2 years and not a single pound loss...

Options
So I have this problem- I can stitck to my nutritionist approved, suited for me diet really really well for 3 days, but then I always ALWAYS ending up binging and undoing all the progress on the 4th day. It's like I get to day 4 and I just lose all control around food- it's almost like instinct that I eat everything in sight . Because of this, I've made no progress and have actually gained weight. I know that I need to change something, cuz clearly this isn't working, but I'm not quite sure what to change. Any thoughts on what I should do and/or tips for my situation would be greatly appreciated- I need them. Thanks!

Replies

• Cyndiaquino
    Cyndiaquino Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I threw everything out junk related. I only have granola bars as snacks. My enemy is chocolate. So instead of going crazy and binging on all that, I will have a granola/ fiber bar instead. It's easier said than done. Whatever you feel stops you from eating healthier, it needs to go. Or...if you have enough calories, you can fit it into your calories for the day. Certain choloates for me, I can't stop at one piece, so those are a once in awhile type.
  • Cyndiaquino
    Options
    I also wanted to add, I've tried MFP 3 other times. It wasn't until this time that I was really doing it. This time was different.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Are you being realistic when agreeing to the plan with the nutritionist diet? Without knowing what its actually like it might be too aggressive? That seems to be the main reason behind the restriction/binge cycle that may people including me seem to go through over and over again.

Planning and preparation play a big part for me to ensure I stay on track. Plan my weeks meals (we usually plan Sun-Fri) and that forms my shopping list. I also like have meals frozen ready to take for lunch during the week or plan that one nights dinner leftovers will be lunch the next day. That keeps my on mostly on track. I usually eat more on the weekend but I also tend to move a lot more too so it kinds evens out.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    What kind of plan does this "nutritionist" have you on? If you can't stick with it more than three days, it may be too restrictive. Try making smaller changes. How about start by just logging everything you eat here. Sometimes that awareness is enough to get you making small changes and moving toward you goals.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I just eat whatever I like, while staying within my calorie limit.

77 lbs lost since April 2015.

The only rule is 'Calories In' less than 'Calories Out'.

Everything else is personal preference.
  • Cyndiaquino
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I just eat whatever I like, while staying within my calorie limit.

77 lbs lost since April 2015.

The only rule is 'Calories In' less than 'Calories Out'.

Everything else is personal preference.

I agree with this. I eat almost the same things (some healthier choices) as I did before, aND changed my portion sizes. I'm down almost 57 pounds in 8 months. I also agree with the person above, you need to evaluate what your nutritionist wants from you.
  • KatherinePM
    KatherinePM Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    So I have this problem- I can stitck to my nutritionist approved, suited for me diet really really well for 3 days, but then I always ALWAYS ending up binging and undoing all the progress on the 4th day. It's like I get to day 4 and I just lose all control around food- it's almost like instinct that I eat everything in sight . Because of this, I've made no progress and have actually gained weight. I know that I need to change something, cuz clearly this isn't working, but I'm not quite sure what to change. Any thoughts on what I should do and/or tips for my situation would be greatly appreciated- I need them. Thanks!

It sounds like a mental thing to me, maybe a mild binge eating disorder?? Psychotherapy (CBT based) may really help you overcome this pattern.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    First make sure the plan you are supposed to follow makes sense. Like, you are not starving and it is not excluding all foods you like.
    Second, go back to the nutritionist, if you have not already done so, or find a new one, and explain the problem.
    If the plan is realistic, and you have already discussed solutions, then ask yourself if losign weight is important to you. If not, nothing will work. If yes, time to talk to a therapist.
  • cate320
    cate320 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Are you going to a nutritionist or a dietician? Just FYI, anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. In the US, only the term dietician is regulated and requires a license.

If you really need help coming up with a meal plan, go to someone with better credentials.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    You need to be evaluated for binge eating behavior.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    cate320 wrote: »
    Are you going to a nutritionist or a dietician? Just FYI, anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. In the US, only the term dietician is regulated and requires a license.

If you really need help coming up with a meal plan, go to someone with better credentials.
    true but its almost impossible to get a jon as a "nutritionist" if you dont have a degree and at that point thed rather you just do the testing to become a RD (i have a masters in nutrition) and no im not a nutritionist its a stepping stone degree.
  • tempeliik
    tempeliik Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If ur enemy is chocolate then u r low on ur magnesium. Try to eat nuts or dark chocolate instead (a square of it). Suppress ur sugar cravings with fruits instead or Quest Bars.
  • Cyndiaquino
    Options
    tempeliik wrote: »
    If ur enemy is chocolate then u r low on ur magnesium. Try to eat nuts or dark chocolate instead (a square of it). Suppress ur sugar cravings with fruits instead or Quest Bars.

