All Women--please help.

Options
I've been having trouble losing weight lately. I've been doing really good except on my birthday with cake & icecream. Every once in a while I'll have a slice of pizza or a French fry but I have been really good. I also just recently got on birth control? I would love any advice! Thank you!!

Replies

• Shineylou
    Shineylou Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm around 180lbs, I eat anywhere from 1200-1500 calories a day. I am about 5'9"
  • Shineylou
    Options
    I lost all of my weight on birth control and am now off of it. It might make you retain a little water, but don't worry about it.

Also, considering that you're 5'9", you should probably be eating more than 1200. Are you weighing all of your food and making sure the entries are accurate?

Okay that's good to know that it's not the birth control. Yes & yes :/
  • jessicanb1029
    jessicanb1029 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Shineylou wrote: »
    I'm around 180lbs, I eat anywhere from 1200-1500 calories a day. I am about 5'9"

You are my exact measurements and I am too looking for help!!
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I gained a lot of weight when I started BC, mostly in my boobs :) ( . )( . ) should level out after a couple months. bUT! Beware or the hormone changes & wear your SPF!! Any signs or Melasama-immediately discontinue & talk to your DR.
  • Shineylou
    Options
    Shineylou wrote: »

You are my exact measurements and I am too looking for help!!

How old are you?? I would love a friend with the same problem and same size!!
  • Shineylou
    Options
    coalz wrote: »
    I gained a lot of weight when I started BC, mostly in my boobs :) ( . )( . ) should level out after a couple months. bUT! Beware or the hormone changes & wear your SPF!! Any signs or Melasama-immediately discontinue & talk to your DR.

Thank you. I'll keep my head up and wait a couple of months!
  • JustJenn2014
    JustJenn2014 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9 and started at 214. I'm on Nuvaring. It was really super hard and incredibly discouraging to try to lose weight. Then I started appts with a licensed nutritionist, (100% covered by my insurance BTW) and she pointed out my calories were too low, so was my protein intake and my carbs were way to high. It's not just about the calories!
    She's got me on 1600/day with percentage macro goals of 45% carbs, 30% fat and 25% protein. I have been constantly loosing AND I'm not starving.
    For exercise I walk at least 10,000 steps a day, 3x kickboxing and 1 hour yoga.
    I hope this helps!
  • Shineylou
    Options
    I am 5'9 and started at 214. I'm on Nuvaring. It was really super hard and incredibly discouraging to try to lose weight. Then I started appts with a licensed nutritionist, (100% covered by my insurance BTW) and she pointed out my calories were too low, so was my protein intake and my carbs were way to high. It's not just about the calories!
    She's got me on 1600/day with percentage macro goals of 45% carbs, 30% fat and 25% protein. I have been constantly loosing AND I'm not starving.
    For exercise I walk at least 10,000 steps a day, 3x kickboxing and 1 hour yoga.
    I hope this helps!

Oh my goodness! No that's awesome, thank you
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm also 5'9" and started birth control pills when I was 19.

I'm 23 now, and I did notice a slow creep of weight gain, but it was only like 10lbs and it came right off as soon as I started paying attention to my food and going to the gym. It's absolutely something you can fight, don't give up :)

BC makes your body heard a lot of water weight, so try and avoid sodium-rich foods like canned soups or salty chips, and make sure you're drinking a lot of water. This will help you see the results of your diets/workouts faster so that you don't get discouraged. You'll also probably benefit from a good amount of cardio, specifically endurance training instead of speed. If you can get to a treadmill, set the incline higher than normal and speedwalk for about 30 minutes a few times a week. It works really well for me.

Oh, add me if you like! I try and have a lot of friends my height so we can all be on the same page.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Birth control can make your appetite larger + make you hold more water weight, but it itself won't make you gain weight (read: fat). I gained 25lb on the DEPO shot, about 10lb from the pill, and about 15lb on the ring. HOWEVER, I'm VERY sedentary and I ate badly. However, I've lost a little over 10lb this month while still on the ring (i've been on it about 3-4 years now) so as long as you're sticking to your goals it shouldn't be the BC.
  • lovinlife1687
    lovinlife1687 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 180lbs. Started my journey 3 weeks ago at 189. I have had 2 kids in the last 3 years and my body isn't what it used to be! Watch your carb intake. Lots of veggies, lean protein, some fruit and tons of water. I take It Works supplements to help me reach my goals and I've been happy with the steady weightloss so far. Start logging what you eat and give yourself a cheat meal weekly. Something to reward yourself for the week of clean eating.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    BC alone doesn't make you gain weight, but it can make you hungrier more often, it does that for a lot of women. Never did to me, but I know others it did that to.

If you have issues with restricting foods you like and then eating a lot when you have special occasions, you might be better off allowing smaller portions of those foods in your day. It's perfectly possible to lose weight and still treat yourself with foods you like, just learn what a proper portion of said food is and account for it.
  • mercy7889
    mercy7889 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just started NuvaRing & have noticed an increased in appetite. Note sure if it's all in my head, but I'm very hungry all the time. I'm going to switch my mentality & get back on the horse. I think after the 3 months my body will adjust to the hormones & everything will roll nicely. What are your experiences with weight gain?