Trying to tone, using weights, how many calories do I really need?

Options
I originally set my goal to lose 2 lbs a week, and MFP put me at 1200 calories... Satiety isn't an issue, I'm still working on my macros (I'm a little under a month into logging, still learning).

But! I recently signed up for a gym membership and am determined to steer more towards weight machines than cardio. It's more fun anyways.
My question is, if I stay on my 1200 calorie limit while working with weights, will I lose muscle instead of "turning my fat into muscle"? I did update my activity level in MFP and added exercise goals, but there's really no way for me to log how many calories I'm burning while I work out, but it still recommends 1200 if I want to lose 2 lbs a week.
I know that if I do get the muscle gains I want, then numbers on the scale won't matter, so I'm not too focused on the 2 lbs a week anymore, I just want to be sure I'm not sabotaging myself for what I want now.

Replies

• chalaivy
    chalaivy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Adding that I weigh about 160, am 5'8", and 20. Open diary. Also my goal is to be at the gym 5 days a week, for roughly an hour-1.5 hours.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    First things first - how much weight do you want to lose? If less than 75 pounds, losing two pounds a week is an overly aggressive goal for most people.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Okay 2lbs a week is a lot...do you have over 75lbs to lose?

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

weight machines are crap imo...free weights.

you can't turn fat into muscle.

I wouldn't lift on 1200 a day...wouldn't have the energy.

YOu won't get gains on 1200 a day you need to eat over maintenance and do a progressive load lifting program to get gains...

If you want to lift weights first thing is to change that weekly weight loss goal...
    be prepared to not lose for the first 3 or 4 weeks
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1096001-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky?page=13#posts-19366042

check the above out and then if you have questions...come back and ask.

Yes I lift heavy, yes I've lost a lot of weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    chalaivy wrote: »
    Adding that I weigh about 160, am 5'8", and 20. Open diary. Also my goal is to be at the gym 5 days a week, for roughly an hour-1.5 hours.

Given your stats you should only aim to lose 0.5lbs per week. There's no need to be only eating 1200 cals.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

so you have what about 10lbs to lose? Maybe 15...see above.

SL 5x5 is 3x a week and it starts about 25-30 mins...at first the heavier you go the longer it gets due to rests.
  • louiandaisy
    louiandaisy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You need to work out your maintenance calories to start with. If you want to loose weight you need to eat less than your maintenance (cut) to add muscle you need to eat above your maintenance (bulk). Or you could recomp (which will take longer but still give good results) by eating your maintenance calories and lifting weights at least 3 times a week.

1200 calories sounds really low to me and I personally think you will struggle lifting weights eating this low. I'm on 2400 calories a day and making really good progress in the amount I can lift. After 8 weeks at this level I will cut my calories by 3500 a week to cut fat which I will do for around 4-6 weeks.

Also fat doesn't turn to muscle you will build muscle and the fat is on top of it so will sometimes give the appearance of being bulky. If you get to that point you may want to then concentrate on loosing the fat whilst maintaining the muscle which is where your protein intake will really count and exercise such as tabata, hiit, circuits etc will help rather than steady state cardio.
  • chalaivy
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

YOu won't get gains on 1200 a day you need to eat over maintenance and do a progressive load lifting program to get gains...

If you want to lift weights first thing is to change that weekly weight loss goal...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1096001-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky?page=13#posts-19366042

I appreciate your feedback. I will change my calorie intake.. If I don't go over maintenance though, what kind of results should I expect? Would I benefit at all?
    I looked at the 5x5. I am a total beginner, I have no idea what any of those terms are except for squats :(
    Can you tell me why you think machines are crap? I have little to no strength so I like the idea that there's a little give in them that helps me out.. I feel like I would struggle hardcore with free weights
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I appreciate your feedback. I will change my calorie intake.. If I don't go over maintenance though, what kind of results should I expect? Would I benefit at all?
    I looked at the 5x5. I am a total beginner, I have no idea what any of those terms are except for squats :(
    Can you tell me why you think machines are crap? I have little to no strength so I like the idea that there's a little give in them that helps me out.. I feel like I would struggle hardcore with free weights

When I started lifting I had no idea either. I watched his videos (online) and learned.

Machines do not engage as many muscles as the free weights.

For example if you squat using the smith machine your core muscles (abs and back) are not engaged like they are if you have to stabilize a bar and lift.

With no strength feel free to start with just the bar and work up.

As for calories I ate 1600 (almost similar stats as you) when I was on a cut and just lifting and lost anywhere from 1/2lb to 1lb a week.

The group I linked has great women who will answer questions and cheer you along and help out.
  • chalaivy
    Options
    You need to work out your maintenance calories to start with. If you want to loose weight you need to eat less than your maintenance (cut) to add muscle you need to eat above your maintenance (bulk). Or you could recomp (which will take longer but still give good results) by eating your maintenance calories and lifting weights at least 3 times a week.

Do you think cutting and then bulking separately would be effective? Or does doing recomp make you lose fat while you're building muscle?
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Do you think cutting and then bulking separately would be effective? Or does doing recomp make you lose fat while you're building muscle?

Most do bulk cut cycles...as recomp takes dedication and a long time.

Recomp is eating just below or at maintenance and lifting. I do it (not on purpose) but not interested in gaining weight purposefully so a bulk for me is out of the question.

I've had good results without realizing it...comments are wow how much more weight have you lost when the scale is reading 3lbs more than it did the last time I saw them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Since you are new to this, I suggest you take a few sessions with a personal trainer. Sure, you could learn on your own online, but with a good trainer, you'll pick it up much faster. Tell him/her that you want to do a progressive lifting program like Strong Lifts or other beginner program that focuses on free weights.

