Getting twitches on Keto... Potassium?

Options
Psysix
Psysix Posts: 53 Member
In getting muscle spasms and eye twitches after a week and a half of keto dieting. I think I'm missing something. I find potassium is hard to get but maybe that's not the problem? I've been focusing on trying to supplement to at least over half the daily but what else could it be?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Magnesium/Calcium?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm having muscle twitches/spasms too and I'm trying to figure out what it is between potassium and magnesium.
  • Psysix
    Options
    I'm supplementing to take magnesium and my calcium is fine. Potassium is the only one I can see I only get about halfway....
  • ashleyadeline
    ashleyadeline Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ketogenic diets can be very dangerous. Eating a plant based diet with less meat and more legumes is not only way easier, but it also is shown to be healthy for long term (and that's what people should be aiming for), and there are far less health risks. If you're getting any negative symptoms, especially things like twitching, the diet isn't the best option for you. Good luck.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    See your doctor. While it could be something simple, it could also be something very serious. You should not take random shots in the dark and start supplementing electrolytes without knowing if you are truly deficient. If you aren't and you start supplementing you can have very serious and potentially lethal side effects. Potassium is under reported on MFP. You are actually likely getting more than MfP shows because it is left out in a lot of the nutrition information on here.
  • kingrat2014
    kingrat2014 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I had these problems too when I started. So it was suggested to use bone broth, and it helped me and now I continue to use it. Mine tastes great to me.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2016
    Options
    How much water are you taking in? What about sodium levels? Cramping can be a sign of dehydration and electrolyte imbalances. You definitely need to get enough potassium (dark leafy greens) on this diet.
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It's probably potassium. Also, make sure you're drinking plenty of water.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    i suggest you take a minute to track one of your days into cronometer. https://cronometer.com/
    This will give you the specific amino acids, specific vitamins/minerals, etc. It may give you an idea of what you're really lacking in, and if you're lacking in it consistently you can add that into your diet with a supplement.

P.S. I use MFP to track my intake, but i much prefer cronometer for the specific nutrients.
  • MaGrl523
    MaGrl523 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It's usually because of low potassium. Eat a banana or even better a sweet potato since they have even more potassium than a banana.
  • drwilseyjr
    Options
    MaGrl523 wrote: »
    It's usually because of low potassium. Eat a banana or even better a sweet potato since they have even more potassium than a banana.

Might not be able to do a sweet potato, depending on the rest of her net carbs. It has approx. 23g net carbs which is about half of what you want per day on keto.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Coconut water is loaded with potassium and very easy on the carbs.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Consider opening your diary. Some people will spend the time and pinpoint errors.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Psysix wrote: »
    In getting muscle spasms and eye twitches after a week and a half of keto dieting. I think I'm missing something. I find potassium is hard to get but maybe that's not the problem? I've been focusing on trying to supplement to at least over half the daily but what else could it be?

I'd bet potassium, happened to me too. I started getting cramps on my morning jogs, but I started taking potassium suppliments (4 @ 99 gr) and it stopped. I also switched to lite salt as it is a mix of sodium and potassium. I would also look at your water consumption and maybe even caffeine. If I drink too much caffeine I can get similar symptoms. But since you mentioned Keto I'd try potassium.
  • Psysix
    Options
    I believe potassium was the problem. I took 6 potassium pills and had an avocado last night and I feel great today. No twitches. :) Thank you everyone.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Psysix wrote: »
    I believe potassium was the problem. I took 6 potassium pills and had an avocado last night and I feel great today. No twitches. :) Thank you everyone.

You should really consult your doctor. Too much potassium can have serious consequences, including cardiac dysrhythmias.
  • ashleyadeline
    ashleyadeline Posts: 20 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    drwilseyjr wrote: »
    Ketogenic diets can be very dangerous. Eating a plant based diet with less meat and more legumes is not only way easier, but it also is shown to be healthy for long term (and that's what people should be aiming for), and there are far less health risks. If you're getting any negative symptoms, especially things like twitching, the diet isn't the best option for you. Good luck.

@ashleyadeline Wow, way to push a vegetarian diet and fear monger a bit with absolutely nothing to back all your claims and preaching.

Telling people that they "should be striving" for any diet is a real pompous and self centered claim. Every person is different and every person will respond to different diets differently.

I'm on a keto diet and perfectly healthy.

Go preach somewhere else.

