Exercise & Mommyhood

Options
HOW? WHEN? HOW?!?!?

How do you (assuming you are a mom/ parent of a newborn) find the time to workout with a newborn in the home? I have the energy but don't seem to have the time. I'm wanting to make this work and my diet has changed drastically so I know that will help. I just want to be active and become healthier that much faster! HELP!

Sincerely,
Over-exhausted, under-exercised, newly mother

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Are you a single parent?
  • Woody_11
    Woody_11 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Dad can take care of the baby for a half hour while you work out, can't he?
  • Habropoda843
    Habropoda843 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How old is Baby? Being a parent is hard, you're adjusting to a new schedule, new demands, and a body that has changed since pre-baby. Start by just putting Kiddo in a stroller and going for a walk - a little fresh air and a leg stretch will make you feel great and help with some of the stress you might be feeling. If you're only a couple months post-partum, ease back into things. Were you working out hard before, or is it a new thing? If you were fit before, you'll find time to get back to it when you're getting some more sleep. If you're making changes and embracing a more active lifestyle, that's great! But it's not going to happen overnight, especially when those overnights have diaper changes and feedings.

TL;DR: Go easy on yourself, mama. :D Baby steps!

More constructively: I have several apps on my phone that have short workouts -- I like Sworkit and there are a few other "7 minute workout" type apps -- squeeze in one or two rounds while Baby is napping and you're making a great start!

-- mom of 2.5 yr old twins
  • LazSommer
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Are you a single parent?
    Woody_11 wrote: »
    No, I'm not.
    emdeesea wrote: »
    Dad can take care of the baby for a half hour while you work out, can't he?

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I put my newborn in his bouncy chair or swing and put a video on for my toddler or get out a special activity for her during that time. Sometimes it just doesn't work out in the end and that is OK I will plan a walk or get my excercise in elsewhere.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Put baby in a stroller or carrier and walk/run while they nap. I do this several times a week. It's hard when they're tiny, but around 5/6 months they stop eating so frequently and naps are more consistent. My little guy is 7 months now and I've been able to have a good walk or hike nearly every day for more than a month. I also have a barbell and hand weights that i use. That only takes a few minutes so I can do it while he sleeps or when hubby gets home from work. It doesn't always work out, but you will fall into a routine eventually.
  • saraAmcd
    saraAmcd Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Newborns sleep a lot.
  • amyn73
    amyn73 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    A treadmill is a great way to exercise while still at home. On the ithervgand, it might be nice to get out for a bit and exercise in peace! I always liked the walk around the block every evening. Good luck and congrats on your new baby!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    saraAmcd wrote: »
    Newborns sleep a lot.

And most husbands aren't completely worthless. Ask him to step up.
  • LazSommer
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Newborns sleep a lot.

Hey man, you don't speak for all of us. All this worthlessness is hard work.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Newborns sleep a lot.

That's why I said "most"...

...you *kitten* deadbeat.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Jogging stroller and a high school track or paved path. Walking gives you and baby time in fresh air and exercise. Some of our best walks were at a golf course that had a paved walking public path.
  • LazSommer
    Options
    Newborns sleep a lot.

It's not like raising my kids and seeing my wife succeed are some sort of rewarding experiences.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I workout when they sleep. I've got four my youngest are one and two, I still go by that rule of doing it when they sleep. I get up early for a few hours in the AM all to myself. Time management is your enemy not mommyhood.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Newborns sleep a lot.

It's not like raising my kids and seeing my wife succeed are some sort of rewarding experiences.

It tends to interfere with watching sports and spending time at the bar though.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! Here are some things I have done that work for my family and I:

- get in quick 25-30 minute workouts while your sweet little one is napping. I use Jamie Eason's Post Pregnancy Fitness Trainer. The thing I really like about it is that you can take most of the early workouts and stretch them throughout the day. My guy didn't really nap well at first, so being able to do a little here and a little there helped. I will link the plan at the bottom.
    - find a place where you can walk with your baby.
    - My husband and I have decided to start building a home gym. His work schedule isn't really conducive to either of us being able to make it to the gym consistently.
    - I have my husband watch our little man for a little while on the weekend so I can go do something fun and active.
    - Be sure to deal with any pelvic floor or diastasis recti issues before you jump into an exercise program.
    - Some days are going to be better than others and that's OK. If you are exhausted, the best thing you can do for your body is sleep and eat healthy food.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-post-pregnancy-trainer.html
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I did mini workouts during naps.

There are 2 ladies at my gym who just had babies. They currently walk the track with their babies in a wrap style carrier on their chests.

I also did lots of walks with a stroller (I had the graco stroller that you can snap the infant carrier into and when they are to big for that use it as a regular stroller....ended up getting a double made like that when my second was born).
  • vjrozmia
    vjrozmia Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When my baby was a newborn, I would workout during her morning nap while my husband held her. I would also take walks with her in the stroller while she slept in the afternoon. Now that she is 1, and sleeping at night, I wake up early to workout before she wakes up.

Go easy on yourself. Your baby won't be little forever, and you'll get back into it as baby gets older.