Lost 60 pounds while my husband was deployed to Iraq

Options
13»

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!! Thank you all for the kind words...

I told my husband after he left that I really wanted to lose weight, but when the scale actually started moving, I did NOT tell him that the weight was actually coming off. When we would talk on Skype I would wear big Tshirts or sweatshirts - and since the video feed was never really any good where he was deployed, I didn't have to worry so much about him seeing a difference in the weight of my face. So I wouldn't let him see me as the weight was coming off.

He was able to come home in October on leave and by that time I had lost 35 pounds. When I picked him up from the airport he stopped for a minute and then ran up to me and told me he missed me and how beautiful I am.... Then nothing...... Everywhere we would go with friends they would all say things like, "oh my goodness! Did you just die when you saw how much weight she's lost??". And he would just say, "She's so beautiful!".

But he never would say anything about the weight loss.... So after a few days I told him, "ok now, you are hurting my feelings!!!" and he said "why?". I said "cause you haven't said anything about how much weight Ive lost!!!" he said, "Well I just didn't want you to think I didn't like the way you looked before!!!" TYPICAL MAN TRAP huh?? Hehehe

He went back to iraq for another 6 months, and by the time he was home in march 2011 I had lost a total of 60 pounds! He now tells me how proud he is of me.... Cuz I keep telling him how hard this has been...

It has been doubly hard to continue eating right since he's been home!! Like several of the posts said, it's MUCH easier to keep up good eating habits while he's gone, and it's SO easy to fall back into bad habits when he's home. But I'm going to beat the odds!!! I refuse to go back to the way I was!!

A little bit about my family history... Both of my parents were large, my brother weighs close to 500 pounds, and my sister weighs close to 340 pounds... I didn't start to struggle with my weight until after my 30's - now that I'm 43 years old, it's much harder to get it off and keep it off....

To my fellow military wives here..... You CAN do this!!!! And y'all have all done so great so far!!! I cant wait till your husbands get home!!!

You've done a awesome job. You can win this war...you've already won the battle. Just live realistically, eat in moderation and keep active. Your body has no choice but to give you the results you deserve.
  • d_llopez
    d_llopez Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You look great! Mine was deployed to Iraq and just got back. I only lost 20 pds and stopped. Now that i'm on this site i'm pluggin away slowly but surely.
  • Soulierl
    Soulierl Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! Now, kick my butt and make me get up and exercise!!!! :laugh:
  • NJHOLMES43
    Options
    You look terrific! Keep up the great work & stay in there! It's hard to keep up the good habits when your husband returns ( I gained it all back!) but with motivation and hard work you can do it! It's a great feeling to fit into your "skinny" clothes!
  • Inittowinit
    Options
    You look (& no doubt feel) amazing! I'm sure your husband is proud of you. Congratulations!
  • divadoll41
    divadoll41 Posts: 188
    Options
    U look awesome...keep up the goo d work....I bet your husband was very surprised!
  • nursechris66
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS! You look wonderful! And more importantly probably feel better!?!
    Also, thank you to your husband for fighting for our safety and freedom!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    congrats on your weight loss! it is hard doing it when your hubby isn't eating well. i know from experience ;) i hope my husband will start eating less and better too. GL!!!
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    WOW! Terrific!
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations!!!! :) You look great! I'm so happy for you! Tell your husband thank you for serving. We appreciate all of you! :)
  • fitaliciag
    fitaliciag Posts: 373
    Options
    wow! awesome work! great job!
  • Loveebbs
    Loveebbs Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You did a great job and look great. Congrats!!!!
  • aubry87
    aubry87 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    WOW! You look 20 Years Younger! You don't even look like the same person!! Great job! keep it up!
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    You look wonderful - great job!

An idea - if you haven't already - put the pictures from your profile on your refrigerator - 2 reasons, 1 to keep you motivated, 2, to remind your husband where you were and where you are now. Explain to him that you need him to eat healthy with you, so you can remain the now lady and not the before lady.

Hope this works for you! Keep up the excellent work!
  • Sistasarita
    Sistasarita Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You have done a fantastic job with your weight loss! I admire your husband's love and acceptance of you at any weight or size. That speaks volumes to his character. You definitely picked a winner.

He will eventually adapt healthy eating habits. AFG is a country of lack and deprivation. The adjustment from there to here takes time. I've been home three months now and still feel like I am readjusting to all of the new things that came out of this deployment. Returning Warriors have some internal struggles that are tough to put into words...so do weight loss warriors. What I'm trying to say is give him time on the eating healthy thing. I'm sure he is working through some stuff that on some days have nothing to do with chocolate or carrots.

God Bless your family for staying together through it all. It ain't easy but y'all are still doing it.
    Peace and love. :heart:
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!!! nice work!! And thank you to your hubby for serving!
  • LittleBuddy13
    LittleBuddy13 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Now he's been home for 3 months and its a struggle to keep from falling into bad habits again.... I'm trying to encourage him to eat better...and LESS!!! :happy:
    [/quote]

You look great I bet he was all over you when he came back lol :)...it is hard to keep on track with the other half not doing the same so I dont know if he works out or ever eats healthy but maybe you can be slick about having him join you in sum evening walks, say your bored and its nice out, dont say it because you think he needs to lose or anything, just that you would enjoy company. Then in order to keep from going out to eat alot or eating bad things, look up sum new fun recipes of food you know your hubby really enjoys, and just try to make healthier but still fun versions of them...Thats what I did when I was in my past relationship in order for my other half at the time not to get bored or mad that we were eating veggies all day haha. You look so good so stay strong :)
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    You have done a fantastic job with your weight loss! I admire your husband's love and acceptance of you at any weight or size. That speaks volumes to his character. You definitely picked a winner.

He will eventually adapt healthy eating habits. AFG is a country of lack and deprivation. The adjustment from there to here takes time. I've been home three months now and still feel like I am readjusting to all of the new things that came out of this deployment. Returning Warriors have some internal struggles that are tough to put into words...so do weight loss warriors. What I'm trying to say is give him time on the eating healthy thing. I'm sure he is working through some stuff that on some days have nothing to do with chocolate or carrots.

God Bless your family for staying together through it all. It ain't easy but y'all are still doing it.
    Peace and love. :heart:

Really well put..........really!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!