of willpower. But I got this now and you can too :-)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Doing diets and exercise doesnt lose weight. Calorie deficit = weight loss
  • solocash
    solocash Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    amybeer221 wrote: »
    I have been trying for almost a year to loose weight. I have tried different diets and exercised almost every day till I sweat my assignment off! And I have only lost 1kg. I'm having trouble keeping motivated and it's making my depression slowly come back. I really need help guys :(

Well first off I want you to hold your head up. I know it is hard and sometimes you just want to give up. But don't you are asking for help that is half the battle you have won. Now time to get you some results. Don't get me wrong I am not fit yet myself but I am getting there slowly. But what has worked for me is don't worry about how much you have lost at first. Instead I want you to focus on eating clean and working out. That's all you need to do. But don't worry about how much you want to lose . Then after you have done that for one week. Start to focus on how much stronger you feel. Focus on the things you can do more with ease. That you was not able to do as good as that first week. And each week that past still focus on how much energy you have that you did not have before. Then I promise before you know it the weight will fall off like leaves on a tree
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Well, don't start trying to lose weight at 1200 cals a day. I started at around 1800 and worked my way down as I lost weight and got used to smaller portions.

Weight loss and maintenance is about changing your whole mindset and attitudes towards food. It takes work and will to change. But the more you work on it, the easier it becomes to say no to food you don't need or can't fit into your calorie budget. It is also realizing that food will always be there. There is no reason to eat a box of candy all at once. You can always go to the store at any time and get another. There is no reason to eat something just because it is free. It is false economy if it keeps you fat.

You can't give up if the scale goes up. That is going to happen, weight loss is NOT linear. You have to be persistent and stay the course and be honest with yourself.

You can do this. I have lost 140ish lbs since my highest weight. I am no one special, I just am stubborn and stuck with it.
  • Pathmonkey
    Pathmonkey Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Walked 100 miles in your shoes, i really feel for you! Too many tears shed. I was consistant and sweated buckets at the gym for three years....nothing. Then i found Paleo....20 lb down and still losing in 7 weeks. Check it out, not for everyone but its the only thing that has worked mind, body and soul. Ps-it helps enormously with arthritis...at least for me.