It's really too bad that you feel the need to respond in anger when someone brings up an opinion that isn't your own. First off, a plant based diet is not necessarily a vegetarian diet, and it has been constantly shown in academic research to be superior to a high meat and high fat diet, due to the increase in fiber and micronutrients. Second, just because you perceive yourself to be healthy on a diet, does not mean you are actually healthy. A lot of detrimental health effects take a while to form. Also, there is no proof that you are actually following the ketogenic diet properly, so you saying that you are perfectly healthy means absolutely nothing. Thirdly, Just because someone has an opinion that differs from your own does not mean that they are pompous, or self centered. I am bringing the information from my multiple university level nutrition courses as well as from scientific articles. I don't know why get so upset over someone saying your diet is not the best diet to choose.

Here are some things to think about before insulting someone who is trying to help:
    "the 90% fat, 7% protein and 3% carbohydrate diet that comprises the classical KD, is nutritionally the “outlier” of all diets. The KD lacks vitamins, trace-minerals and electrolytes unless it is properly supplemented (Zupec-Kania and Zupanc, 2008). The metabolic changes induced by the KD are both radical and diffuse, forcing every cell in the body to rely primarily on beta oxidation rather than glycolysis for energy production. In the process, the KD produces a compensated metabolic acidosis and affects hormonal pathways, genetic regulation as well as neurotransmitters production etc."

"Gastro intestinal (GI) problems are common since the KD lacks fiber and bulk, and GI problems may occur in up to 3/4 of all KD patients. Gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD) and constipation are most commonly seen and occur because fat lowers the esophageal sphincter tone, slows gastric emptying and decreases intestinal transit time"
    Nephrolithiasis (kidney stone formation) is also common, occurring in 10% of the people studied.
    http://www.sciencedirect.com.proxy.ufv.ca:2048/science/article/pii/S092012111100204X?

This is a study talking about sudden cardiac deaths related to the ketogenic diet due to selenium deficiency, which has been known to cause impaired myocardial function.
    http://www.sciencedirect.com.proxy.ufv.ca:2048/science/article/pii/S0887899408003998?np=y

This is just a sliver of the literature showing that the ketogenic diet is only beneficial for a very small portion of people (those with epilepsy), and it's still very dangerous. Why would you choose to go on a a dangerous diet when there is a very, very easy diet (the plant based diet) that has consistenly showed how extremely beneficial it is? It does not make any sense, other than the fact that the ketogenic diet is a fad diet.

This study shows the immense benefits of a plant based diet:
    -Decreased risk of many diseases, including heart disease, cancer, and diabetes.
    - there is significantly more fiber in a plant based diet, which leads to increased gastro intestinal health and decreased chance of heart disease.
    - Significantly lowered cholesterol levels.
    - decreased caloric intake per pound, which combats obesity, heart disease, and diabetes.
    - Increased nutrient level per pound.
    (Hill, D. S. (2014). Health Benefits of a Plant-Based Diet. Maryland Nurse, 16(1), 6-7 2p.)

Even if I post way more studies, you will find reasons to dismiss them and choose to continue to believe your own opinion, which is fine. You can do whatever you want. Just please do not assume because someone is trying to point out a problem within something, that they are being a giant turd, it just makes you look like a giant turd.
  • drwilseyjr
    Options
    @ashleyadeline Yeah, no proof I'm following it. You're right, I'm just swallowing balls of lard.

I researched the way of eating keto far before I chose the diet. And I have absolutely no vitamin or fiber deficiencies. Not to mention I'm not a layman when it comes to human biology and nutrition. But I'm glad you can examine me and make assumptions with no proof.

Also, you don't need to follow the classic KD to get your body into ketosis. A 70%/25%/5% macro split is sufficient.

My problem with your original post is your knee jerk reaction to call a keto diet dangerous and then suggest a "superior" diet to someone you don't even know.

If you would have come out and explained why you feel this way in the first place, you wouldn't have sounded like a sanctimonious *kitten*.

The fact is, if managed correctly and followed correctly, a keto diet can be (and has been) perfectly safe and fine for many people. Is it for everyone? Absolutely not.

But to say it's dangerous and flood me and everyone else with research papers on how good a plant based diet is while ignoring the piles of research (established and ongoing) of keto diets and their benefits to some people on them is rather disingenuous.

A plant based diet is perfectly fine for some. For others, a keto diet is perfectly fine and safe.
  • Pollywog_la
    Pollywog_la Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Dangerous how?
    I have been keto/low carb (under 35g carbs a day) for 3 1/2 years. When do I start getting dangerous side effects?

Not everyone thrives on the same diets. I was vegetarian for 25 years, but I didnt really care for it and ate too much junk food to compensate. Now I eat the opposite way and feel great and don't feel deprived like I did eating veggies and low fat.