Night time eating

Options
Does anyone suffer from night time eating? I do and it is frustrating. I do good all day and then after dinner, I struggle. All my hard work during the day goes out the window. I am doing better on myfitnesspal, but I still struggle. Any one have any suggestions?

Replies

• d_llopez
    d_llopez Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    That was me 2 wks ago. I eat a later dinner and i save some of my snacks for those nighttime munchies. Goodluck. You can do it.
  • CJane44
    CJane44 Posts: 3
    Options
    I use to be an AWFUL night time eater. I also worked nights for a little over 3 years so that didn't help either!! I broke myself from being a night time eater by going to bed earlier. I found the nights I stayed up late, watching tv, I had to have a snack. Now I work days and go to bed MUCH earlier. I immediately dropped 10lbs getting off night shift and going to bed early. Good luck to you :)
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    Plan for night time eating and build in some room in your daily caloric intake to have a healthy snack
  • Melbel85
    Melbel85 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It seems that all my hunger happens at night around 8-9 pm. I usually WANT ice cream but I curve that craving with a 100 calorie bag of popcorn! Hmmm... now I want popcorn! lol
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I sent you a message, but also wanted to say I eat dinner between 6:30 and 7:30 and go to bed around 10. That time frame seems to work for me because I don't eat too early
  • Dornroschen
    Dornroschen Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    *SIGH* Yes, I do this, too...generally if I'm doing well on the scale or did a particularly hard workout I find myself sneaking an unscheduled reward in the evenings. Other times it's just because it's THERE. Maybe you pick a food that is good for you and low in calories (carrots, celery, mushrooms, strawberries) and let yourself snack on them whenever? Maybe you should work it into your meal plan to save 100 calories for a Popsicle or whatever? I don't know - it's always easier said than done for me. I love flatbread and hummus and always find myself sneaking it - but that's like 300 extra calories right there! Ugh!
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    I am terrible! It is definitely my weakness. I will do well all day and then blow it. The only positive about it is I will eat like that, then be more conscious and feel bad about it the next day and be under or at my goal, so it turns out to be zig-zagging. Although unintentional, it has helped me shed some pounds recently.
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    I am starting to cut back on dessert at night, so I'm trying to limit it or not have it at all. I'm eating dinner later and if I feel like I should eat, I just drink water. Otherwise I'll brush my teeth. That ALWAYS keeps me from eating! :)
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You may want to try eating a little more during the day and having your dinner a littler later..... and then go to bed early!

Sometimes I also have slightly (naturally) carbonated drinks in the evening after dinner (e.g., Kombucha tea). Chewing gum also helps.

If I do eat at night, I try not to have a lot of carbs, so I'll have an apple with raw almond butter or celery with peanut butter. Sometimes I just have a low fat string cheese and that's enought to take the edge off
  • blacktallon
    Options
    I have a hard time without comfort food at night sometimes. If its that for you.. instead of cookies with my tea i try to have a granola bar or something. They have lots of things like special k bliss that are 90 cal a bar or Christie Thinsations that are 100 cal. I find eating strawberries helps me keep away from sweets to. Its better to eat fruit of course then the granola or thinstions.. they are still junk food, but the controlled portion is way better then opening a bag of chips in front of the tv.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I am a night time eater - but rather than try and break that habit I just plan around it (since no studies show that it's inherently bad). I don't eat a lot throughout the day and then eat when I want in the evening.
  • gettinghealthy777
    Options
    Thanks everyone!. Your suggestions and support are very helpful and comforting!!:smile: