Intermittent fasting for women

Options
nebaru
nebaru Posts: 8 Member
Any women would like to share their experience with intermittent fasting. I tried for 2 weeks and decreased my BF% by ~1% but it was pretty challenging. Anybody tried it for longer? My main issue was being distracted by thoughts of food around 9-10 am. I fasted from 8pm to 12 pm.

Replies

• ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I've done IF in one form or another since 2012. I did alternate day IF (JUDDD), for the weight loss phase (rotated between maintenance level calorie days and then very low 'fasting' calorie days of under 500 calories).

I did 5:2IF for the transition period between the weight loss phase and maintenance (I still lost some weight during this time as well)

And then I did 16:8IF as part of my maintenance plan, for the past few years (eating window 11am-7pm).

IF has helped me reach my goals, but I decided to take a break from it because I'm bored with it. I officially stopped yesterday and I ate something yesterday at 10am and it felt really weird lol. But, IF worked for me and I'm glad that I used it. I'll probably come back to it at some point as well.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I couldn't stand IF. I rather have more frequent meals and the bad breath was terrible. At the end of the day, it will provide no greater fat loss than an equivalent diet eating throughout the day. It's all about total calorie consumption.
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. I can't eat when I'm working so usually I just eat near my calorie budget before work since I hate eating late. I don't really call it fasting, I just call it "eating when I can cook for myself" instead of stressing over a healthy dinner outside
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I personally can't do it because i started having some disordered eating/bingeing. Although if it works for you i say go for it!
  • mdsupple
    mdsupple Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started IF; two weeks in and I'm liking it. I think it works for me because I tend to be lazy. I don't want to count calories. I don't want to stress over which foods I'm allowed. Basically, all I have to remember is which day I'm fasting and not eat at work that day. I make sure I have plenty of water (sometimes tea or coffee). I have a reminder on my work calendar set up to remind me every hour to get up, move, and drink. I haven't experienced any need to binge eat or had any other negative side effects. Frankly, I think this calorie reduction method (I hate the word diet) can be helpful for some people. But it's not for everyone; different strokes for different folks. :smile:
  • ReaderGirl3
    edited April 2016
    Options
    mdsupple wrote: »
    I just started IF; two weeks in and I'm liking it. I think it works for me because I tend to be lazy. I don't want to count calories. I don't want to stress over which foods I'm allowed. Basically, all I have to remember is which day I'm fasting and not eat at work that day. I make sure I have plenty of water (sometimes tea or coffee). I have a reminder on my work calendar set up to remind me every hour to get up, move, and drink. I haven't experienced any need to binge eat or had any other negative side effects. Frankly, I think this calorie reduction method (I hate the word diet) can be helpful for some people. But it's not for everyone; different strokes for different folks. :smile:

You still need to restrict/track your calorie intake while doing IF if you want to lose weight. IF is just a fancy way to manipulate calories, it's not a weight loss plan in itself.

With ADF-JUDDD/5:2IF the calorie restrictions are built into the plan. With 16:8IF there are no calorie restrictions built in so you have do the calculations and figure out what your calorie deficit needs to be for your goals. You can definitely gain weight while doing IF without being mindful of your calorie intake (had this happen to me this past winter, after I stopped tracking my calories, still doing IF).
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I started 16:8 four weeks ago but did need to take almost a week off of it last week due to travel. So it is way too soon to say how it has helped my weight loss, but regardless I do like it and plan to keep at it. I mostly enjoy having larger meals, 2 per day instead of 3 smaller. It was a bit rough the first week and I didn't make it (or push it) to the full 16 on most days either, just tried to work with my body's natural hunger responses. After that first week it got way easier and going until noon takes little or no effort. I would just caution those who push it while being really hungry, we should work with our bodies not against. Give it time. I also don't due the bulletproof coffee stuff, too many calories for too few nutrients IMO. Plus it gave me serious gut rot, lol.
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm trying it out myself. My main concern is the hormone imbalance it can create in women. Anyone know about this? & what's up with us suppose to consume minimal nuts & fruits? It's hard to be restricted from foods That are normally my go to healthy snacks. I definitely still drink coffee in the AM cause the warmth fills me up & the caffeine suppresses the appetite.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    coalz wrote: »
    I'm trying it out myself. My main concern is the hormone imbalance it can create in women. Anyone know about this? & what's up with us suppose to consume minimal nuts & fruits? It's hard to be restricted from foods That are normally my go to healthy snacks. I definitely still drink coffee in the AM cause the warmth fills me up & the caffeine suppresses the appetite.

