Mom's and Dad's looking for support

Options

Replies

• elizabethpartridge33
    Options
    Hey all. I'm a married mom of 3 (11, 9&5) I need support to lose this extra weight 40lbs i put on in the last 2 years. I work part time now after being a stay at home mom for years. I have a farm which is a full time job but I lack motivation to lose weight. No one to hold me accountable for what I eat and if I do or no not work out. I live 3 hours from all friends and family. Help
  • MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Hey all. I'm a married mom of 3 (11, 9&5) I need support to lose this extra weight 40lbs i put on in the last 2 years. I work part time now after being a stay at home mom for years. I have a farm which is a full time job but I lack motivation to lose weight. No one to hold me accountable for what I eat and if I do or no not work out. I live 3 hours from all friends and family. Help

Were here for you! Just take it one day at a time and keep you eye on the prize!
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Alright, I'm curious....who exercises at home, who goes to the gym, and who does both?
  • IndianaGolfer
    IndianaGolfer Posts: 16,220 Member
    Options
    Only from home, gym isn't an option. None close enough. Haven't decided yet what I want to do after Insanity. Would prefer to do some lifting, but the no gym close enough, might look into some used equipment for home.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    tfrasur wrote: »
    Only from home, gym isn't an option. None close enough. Haven't decided yet what I want to do after Insanity. Would prefer to do some lifting, but the no gym close enough, might look into some used equipment for home.

If you are looking at lifting, I highly recommend the Body Beast Program. All I used were dumb bell handles with 5-10lb plates, ranging me from 15lbs to 40lbs. On my first round, I gained 5 lbs of muscle, 5 inches of muscle mass over all, and decreased my body fat% by about 2%.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I *prefer* working out in a gym but it is not an option for me right now. We're in the final push of school for the year (I homeschool) and I'm graduating my first kid in May. She's cramming to get through algebra right now. :-) I love algebra, she hates it. LOL I've been walking mid-day once I get the kids taught and with the weather being so beautiful that's been really nice for me. I have an old ankle injury that is dogging me a bit but I adjust as I need to. I would like to start lifting weights again as that is what I really enjoy. I did BodyForLife years ago to lose weight after having each baby so that is the way I would go now. Just need to add it to my week. I can do hand weights and resistance bands at home. When the kids are all gone, I'm going back to a gym. :-)

Hormones are kicking my butt this week but so far I'm managing to maintain and not gain from it so that is good for me. I'm also finally get to the point where I'm staying in my calorie range instead of only at a 100-200 calorie deficit. But it's taken me almost 90 days to get to that point! I've just been slowly working my way there.

Hang in there Elizabeth. Keep at it, one day at a time. It's been a slow start for me but if you work your way there if you have to then it's much easier. Motivation is a hard one for me as well. I keep reminding myself of how much better I'll feel and how much more energy I'll have when I get rid of this 50# sack of potatoes (and that's just to start with). I'll really have another 30-40 to lose after that, but I have to just look at that amount first or I get overwhelmed.

We don't have a farm, but we have a very large area we garden. We grow most of our own food, put it up, etc. It's a TON of work. I'm hoping for the extra calorie burn this summer. LOL! We'll be planting the 3rd week of April here.

• MikePXstream
    Options
    Good morning folks. How have you all been lately? Who is rocking it? Who is struggling? What questions do you have that I might be able to answer for you?
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    1mk8kiaudc7y.jpg

Did you miss the last 14 day group? No worries, the group will reset beginning April 11th. If you've ever wanted to see what it's like to have a fitness group that includes nutrition tips and support from a fellow dad, runner, and fitness enthusiast, this is the place to be.

Did you finish the last free group and want to step it up? Reach out to me and I will help you progress further. This 14 day group is not intended to be a long term solution.

Invite any of your friends or family to this page for support. You can invite them by sending them this link and I will help them out just as I have you.

http://www.peralesfamilyfitness.com/p/free-fitness-challenge.html

This page is for Guardians AND their friends and family. No one deserves to do this alone!

I look forward to helping out where I can.
  • Naptownbabi
    Naptownbabi Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    you can add me, I have 2 kids a 5 year old and a 1year old.
  • vkdarling
    vkdarling Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom of one boy age 8. I would be glad to have more parents on my friends list. I'm just starting over today... but I'm going to stick to it.
  • bigbellybobb
    bigbellybobb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    dad of 2 kids please add me.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    you can add me, I have 2 kids a 5 year old and a 1year old.
    vkdarling wrote: »
    I'm a single mom of one boy age 8. I would be glad to have more parents on my friends list. I'm just starting over today... but I'm going to stick to it.
    dad of 2 kids please add me.

Welcome!
  • kyleliermann
    kyleliermann Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Father of 1 boy and me and my wife are on separate work schedules so I am struggling to find my fitness groove. add me friends if you would like
  • BasketMommy4
    BasketMommy4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm a wife, of 24 yrs, and mom to 4 kids: ages: 15, 14, 12 & 10. I have realized I can't use the "baby weight" excuse anymore and want to lose about 100 lbs. I need all of the support & motivation I can get. I have started my LC/HF journey and have only been on for a few weeks, but I feel so much better since I kicked the sugar & gluten habit. Please add me as a friend if you'd like help motivate & support each other. Thanks! :-)
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Here's a question for you. How often should you eat?

The best option is to have at least 5 meals, evenly spaced throughout the day. If your body has a constant flow of good fuel, your blood sugar will remain level and the chances of losing weight goes up considerably.

