Sedentary = You literally don't move at all

Options
At least that's what mine seems to show.

I have mine set at Sedentary and MFP routinely adds 1000+ calories per day just for walking 2,000 steps. (Actual amount depends on how much I've walked that day)

For example; I have walked 1500 steps today and it has added 800 calories for those 1500 steps. Wow!!

I would figure that most "sedentary" people would at least walk 1500 steps.

My only conclusion is that MFP considers sedentary as 0 movement at all (bedridden).

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Hmm, that doesn't sound right.

What are you using to track your steps?

What are your height, current weight & gender?

I get something like 400 calories if I get my 10K steps, so I'm thinking something's not right here.

~Lyssa
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Do you mean 15,000 steps? If not, that's a very extreme over estimation. Even if it were 15,000 steps, that is still extreme.

I walked 10,000 steps so far today and MFP only added 220 extra calories (I have it synced with my Apple Watch). The most I've seen added was about 900. That was when I had a grand total of 27,000 steps (including a 6 mile run). I also have mine set to sedentary.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    OP: Your tracker may tell you you have burned 800 calories but that amount includes your BMR (calories that you burned by existing). It is not the calories burned by the 1500 steps only
    Track your daily calorie burned given by your tracker. You need to eat less calories than you are burning the entire day (TDEE).
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

I get something like 400 calories if I get my 10K steps, so I'm thinking something's not right here.

~Lyssa

Agreed that something seems off. When I'm indisposed and get under 2,000 steps, my fitbit doesn't give me any calories.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I routinely get 10K steps/day, eat my daily 1350 calories for 5'7 height. The weight *virtually stays the same!!!*

To lose I need to eat 1200 or less, run like rabbit. I am surprised when I see people complain that it's hard! LOL.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I turned off added calories for my steps and only add my exercise
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Something is definitely off for you. My Fitbit Charge HR says I've currently burned 2,044 calories today, but my adjustment on MFP is only 840 calories. The 2,044 represents how much I've burned by existing, in addition to all I've done today. I'd have to eat 2,044 to maintain, not 2,044 on top of my base calories. So yeah, you should not be getting that many calories for such little movement. Do you have negative adjustments enabled?

I'm 5'3" and 115 pounds. I received a 1385 adjustment a few days ago with my Fitbit Charge HR. That was the highest adjustment I've ever had and that took my morning exercise, 25,000 steps, and a crazy amount of hills included in a long walk. I usually eat most of my exercise calories back, but I ended up with a deficit of around 700 calories that day. It should take a lot to earn those amounts on MFP.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Nope, myfitnesspal assumes sedentary individuals walk up to 5,000 steps per day.

Are you syncing a tracker? If so, something seems off.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    yeah....I run about 8km which, according to the interwebs is about the equivalent of 10,000 steps....and that gives me (running, not walking) about 500 cal
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Yikes, 5,000 steps a day is sedentary? If I get 3,000 it's a good day for me.

Guess I'll keep it at sedentary then.
  • Microscopes
    Microscopes Posts: 92 Member
    Options

~Lyssa

Fitbit.
  • Microscopes
    Options
    Do you mean 15,000 steps? If not, that's a very extreme over estimation. Even if it were 15,000 steps, that is still extreme.

I walked 10,000 steps so far today and MFP only added 220 extra calories (I have it synced with my Apple Watch). The most I've seen added was about 900. That was when I had a grand total of 27,000 steps (including a 6 mile run). I also have mine set to sedentary.

Nope.

One thousand, five hundred.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

~Lyssa

Fitbit.

Would you mind providing a screenshot of what the MFP calorie adjustment looks like on the homepage?
  • Microscopes
    Options
    OP: Your tracker may tell you you have burned 800 calories but that amount includes your BMR (calories that you burned by existing). It is not the calories burned by the 1500 steps only
    Track your daily calorie burned given by your tracker. You need to eat less calories than you are burning the entire day (TDEE).
    Good luck in your healthy journey

This isn't the tracker telling me this. It's my fitness pal.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

~Lyssa

Fitbit.

Make sure your height & weight are correct in the Fitbit app. Change them to something bogus if need be, then back to the correct numbers.

And please post the screenshot @synacious asked for, too, so we can be sure we're on the same page.

~Lyssa
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Yikes, 5,000 steps a day is sedentary? If I get 3,000 it's a good day for me.

Guess I'll keep it at sedentary then.

here's a good guide:

1. Sedentary (Inactive) Pedometer steps = less than 5,000 steps a day

This is equivalent to getting less than 150 minutes of exercise per week, or less than the minimum amount of exercise recommended for all adults.

2. Low Active Pedometer steps = 5,000 – 7,499 steps a day

3. Somewhat Active Pedometer steps = 7,500 – 9,999 steps a day

4. Active Pedometer steps = 10,000 steps or more a day

This is the recommended amount of activity for adults to promote and maintain health.

5. Highly Active
    Pedometer steps = 12,500 steps or more a day.

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

~Lyssa

Agreed that something seems off. When I'm indisposed and get under 2,000 steps, my fitbit doesn't give me any calories.

I synced my Garmin early in the day with only 4000 steps and it took 10 calories off.
  • Microscopes
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

~Lyssa

Fitbit.

Would you mind providing a screenshot of what the MFP calorie adjustment looks like on the homepage?

Sure. See below.

tp65eadi0xop.jpg

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

Nope.

One thousand, five hundred.
    synacious wrote: »

~Lyssa

Fitbit.

Screenshot to show your exercise and other calorie calcs please.
  • Microscopes
    Options
    I posted the screenshot above.

As you can see, it added 700+ calories for 1,700 steps.

Ridiculous!