What is my ideal weight??

Options
I look at the charts and I'm sure I'll ever be in the category it says for me to be in. How did you find your ideal weight?

Replies

• angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,814 Member
    Options
    its whatever you feel comfortable with. set a starting goal, and when you get closer to it decide if thats where you want to be of if you want to be less of more, ect
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for the middle of the healthy BMI section for my height. Once I'm there I'll re-evaluate if necessary.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Trial and error. It ended up being a lot lower than I thought I would ever be, but here I am in my maintenance range of 120-130lbs at 5'5".

Just take it one pound at a time.
  • howekaren
    howekaren Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    According to a prominent bariatric doctor here in Canada, who runs a clinic entirely devoted to the obese, your perfect weight is the one you can maintain long term while living your healthiest lifestyle. As in: my range is between 130 and 150, according to very outmoded and unrealistic BMI charts. However, I've never been lower than 170. My doctor is completely thrilled by that weight, though, as my blood pressure is lowered, I eat a nutritious meal plan, I exercise very regularly, and I have no co-morbidities associated with being overweight. Could I lose a few more pounds? Absolutely. Will I have the discipline to maintain it long-term? Most likely not. So, I focus on living healthy.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    faeriesue1 wrote: »
    I'm aiming for the middle of the healthy BMI section for my height. Once I'm there I'll re-evaluate if necessary.

That's a great idea - we also need to take into account that everyones bone structure is different. For instance, I am 5'2 - healthy weight for me is listed anywhere from 100 pounds - 130. I have a small bone structure but I would imagine if I dropped another 12 pounds to get to the lowest weight people would think I wasn't well. Someone with a large bone structure at the same height as me may look very unhealthy if they weighed between 100-130. I help Run a weight loss program. Message me if youd like any help. I have BMI charts and some great tips if you like.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    It's all about personal preference. That said I did use an ideal weight calculator online to pick my initial number. Then I adjust as I go.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I never worried about some arbitrary number that is cumulative of many different things...fat, muscle, bone density, water, etc...

I just paid attention to the mirror really...
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    We just moved into an apartment and the hall mirror takes at least 20 pounds off by adding 5 inches of height. Or possibly the mirror at my old home was adding 20 pounds. :* I don't have a scale.

Reading this thread, think I'll keep it simple and watch how I'm feeling and how my clothes fit.
  • lisahebert186
    lisahebert186 Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I'm 5' and I just can't see myself under 100 pounds. But I'm not there yet so I guess I'll just take it one day at a time.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I weighed about 120 in my mid-20s and thought I looked fit but not too skinny. I'm 5'5".
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Well I started with not having a weight in mind, but more my shape and fitness. It is not until now two an a half year later and with a number of goals having been reset downward that I start thinking of goal weights. And I am thinking smack in hte middle of my BMI range sounds pretty good - 4 more kg to go
  • aurical84
    aurical84 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    howekaren wrote: »
    According to a prominent bariatric doctor here in Canada, who runs a clinic entirely devoted to the obese, your perfect weight is the one you can maintain long term while living your healthiest lifestyle. As in: my range is between 130 and 150, according to very outmoded and unrealistic BMI charts. However, I've never been lower than 170. My doctor is completely thrilled by that weight, though, as my blood pressure is lowered, I eat a nutritious meal plan, I exercise very regularly, and I have no co-morbidities associated with being overweight. Could I lose a few more pounds? Absolutely. Will I have the discipline to maintain it long-term? Most likely not. So, I focus on living healthy.

I like this approach. According to my BMI I am currently on the line between overweight and obese. To reach the healthy weight range according to BMI should lose at least 30 lbs and an "ideal" weight calculator suggests 55 lbs (up to as much as 72 lbs to hit the low end of the healthy range)

My lowest weight ever was about 10-15 lbs above the high end of the healthy range for my height. Did I still have some excess fat to lose? Sure, but much more than the 10-15 lbs would have probably meant losing as much muscle as fat.

If you have a way to estimate your body fat % (I have the fitbit scale - not super accurate but at least it's something!) you might be better off setting a goal weight based on a target BF%

Here are some links about the importance of body fat, how to measure it etc, and a goal weight calculator:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/02/body-fat-percentage/
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/fitnessevalandassessment/a/Body_Fat_Comp.htm
    http://www.healthchecksystems.com/bodyfat.htm
    https://www.fitwatch.com/calculator/ideal-body-fat-weight
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I could never be what the charts say I should be. 120 lbs?! I didn't even weigh that in high school. I can't even imagine what I would have to do to get there, it certainly wouldn't be healthy and then to stay at that weight? I guess if I quit eating altogether maybe. My goal is 150 - I will still be a bigger girl, but I believe it is obtainable and sustainable.
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I look at the charts and I'm sure I'll ever be in the category it says for me to be in. How did you find your ideal weight?
    My first go to place was BMI range for healthy weight.
    And I was 110 pounds over that - ouch!
    As I struggled with a number, my mind went through all the delusional excuses about why I should not strive for my ideal top weight.
    At day's end, I settled for a number about 10 pounds over the top range to account for muscle development.
    q87kdcdmxiv1.jpg

It's a personal decision to ponder, then decide and get to work.
    Good Luck!
  • lisahebert186
    Options
    RWClary wrote: »
    My first go to place was BMI range for healthy weight.
    And I was 110 pounds over that - ouch!
    As I struggled with a number, my mind went through all the delusional excuses about why I should not strive for my ideal top weight.
    At day's end, I settled for a number about 10 pounds over the top range to account for muscle development.
    q87kdcdmxiv1.jpg

It's a personal decision to ponder, then decide and get to work.
    Good Luck!

You look amazing. Thank you for your input and inspiration.
  • lisahebert186
    Options
    I could never be what the charts say I should be. 120 lbs?! I didn't even weigh that in high school. I can't even imagine what I would have to do to get there, it certainly wouldn't be healthy and then to stay at that weight? I guess if I quit eating altogether maybe. My goal is 150 - I will still be a bigger girl, but I believe it is obtainable and sustainable.

I agree that I need to find an attainable goal.
  • lisahebert186
    Options
    aurical84 wrote: »
    howekaren wrote: »

I like this approach. According to my BMI I am currently on the line between overweight and obese. To reach the healthy weight range according to BMI should lose at least 30 lbs and an "ideal" weight calculator suggests 55 lbs (up to as much as 72 lbs to hit the low end of the healthy range)

My lowest weight ever was about 10-15 lbs above the high end of the healthy range for my height. Did I still have some excess fat to lose? Sure, but much more than the 10-15 lbs would have probably meant losing as much muscle as fat.

If you have a way to estimate your body fat % (I have the fitbit scale - not super accurate but at least it's something!) you might be better off setting a goal weight based on a target BF%

Here are some links about the importance of body fat, how to measure it etc, and a goal weight calculator:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/02/body-fat-percentage/
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/fitnessevalandassessment/a/Body_Fat_Comp.htm
    http://www.healthchecksystems.com/bodyfat.htm
    https://www.fitwatch.com/calculator/ideal-body-fat-weight

Thank you.