I'm giving up

Options
124»

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    When you're truly ready for a change, you won't give up. You're just not ready yet.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    kandeye wrote: »
    I always say this, and not only in regards to weightloss, but you have to get your mind in the right place. Right now you have a super negative mindset. You are using every excuse you can find to justify why it won't work. The people who succeed at anything have an I can do it attitude. We are only human and we all have bad days where we sulk and feel sorry for ourselves and blah blah blah, but don't let those days outweigh the good. Obviously you want to lose weight, you made a great first step by coming to mfp. Maybe check out all of the awesome posts here that can help you get on the right track.

^^This^^ Positive attitude and education have helped me drop 25 pounds since January (this all being while I've been unemployed and my husband racking up many thousands of dollars in medical bills due to 2 emergency surgeries). Take this one day at a time and pay attention to what people are trying to tell you, most of them know what they are talking about. However, always question and research advice you're not sure of.
  • runshellersrun123
    runshellersrun123 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think it is possible to eat healthier food on the same budget you are eating unhealthy food on. The tricky part is you are trying to do a 180 turn on your diet, and you have budget restrictions. So this really requires a lot of planning. Otherwise, you will walk into the grocery store and get overwhelmed and frustrated, and just buy what you're used to buying.
    I would research and have a plan before you go back.
    Secondly, if you truly only have $20 for groceries, you should check nearby food pantries to see if you qualify. The one by me has produce from local gardens during the summer and fall, and most of what they stock is healthy.
    Don't quit yet. You haven't been at it long enough to experience the satisfaction of good results.
  • mespreeman
    mespreeman Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    benjaminhk wrote: »
    a pizza boat from Jet's Pizza.

Aaaaaaand now I want one. I haven't thought about one of those in years.

Thanks. :p
  • laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Umm, yeah 9lb in a week won't reflect the weight you're actually losing, it's mostly water. Don't worry!
    But I know about food budgeting. I try to stick to £35 a week for me and my husband... He's a hard worker, and eats heaps! I'm also not great at portion control

I'm on quite a similar budget to you to feed me and my boyfriend. :-) Tesco's reduced section significantly improves the my quality of life. :')
  • ty_fit0815
    ty_fit0815 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    kandeye wrote: »
    I always say this, and not only in regards to weightloss, but you have to get your mind in the right place. Right now you have a super negative mindset. You are using every excuse you can find to justify why it won't work. The people who succeed at anything have an I can do it attitude. We are only human and we all have bad days where we sulk and feel sorry for ourselves and blah blah blah, but don't let those days outweigh the good. Obviously you want to lose weight, you made a great first step by coming to mfp. Maybe check out all of the awesome posts here that can help you get on the right track.

Love this!!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you really intended to quit you would have. Instead you posted about it. Suck it up buttercup. You know you want this. You can do this. Read the advice you've been given. Take a deep breath and start a new day.
  • TheMojoMissy
    TheMojoMissy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I felt like it was hopeless when I started. The only thing that kept me going was fear that my weight would become MORE of a problem and the realization that it was already a problem in my life. That was it. Because changing my habits was hard. And my goal seemed impossible.

But I knew this:
    (1) My weight was making doing the things I love difficult
    (2) My weight was making caring for the people I love difficult
    (3) My weight would make caring for me difficult if I was fully disabled

So I set a really modest goal. Stop gaining weight. That was it. I felt like that was something I could achieve. I asked MFP to tell me how much I could eat and lose 1 lb/week. I was astounded when it told me I could eat 2000 calories a day (approximately). I figured even if I only stayed at the same weight for the next 2 months following that plan it was a victory. To my surprise I lost weight. And I never looked back.

16 months later and my life is SO very different. I can do the things I love again. I can go hiking. I can be active in the performing arts. I'm still limited by my physical disability, but I'm no longer limited by my weight. I buy clothes in the regular section of the store. I have OPTIONS at Goodwill. I don't feel like I'm wearing a fat suit that no one can see me in.

If the diet is too expensive, reconsider what you mean by diet. You don't need "diet foods". You don't need a fancy gym membership. All you need is to reduce your portions. That's it.

Thank you for this. This is exactly what I needed. I like this goal idea. I'm going to try it & see if it helps me to stop feeling "Why bother?"
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I can't do it anymore. It's been 3 weeks and I'm lying to myself now. Working over nights and dieting on a budget is just too hard. No one around me is supportive. I hate being fat but I hate that I can't do this even more. I don't think think it's going to work out. I feel lke *kitten* every day that I'm. It dieting bt I can't afford it and I can't stay motivated

You are making excuses.
    If you hate being fat ... then start to love eating healthy.
    Eating healthy does not mean expensive,
    but it does mean planning.

What kind of support are you looking for?
    Someone to knock the fork or spoon out of your hand?
    Someone to prepare all your meals and snacks for you?
    Or, someone to talk to about what worked for them and so might work for you?
    If you want someone to baby-sit you, then you are not ready to lose weight and will stay fat.
    If you want to understand yourself and your eating/activity habits that are standing in your way of becoming the slim chick you want to be, then don't quit. Instead, find a way to make it work.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    cate320 wrote: »
    Did you try setting mini goals rather than focusing on how much you have left to lose? I have a similar amount of weight I want to lose, and I know it can be daunting at times to see how much is left, and feel hopeless.

But if you break it down into smaller chunks, and reward yourself (just not with food!) for any weight lost, it will help keep your motivation up. Like, say "If I lose 5 lbs, I will buy those shoes I have been eyeing".