Thanks! I'll have to try this! ☺
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Why did you see a nutritionist? Is it just for weight loss or do you have a medical issue that required a special diet?
    If you can't stick to it for more than 3 days it is an unsustainable diet for you.
    Is your weight loss goal too aggressive? What are your stats and how many calories are you eating? If you have 50 lbs or less to lose 1 lb a week is a pretty good goal. If you are more than 50 lbs overweight then you might try 2 lbs a week but you still might find that difficult. Have a smaller deficit and lose weight slower but more comfortably.
    Did you cut out a lot of foods with the diet from the nutritionist? Weight loss is about calories. Eat the foods you would normally eat and just watch your calorie intake.
    I suggest just using MFP. Log everything you consume as accurately as you can. Get a food scale to help you do that.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like the diet that your nutritionist provided is not suited for you at all, and is quite unsustainable. Is it very low calorie or excluding a lot of things that you really like? Weight loss is not complicated. Just find the foods you like, make sure you stick with the calories MFP gives you for the loss you're looking for (weigh your food portions with a food scale) and you will lose weight. If your goal is too aggressive and has your calories too low, try upping them for a slower loss. The slower your loss, the more sustainable it will be for you, even 1/2 pound a week adds up quick as time flies by.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Here are some tips:

Weight gain/loss is determined by one thing alone: calories in vs calories out. Simply go on google, type in "TDEE Calculator", and enter you age, height, sex, weight, and activity level.

Using that number, eat -500 calories of that daily to lose 1lb per week. No ifs or buts. That means you might have to buy a digital weight scale and have a myfitnesspal account, and start measuring every single thing you put in your mouth for weeks and months. It takes 3500 calories of deficit a week for 1 lb of weight loss, so -500 calories daily will get you there.

Remember, overweight people tend to underestimate how much they are eating (and inversely, underweight people overestimate how much they eat).

Additional tips:
    Drink lots of water so you are not always hungry
    Drink a glass of water before a meal, it will help fill you up before you eat
    Replace sodas with diet sodas - 0 calories so that helps keep it low
    Eat lots of single ingredient foods - fish, chicken, fruits, etc. Obviously dressed to how you like it, but beware - sauces with olive oil or ranch is high in calories.
    Once your weight gets low enough, you can go at a -250 calories deficit for a loss of 0.5lbs per week (aka a slow cut).

Beware: Fruit juices (filled with sugar and calories), too many nuts, spreadables (i.e. peanut butter), shakes (400 calories?? That's 2/3s of my meal!), starbucks fraps, and frozen microwavable meals.

And remember, it is a marathon, not a sprint. The longer it takes for you to get to your goal, the more permanent it is. Losing 1 lb weekly = ~50lbs in a year. Please note that weight loss is not linear (per this graph) but the general trend should be going down.

Basically, it doesn't matter if it's the cleanest meal program in the world, if you don't follow it, it is not working. Find something more realistic AS LONG AS YOUR CALORIES IS UNDER YOUR TDEE I do go for fastfood sometimes, and I check their caloric values out beforehand so I know what I can get (It's usually a double grilled chicken burger/wrap, no sides, and a diet coke for ~600 calories which works FOR ME). Find what works for you.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    wow I love how people go to BED and therapy right off....without knowing what the "diet" is...

Maybe its too low in calories, maybe too restrictive.

OP what is the diet?
  • Tydeclare44
    Tydeclare44 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    wow I love how people go to BED and therapy right off....without knowing what the "diet" is...

Maybe its too low in calories, maybe too restrictive.

OP what is the diet?

As much as I agree with this, the way she is describing her binges do sound like BED. I personally battle with BED, and I can relate to what she s describing here.

OP, I would encourage you to first make sure that your diet is no too restrictive. Remember, change for life, not just a few weeks or a month. Talk to your nutritionist about finding a plan that may alleviate the stress and obsession around a restrictive diet.

As for the bingeing, if you do not choose to seek professional help, that is your choice. However, next time you feel a binge coming on, be conscious in your eating. Step back, take a breath, and really think about why you are about to eat. What are your emotions like at the present moment? If you do experience BED, just know that this isn't something that is going to change overnight, but, just like dieting, it does get easier to manage. Be conscious when you are eating

OP, know that you are beautiful just the way you are, and you are awesome in this moment.

• motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I'll echo what a few others have said, if you can only manage to stick to it for 3 days maybe it's too restrictive. I've had trainers in the past come up with meal plans for me, and it's like they never listen lol. They'll come up with plans filled with all this healthy goodness that I don't like (I.e. Oatmeal, nuts, etc.) and despite my telling them I won't be able to stick to something where I literally don't like the food, they just wouldn't care and say oh well it's good for you, or food is for fuel not because you like it. Or I'll do my best to stick with it by trying to eat only the stuff that I do like, and then it would end of being to low cal and I would be starving.

Make sure your plan is something that YOU can stick to long term! I've got no trainer and no nutritionist while trying to lose weight now, and it's the most I've lost and it's been the easiest. All I'm doing is watching my calories and working out...I still eat most of the things I've always enjoyed.

You can do it!