Giving up alcohol

Options
124»

Replies

• Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    Um, not to be totally naïve here but if it is that hard to give up the drinking is it not a problem? I know I have a problem with chocolate personally. Alcohol I can take or leave!

There's a continuum here in terms of no problem, mild issues, heavy drinkers, drunks, functioning alcoholics, etc., and unfortunately like we see in the forums all the time, if you're accustomed to seeing nails then you're going to always grab a hammer. The problem is that it is awfully off putting to label anyone looking to cut back as an alcoholic whether you use that label or not.

Many people feel social pressure to drink and don't want to be "that guy" because "that guy" will find himself uninvited to events. The trick is to drink in moderation, drink water between drinks, order a "cocktail" of soda water and lime, and pour shots into plants occasionally. If anyone thinks the solution is to "find new friends" then my guess is that you're not very good at business development.

If I had friends who frowned on me for not drinking, I'd tell em to kiss my *kitten*. But those aren't friends. Why tokerate such fools? Pour a nice glass of water and stop hiding behind this childish fear of non-conformance.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Ws2016 wrote: »
    suruda wrote: »
    Um, not to be totally naïve here but if it is that hard to give up the drinking is it not a problem? I know I have a problem with chocolate personally. Alcohol I can take or leave!

There's a continuum here in terms of no problem, mild issues, heavy drinkers, drunks, functioning alcoholics, etc., and unfortunately like we see in the forums all the time, if you're accustomed to seeing nails then you're going to always grab a hammer. The problem is that it is awfully off putting to label anyone looking to cut back as an alcoholic whether you use that label or not.

Many people feel social pressure to drink and don't want to be "that guy" because "that guy" will find himself uninvited to events. The trick is to drink in moderation, drink water between drinks, order a "cocktail" of soda water and lime, and pour shots into plants occasionally. If anyone thinks the solution is to "find new friends" then my guess is that you're not very good at business development.

If I had friends who frowned on me for not drinking, I'd tell em to kiss my *kitten*. But those aren't friends. Why tokerate such fools? Pour a nice glass of water and stop hiding behind this childish fear of non-conformance.

lol
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    whittling wrote: »
    Those of you who think vodka has fewer than wine must drink less vodka than wine

A serving of vodka is a lot smaller than a serving of wine. Vodka is much stronger. If I drank vodka in the quantities I used to drink wine, I'd be dead.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I wouldn't say I have a drinking problem or anything like that. I have about 1 or 2 drinks when I get home, I have more on the weekends. I know that this is the main thing that's holding me back. I have a reasonable diet other than that. Ive seen results before when I've stopped drinking. I've been really struggling with this lately, I need to cut down my alcohol intake to once a week again. Does anyone have any tips to help me with this..

Don't keep alcohol in the house. I was going through a bottle of whiskey or other spirits every 5 days or so. I decided I needed to stop so I didn't replace my stash when I finished it. I still have a beer with my dinner and will have a cocktail or 2 or a bottle of wine when I go out but since its no longer in the house I'm no longer drinking to excess
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I can tell all of you talking about the OP's problems that DSM defines disorders operationally: a set of behaviors that isn't causing problems in a person's life isn't a disorder. Mental health professionals (and I speak from experience) would never venture a diagnosis based on a self report which is less than 100 words long and which shows no negative consequences of the OP's drinking behavior other than a desire to cut down for weight loss. If you doubt this, get a copy of DSM-5 and do some research.

So why are all of you who aren't trained in diagnosis of substance abuse disorders attempting diagnoses anyway? I can tell you this: 1-2 drinks a night with a few more on the weekend and no negative consequences in the person's life doesn't suggest alcohol addiction to me. And I've worked with a lot of alcohol-addicted clients over the years.

That's why I suggested the OP do a search for sites with tips on cutting down on drinking. She wanted tips on cutting down, not amateur diagnoses from people who are projecting their own fears and family experiences on the OP.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    OP, If you've identified 'too much' alcohol as the problem, do you think it would be a solution to simply not keep a ready supply in the house, but rather to buy all you plan to drink on the day you plan to drink it and then go home and do so?
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    I can tell all of you talking about the OP's problems that DSM defines disorders operationally: a set of behaviors that isn't causing problems in a person's life isn't a disorder. Mental health professionals (and I speak from experience) would never venture a diagnosis based on a self report which is less than 100 words long and which shows no negative consequences of the OP's drinking behavior other than a desire to cut down for weight loss. If you doubt this, get a copy of DSM-5 and do some research.

So why are all of you who aren't trained in diagnosis of substance abuse disorders attempting diagnoses anyway? I can tell you this: 1-2 drinks a night with a few more on the weekend and no negative consequences in the person's life doesn't suggest alcohol addiction to me. And I've worked with a lot of alcohol-addicted clients over the years.

That's why I suggested the OP do a search for sites with tips on cutting down on drinking. She wanted tips on cutting down, not amateur diagnoses from people who are projecting their own fears and family experiences on the OP.

Now that was well said!
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I wouldn't say I have a drinking problem or anything like that. I have about 1 or 2 drinks when I get home, I have more on the weekends. I know that this is the main thing that's holding me back. I have a reasonable diet other than that. Ive seen results before when I've stopped drinking. I've been really struggling with this lately, I need to cut down my alcohol intake to once a week again. Does anyone have any tips to help me with this..

Some of that after-work drink routine is about habit and the ritual of relaxation. You fix your drink and sit down for a few minutes, fix dinner, or whatever your routine is. You need some strategies to change that habit.

Here are my tips:

(1) Have your drink ritual as usual. Substitute something special, but non-alcoholic.

What works for me is club soda, ice, and some flavor additive. Club soda is zero calorie. The additive is low or no calorie and diluted. Cranberry juice or lime are good flavor additions. My favorite flavoring is cocktail bitters.

If you aren't familiar with bitters, the most widely used bitters flavors are aromatic spice and orange. There are a wide range of other flavors also. I really like black walnut, grapefruit, and cranberry. Bitters do contain some alcohol, but you only use a few dashes. (One average beer would have the same alcohol content as roughly 50 of my usual bitters drinks.)

Another great drink is cold water with a slice of cucumber. Simple, but really tasty and refreshing! You can even keep a pitcher of water with cucumber slides in the fridge.

Learn to enjoy being refreshed without the alcohol. Your head will stay clear and catch up on some hydration, too.

(2) Improve your sleep.

Alcohol detracts from getting the best quality sleep, particularly if you are used to a nightcap. It can take a few days to adjust after going off the booze. Be prepared for some of that.

Commit to dropping the alcohol to focus on better sleep for an extended period, perhaps 2 weeks or even a month. See if your body feels a difference.

It made a difference for me.

(3) Get Allen Carr's book (or audio book) "Easy Way to Control Alcohol"

This was recommended to me on here on MFP. I did the audio book and listened in my car. It provided some new insight that I found really useful.

PM me if I can help.

Good luck!