There have been a few threads here about male trainers steering female clients away from free weights. Hopefully you don't have to be insistent, but I wanted to give you a headsup that this is a possibility. If it happens, slap them with New Rules of Lifting for Women (which was available in my library system, so maybe yours as well.
  • chalaivy
    Options

Recomp is eating just below or at maintenance and lifting. I do it (not on purpose) but not interested in gaining weight purposefully so a bulk for me is out of the question.

I've had good results without realizing it...comments are wow how much more weight have you lost when the scale is reading 3lbs more than it did the last time I saw them.

That's awesome! Thank you, I'm def interested. I will look into it now! Any videos u recommend online?
  • SezxyStef
    Options

That's awesome! Thank you, I'm def interested. I will look into it now! Any videos u recommend online?

The stronglift series is good and as mentioned above new rules of lifting for women as well...
  • chalaivy
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Since you are new to this, I suggest you take a few sessions with a personal trainer. Sure, you could learn on your own online, but with a good trainer, you'll pick it up much faster. Tell him/her that you want to do a progressive lifting program like Strong Lifts or other beginner program that focuses on free weights.

There have been a few threads here about male trainers steering female clients away from free weights. Hopefully you don't have to be insistent, but I wanted to give you a headsup that this is a possibility. If it happens, slap them with New Rules of Lifting for Women (which was available in my library system, so maybe yours as well.

That is a good idea. I just get nervous about looking stupid but I guess it has to happen at some point to learn haha. Thank you :)
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I originally set my goal to lose 2 lbs a week, and MFP put me at 1200 calories... Satiety isn't an issue, I'm still working on my macros (I'm a little under a month into logging, still learning).

But! I recently signed up for a gym membership and am determined to steer more towards weight machines than cardio. It's more fun anyways.
    My question is, if I stay on my 1200 calorie limit while working with weights, will I lose muscle instead of "turning my fat into muscle"? I did update my activity level in MFP and added exercise goals, but there's really no way for me to log how many calories I'm burning while I work out, but it still recommends 1200 if I want to lose 2 lbs a week.
    I know that if I do get the muscle gains I want, then numbers on the scale won't matter, so I'm not too focused on the 2 lbs a week anymore, I just want to be sure I'm not sabotaging myself for what I want now.

Muscles do not "tone." They get bigger, smaller, or stay the same size. "Toning" is not a thing.

Why weight machines rather than free weights? I suggest using a beginner's lifting program like Stronglifts 5x5 instead of relying on weight machines that will do nothing for your core or functional strength.

Fat does not turn into muscle.

Why do you insist on losing 2lbs per week? That's a lot, so of course MFP is only giving you 1200 calories per day. Drop it down to 1 lb per week.

MFP's goal is based on net calories, meaning you're supposed to eat back exercise calories. Most people overestimate how many calories they're burning because there's really no way to know for sure with weight lifting (HRMs are not accurate for anything but steady state cardio). This is why a lot of us go in and manually change our goals based on our TDEEs. You can easily search Google for a TDEE calculator.

Gaining muscle while eating at a deficit...probably not. You will have about a year of what they call "newbie gains," but the actual muscle you gain won't be very much. Muscles need calories to grow, meaning you need to eat more calories than you burn in order to gain muscle. The point of lifting while losing weight is to maintain muscle, not add muscle.

Here's what you need to do. Find your TDEE, subtract 20% from it, and eat that many calories while lifting using free weights. While you aren't going to gain significant muscle, you will steadily lose weight while maintaining as much muscle as you can, which is what will give you the "toned" look you want. And just go from there.
  • chalaivy
    Options

Muscles do not "tone." They get bigger, smaller, or stay the same size. "Toning" is not a thing.

Why weight machines rather than free weights? I suggest using a beginner's lifting program like Stronglifts 5x5 instead of relying on weight machines that will do nothing for your core or functional strength.

Fat does not turn into muscle.

Why do you insist on losing 2lbs per week? That's a lot, so of course MFP is only giving you 1200 calories per day. Drop it down to 1 lb per week.

MFP's goal is based on net calories, meaning you're supposed to eat back exercise calories. Most people overestimate how many calories they're burning because there's really no way to know for sure with weight lifting (HRMs are not accurate for anything but steady state cardio). This is why a lot of us go in and manually change our goals based on our TDEEs. You can easily search Google for a TDEE calculator.

Gaining muscle while eating at a deficit...probably not. You will have about a year of what they call "newbie gains," but the actual muscle you gain won't be very much. Muscles need calories to grow, meaning you need to eat more calories than you burn in order to gain muscle. The point of lifting while losing weight is to maintain muscle, not add muscle.

Here's what you need to do. Find your TDEE, subtract 20% from it, and eat that many calories while lifting using free weights. While you aren't going to gain significant muscle, you will steadily lose weight while maintaining as much muscle as you can, which is what will give you the "toned" look you want. And just go from there.

Understood. Somebody else also recommended that I do strong lifts 5x5, and I will be giving that a shot! :) I'm excited to get started! I was using machines because I had the fear that free weights are "men only" and yada yada. But anyways ;)

Which TDEE do you recommend I use to subtract 20% of? Should I use the moderate 3-5x a week exercise maintenance TDEE if I'm going to be starting stronglifts? I found one that put me at 1,840 daily, which sounds right but I wanna make sure its not supposed to be the sedentary, that would put me at 1,480.