Take your total calories numbers from the previous day, and divide by 5. Try and stay consistent with those numbers for your meals and snacks. Yes, your snacks can be slightly less, but you don't want 1000 calories to come from breakfast, and the rest be about 300 calories. The stretching of your stomach alone will keep you extremely hungry for the rest of the day.

If 5 is too many meals, stick with 3. That will work out as well, you just may be more hungry between meals.

But PLEASE DON'T SKIP A MEAL! Always have a back-up plan.

I always have something like almonds or my Shakeology in case of an emergency.

How many hours did you normally have in-between meals before you saw this post, and what meals do you skip frequently?
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Here's a question for you. How often should you eat?

Take your total calories numbers from the previous day, and divide by 5. Try and stay consistent with those numbers for your meals and snacks. Yes, your snacks can be slightly less, but you don't want 1000 calories to come from breakfast, and the rest be about 300 calories. The stretching of your stomach alone will keep you extremely hungry for the rest of the day.

THIS! I struggle with this so much. I get up really early with my husband. I don't eat BF at 5:00am but I have to eat *something* b/c I'm starving. So I will have an orange or something around 100 calories to hold me until breakfast. I get up again at 9:00 or 9:30 and eat breakfast. But by the time I get to dinner, I've only got 300 calories left if I'm lucky. It is REALLY hard to figure this part out b/c I can't not eat when I get up at 5:00am.
  • dexsour
    dexsour Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Newbie here to MFP! I'm a mom to 1 boy-11 & 2 girls-10 & 8. 3 babies in 2.5 years, Whew! I started getting serious about my health and weight loss around the new year and have lost 19#! But have slacked off for a month(or 2). One day at a time, lol. Looking for accountability and support and willing to offer the same! I have 100+ to lose.
  • MikePXstream
    Options

THIS! I struggle with this so much. I get up really early with my husband. I don't eat BF at 5:00am but I have to eat *something* b/c I'm starving. So I will have an orange or something around 100 calories to hold me until breakfast. I get up again at 9:00 or 9:30 and eat breakfast. But by the time I get to dinner, I've only got 300 calories left if I'm lucky. It is REALLY hard to figure this part out b/c I can't not eat when I get up at 5:00am.

Try having a big glass of water instead at 5 am. By eating something that early, you are kick starting your metabolism, which means it is going to start to burn fuel, but there is not much to burn. If you need something with a little more sustenance, try a piece of toast with peanut butter and 4-5 slices of banana. This will give you enough fuel for your body to burn, and not weigh so heavy on you. Then you can have a light breakfast and be ok.

Recent studies are showing more and more that it is not about counting calories so much anymore as portion control and the right combinations of foods at each meal. I have been adapting to this style and it has worked out far better for me. With logging, I am still capturing about 1900 calories a day, which a year ago I was led to believe that was to little for the amount of activity I do, but not so much the case anymore.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    This was brought up in one of my earlier posts, so I will bring it back around and share my view point.

The question was how to change your mindset from counting calories to paying attention to your macros. It's kind of like going to school a little bit. You want to do a little bit of research, see if it makes since to you, then put a plan in place to try it out.

I used to count calories all the time. 2400 for this program, 1900 for this program. I would not see much movement in the scale either. Then I realized it is more important to focus on portion control and the right types of foods to eat. Part of this research came from a portion control system that came with one of my workouts, so I wanted to know more.

Initially I thought, no way, I will be starving by lunch. But here is the thing, when you have the right combination of foods, in controlled portions, you receive the same amount of energy required to make it from one meal to the next, even with exercise, and your body actually functions better.

That's where a little bit of food preparation comes in handy. 1-2 hours to line up your food for 5 days makes a HUGE difference. I personally don't measure my foods by weight. I know the portion size for each serving of food I need per day, portion them out that way, and I am set. It still breaks it down from a macro level as I know how many servings of protein , healthy carbs, fruits, veggies, and healthy fats I need a day, so it works out quite well.
  • ccnagain
    ccnagain Posts: 50 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Wife of 1, mom of 5 (toddler-college age), just finishing up week 6 (tomorrow) of a beginner womens weight training program and have realized I really enjoy it -who knew my husband could be right about such a thing. :D I have also started running again recently and love it as well however it's been really cold and rainy so I haven't been outside running at all yet for April and I do not like running on the dread-mill. For whatever reason I can run outside and have no issues but running or fast walking on the treadmill my shins kill me after about 15 minutes so I just don't do it inside anymore unless I am doing a moderate paced incline walk. I also seem to run faster and longer outside then I do inside. Ran my first 'real race' in March -Shamrock Run- and had a great time. Looking forward to all the 5 & 10k's I can be signing up for as the nicer weather comes. They usually hold at least one 5k every month here on base so that will help and I was thinking of joining up with Team RWB as well. I would LOVE to get all my family out running with me and that is my goal as it gets nicer out. I've already enforced 30 minutes of activity before 30 minutes electronics time and I'm going to tell em' if they'll give me running time maybe we can do double running for electronics -every incentive helps I figure.

My biggest struggle is food, I always start my days really well...fruit, hit the garage and do weights, light breakfast with the kids, then some cardio, then a yummy protein shake/lunch, mid afternoon snack -usually all great things. Then I just blow it with over eating at dinner or over eating through the evening. I am a meal planner and generally do not buy unhealthy snacks but sometimes I just blow it. I only drink water so thankfully I don't have that issue to worry about but just food. :/

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!! Looking forward to some more encouragement and motivational people in my days. :)

Ohhhh and I did the bod pod and metabolic testing so I could find my burn at rest and true body fat percent and what I should be approximately eating for calories each day. I weigh & measure every month so if I don't see progress in one area I generally have the other to feel accomplished in.
This discussion has been closed.