Where did you hear about this? I have never heard of either. Nuts are a very good snack and so is fruit. Nuts, and really any unsaturated fat, has been linked to lowering cholesterol and fruit is high in nutrients.
  • ReaderGirl3
    edited April 2016
    Options

I've never heard about the nuts thing (and I've been a part of the IF scene for several years now). As for hormonal issues-the verdict is still out on that one. There's not a lot of research available yet, and some women have reported issues with missed periods/early menopause etc. But to pinpoint these things on IF is sketchy. There's nothing concrete out there that says one way or the other. For me personally, I haven't had any issues, but each person may react differently to IF so it's one of those things you just have to experiment with and see how it goes.
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I tried it but my appetite was uncontrollable. I also love to eat so I felt too deprived. Scheduled meals have given me better results personally. I wish I had the success that others have had with it. I might try it again for maintenance later.
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    At the end of the day, it will provide no greater fat loss than an equivalent diet eating throughout the day. It's all about total calorie consumption.

This is true. Most "diets" are just gimmicks to get you to eat less. For weight loss, it pretty much all boils down to how many calories you consume in a 24-hour period in comparison to how many you burned, regardless of the times you ate, the macro ratios, etc.
  • KarlynKeto
    edited April 2016
    Options

I have heard this too, trying to find where. If I recall correctly it is based only on one study by a female doc or scientist who compared the results from a group of men and women. I believe it addressed longer periods of fasting like the 5:2 diet or the 3 day fast. The men did much better then the women, but women showed good results too. The takeaway for women (if I recall correctly!) was inconclusive but that it MIGHT not be ideal for women to do longer term fasting. I don't remember the specifics about hormones though, it might just have been the theory as to why men performed better - assuming women natural hold onto fat more than men due to biological reasons. Since I have no interest in doing more than the 16:8, which seems perfect normal and not an extreme range, I really didn't find the study all that compelling for my situation. If I find it, I will post it!

Also, IF is not a diet specific plan. The core reasoning is to eat your normal diet - whatever that may be - during the window. The restrictions of nuts, fruit or any other category of food would be a separate logic.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I started IFing unintentionally when I was close to hitting maintenance.

I was tired of eating small meals all day so I experimented with eating larger meals less frequently while eating the same calorie amount. Just in a smaller eating window.

It worked very well for me. I adapted quickly and enjoyed eating much more satisfying meals and I also experienced fat loss at a quicker rate as time went on as well. Especially in my stubborn fat areas.

I've been eating this way for over 3 years now, I'm in perfect health, never lost my cycle or had any issues. I can not see myself ever going back to eating all day.
  • KarlynKeto
    edited April 2016
    Options
    DanSTL82 wrote: »
    At the end of the day, it will provide no greater fat loss than an equivalent diet eating throughout the day. It's all about total calorie consumption.

This is true. Most "diets" are just gimmicks to get you to eat less. For weight loss, it pretty much all boils down to how many calories you consume in a 24-hour period in comparison to how many you burned, regardless of the times you ate, the macro ratios, etc.

The way I understand it the theory of IF is more about which type of fuel your body will burn - fat vs sugar, and not about burning more fuel overall on the same amount of calories. (Although, I don't doubt many doing IF will misinterpret that.)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    KarlynKeto wrote: »

The way I understand it the theory of IF is about which type of fuel your body will burn - fat vs sugar, and not about burning more fuel overall on the same amount of calories. (Although, I don't doubt many doing IF will misinterpret that.)

Over the span of 24hrs, the amount of fat vs sugar burned will be fairly equal.
  • KarlynKeto
    Options
    KarlynKeto wrote: »

The way I understand it the theory of IF is about which type of fuel your body will burn - fat vs sugar, and not about burning more fuel overall on the same amount of calories. (Although, I don't doubt many doing IF will misinterpret that.)

Over the span of 24hrs, the amount of fat vs sugar burned will be fairly equal.

Maybe, but there are many who feel otherwise. For reference, here is a good one page summary with graphs that explains what people are trying to achieve on IF. In the end of a few months the difference may only be slight, but many do swear by it - and it has other benefits people like too.

burnfatnotsugar.com/intermittent-fasting.html

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I do the alternate day one and I always come back to it because it's been the easiest eating strategy for me. No hormonal issues so far outside the usual (I have PCOS). In fact, I feel pretty good on it.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I fast from about 9-10pm until lunch the next day. So a little less than the typical 16/8 window.
    The reason I do this is mainly because I prefer to eat a larger meal at night (I can "save" some calories by not having breakfast and eat them later), and it's easier for me to be hungry for a few hours in the morning while I am busy at work than when I am sitting at home at night. After my fasting window, I basically have meals and snacks coming at me frequently the rest of the day, which I love! And I end the day with one large meal.
    Not really anything complicated behind it in my mind, it just makes it easier for me to stick with a calorie deficit. I still track everything and aim to hit my calorie and macro goals. I know of many other people who also modify their eating windows while losing weight for the same reason.