My mini goal is the next 10 pounds I lose I'm buying an outfit (from salvation army cuz I'm hoping it won't fit for too long)

You want to lose 80 pounds and you're broke... why would you waste money on an outfit that you will only wear for 2 months? Sorry but I don't understand this at all. Even if it only costs you $15 at the thrift shop, you could feed yourself for 3-5 days with that... save your money and only buy enough clothes to get by when yours start falling off...

Also check budgetbytes.com for cheap meal ideas.
  • LahrysaTebo2015
    LahrysaTebo2015 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    cate320 wrote: »
    Did you try setting mini goals rather than focusing on how much you have left to lose? I have a similar amount of weight I want to lose, and I know it can be daunting at times to see how much is left, and feel hopeless.

But if you break it down into smaller chunks, and reward yourself (just not with food!) for any weight lost, it will help keep your motivation up. Like, say "If I lose 5 lbs, I will buy those shoes I have been eyeing".

My mini goal is the next 10 pounds I lose I'm buying an outfit (from salvation army cuz I'm hoping it won't fit for too long)

You want to lose 80 pounds and you're broke... why would you waste money on an outfit that you will only wear for 2 months? Sorry but I don't understand this at all. Even if it only costs you $15 at the thrift shop, you could feed yourself for 3-5 days with that... save your money and only buy enough clothes to get by when yours start falling off...

Also check budgetbytes.com for cheap meal ideas.

An outfit for me costs about 6$ relax
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    only quitters quit, but hey- if you want to stay where you are, stay where you are.

I've had months of no movement on the scale. But in the past year and a half, I'm down almost 90 pounds at this point.

I could have quit.

I'm glad I didn't, though.

It doesn't take a lot of money to eat less.
  • Paulina1230
    Paulina1230 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Good healthy food is cheap. Oatmeal, rice, beans, eggs, yogurt, frozen veggies and frozen fruit, milk, chicken breasts....all relatively cheap and will feed you for a long while compared to what you pay for one fast food meal. You CAN eat healthy for not alot of money. Its just what you choose to spend your money on.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    And also to add in there, to love myself enough to keep going when i didnt get the results i expected ( i never do, if it were up to me id have lost double the weight by now)

To love myself enough to keep going when all i wanted to do was quit...

To love myself enough to keep going because i NEED to know what true success feels like.

To love myself enough to fill myself with good foods that do different things for my body and my mind..

Love yourself enough to keep going.

It's just food.

You're hungry, and then u eat it for energy and the end result is the same no matter the calories content.

4oz chicken breast= 100 calories

4 oz chicken breast fried= 265 calories

1 cup of baked french fries= 80 calories

1 cup of fried french fries = 187 calories

Same weight, same effects, prepared differenly.. HUGE difference.

Very nice!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    only quitters quit, but hey- if you want to stay where you are, stay where you are.

I've had months of no movement on the scale. But in the past year and a half, I'm down almost 90 pounds at this point.

I could have quit.

I'm glad I didn't, though.

It doesn't take a lot of money to eat less.

This, exactly.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Friends and roommates go out every night and stuff their faces with pizza and tacos, it isn't fair, you're hungry and miserable. Everyone is enjoying food but you. You're stressed out and can't binge to relieve it. Nobody takes your weight loss seriously, it's a joke, they know it's another one of your crazy attempts, and you're going to fail in a few weeks. Eating healthy sucks, it's expensive and the food tastes terrible. Tracking is so hard, it's too much work, and you have no help and you're overwhelmed.

You are all alone, and that sucks, but it's also empowering. First, quit caring what people around you eat. It's their bodies and their lives, you don't share same goals, so they're going to eat differently...probably a lot more than you :)

If you don't have a digital scale, you need to get one to weigh your food for accurate tracking. What should you eat? You're the boss, eat what you like, track it, stay under goal. Food should be enjoyable.

I don't know if you binged or not, that is more me, but I go for walks instead of through McDonald's drive-thru, it seems to help. Sometimes I play games on steam, it preoccupies me until my cravings/desire to binge passes.

To make tracking easier, use the create meal feature for things over 3 items. Seems to save me time.

Nobody is perfect, you're going to screw up, everyone does. It's okay. Weight-loss is about long term trend, not how you perform on a single day. When you screw up, don't cry or give up, get back to tracking and staying under goal. It is that simple.

Going out, parties, birthdays and holidays are going to happen. You're going to have to learn how to do those things and stay under your calories. You may be the only one there counting calories and saying "No" to triple fudge brownies. You will be alone, but it's a good thing. Looking back, you may be the only one of your friends that can say "I lost all the weight I wanted, all by myself."

Good Lord, if this is how most people view weight loss, no wonder so many give up and gain it all back.

OP, eating within your calorie limits doesn't have to suck.

The food can taste great or crappy. It can be expensive or dirt cheap. It's really your choice, though you may need to learn some basic cooking techniques if you don't cook already. You have all of the selections you had before you decided to lose weight. Just that now you're going to want to do some cost/benefit (calorie vs satiety/nutrition) analysis of those selections and make adjustments as you learn which work well for you.

There's no need to think you can't enjoy food with your friends (especially tacos - many tacos are pretty low cal for restaurant food; they're one of my go-tos when I want a low cal, tasty meal). You can eat less of the same food, you can make a different lower calorie choice, or you can bank calories so you can enjoy without as much restriction. All are good ways to handle it, and all work.