Hey, I'm just an Ectomorph aka skinny person

Options
Hey, I've been working out for 10 years or so and at times its difficult for me to put on muscle mass even though I eat very healthy. Over the years my weight would flacuate from 160 (my best weight for muscle mass, I lost some good habits but regain them with this app) to 140 pounds. With this app I've changed the MOST IMPORTANT thing when it comes to Ectomorphs with high metabolisms. I changed WHEN, WHAT and HOW much I should eat. This app is awesome as it breaks down all the nutritents and macro nutritents. I already feel the myself thickening out. This app keeps everything in check. If you guys have any questions about foods, habits, workouts than shot me a message

Replies

• DakotaG96
    DakotaG96 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way struggling with weight. Along with eating I have found that using serious mass by on series really helps packing in muscle and helping get your metabolism lowered.
  • nutrament
    nutrament Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    How much weight have you gained with serious mass? Right now I bought a case of muscle milk. I feel some small gains so far.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    you know that extomorph stuff is rubbish right?
  • nutrament
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    you know that extomorph stuff is rubbish right?
    Yea I heard arguments from both sides. Ether way I wanted people to know that I'm a hard gainer, but thanks to kathrynjean's article the reasons for that is a bit more clear. Thanks guys.

• HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Calculate your TDEE. Eat +500 calories over that for 1lb a week gain. You will gain muscle (assuming you are lifting while on the bulk) and a bit of fat. If you aren't gaining, then eat more (either you underestimated your TDEE or you're not counting calories properly).

Underweight people tend to overestimate their calories and overweight people underestimate their intake. Are you logging everything you are putting in your mouth, week in and week out? Get the above 2 points together, and I'm sure you will start making weight and mass gains.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So how many calories are you eating? And somototyes aren't a thing as @jorocka stated, but also it's something like 96% falls in a stand deviation and don't have fast or slow metabolism. But rather eating habits or highly active jobs that make it harder to stay consistent.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    DakotaG96 wrote: »
    I'm the same way struggling with weight. Along with eating I have found that using serious mass by on series really helps packing in muscle and helping get your metabolism lowered.

It won't lower your metabolism unless you start to starve yourself. Gaining muscle increases your metabolism. I've gained 26lbs and my maintenance went from 2700 to 3100 calories a day.

We're all hard gainers. I consume 4000 calories a day in order to hit a 250 cal surplus, all of which are whole foods. None of that if from store bought mass gainers. Save your money and create your own at home

I have a 1000 calorie shake to start my day.

1.5 cups whole fat milk
    1 scoop of whey protein
    1 banana
    3tbsp of gainzbutter
    3tbsp ground flax seed
    .5 cup of oatmeal
    1-2 cups of spinach
  • psuLemon
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

It won't lower your metabolism unless you start to starve yourself. Gaining muscle increases your metabolism. I've gained 26lbs and my maintenance went from 2700 to 3100 calories a day.

We're all hard gainers. I consume 4000 calories a day in order to hit a 250 cal surplus, all of which are whole foods. None of that if from store bought mass gainers. Save your money and create your own at home

1.5 cups whole fat milk
    1 scoop of whey protein
    1 banana
    3tbsp of gainzbutter
    3tbsp ground flax seed
    .5 cup of oatmeal
    1-2 cups of spinach

Just to clarify though, muscle does increase caloric expenditure, but not significantly, It's roughly 4-6 calories extra per lb of muscle.
  • nutrament
    Options
    Calculate your TDEE. Eat +500 calories over that for 1lb a week gain. You will gain muscle (assuming you are lifting while on the bulk) and a bit of fat. If you aren't gaining, then eat more (either you underestimated your TDEE or you're not counting calories properly).

Underweight people tend to overestimate their calories and overweight people underestimate their intake. Are you logging everything you are putting in your mouth, week in and week out? Get the above 2 points together, and I'm sure you will start making weight and mass gains.

Yes sir, I'm doing 2,700 calories a day with weight lifting included. I feel the gainzzz. What's tdee? Thanks everyone, this is all *kitten* great info !!!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    nutrament wrote: »

Yes sir, I'm doing 2,700 calories a day with weight lifting included. I feel the gainzzz. What's tdee? Thanks everyone, this is all *kitten* great info !!!

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure (aka - Maintenance Calories). Also, if you are bulking at 2700, you definitely don't have a fast metabolism... actually more towards the lower side. Most of us here, maintain at 3000 calories.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    nutrament wrote: »

Calculate your TDEE here
    I am Male / 27 years / 5'7" / desk job/ work out 4-5 times per week, my TDEE is 2300calories (I eat this much to maintain weight). If I'm cutting 1lb/week, I eat ~1800calories, and if I'm bulking I eat 2800calories (or 2550 for a slow/lean bulk). Bulking is the best time to make size and strength gains, then cut to reveal them. Cheers!

Note: You WILL gain some fat on the bulk, it's all part of the process. You are fuelling your body for growth, so just cut afterwards.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    No you're not, eat more
  • jessef593
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

1.5 cups whole fat milk
    1 scoop of whey protein
    1 banana
    3tbsp of gainzbutter
    3tbsp ground flax seed
    .5 cup of oatmeal
    1-2 cups of spinach

Just to clarify though, muscle does increase caloric expenditure, but not significantly, It's roughly 4-6 calories extra per lb of muscle.

Except my maintenance has increased from 2700 to 3100 due to my increase in weight.
  • psuLemon
    edited April 2016
    Options

1.5 cups whole fat milk
    1 scoop of whey protein
    1 banana
    3tbsp of gainzbutter
    3tbsp ground flax seed
    .5 cup of oatmeal
    1-2 cups of spinach

Except my maintenance has increased from 2700 to 3100 due to my increase in weight.

There are other modifying factors that can change outside of muscle mass.. you could have easily seen modifications in thermal effect of activity (burn more calories during exercise) or increases to non exercise activity thermogenesis (are more active in daily activity)... its no different than my ability to maintain my tdee even after 50 lbs lost.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Eat more. 2700 is women's bulk calories.
  • jessef593
    Options

1.5 cups whole fat milk
    1 scoop of whey protein
    1 banana
    3tbsp of gainzbutter
    3tbsp ground flax seed
    .5 cup of oatmeal
    1-2 cups of spinach

There are other modifying factors that can change outside of muscle mass.. you could have easily seen modifications in thermal effect of activity (burn more calories during exercise) or increases to non exercise activity thermogenesis (are more active in daily activity)... its no different than my ability to maintain my tdee even after 50 lbs lost.

Nope my activity level has dropped from 2 hours of working out a day to 1 and I'm also on winter lay off so working out is pretty much my only form of exercise.

Other than slightly more intensity during lifting without added cardio my workouts haven't changed.

• jessef593
    Options

1.5 cups whole fat milk
    1 scoop of whey protein
    1 banana
    3tbsp of gainzbutter
    3tbsp ground flax seed
    .5 cup of oatmeal
    1-2 cups of spinach

Nope my activity level has dropped from 2 hours of working out a day to 1 and I'm also on winter lay off so working out is pretty much my only form of exercise.

Other than slightly more intensity during lifting without added cardio my workouts haven't changed.

I'm not doubting you or contradicting your info/knowledge. Since I know you are quite knowledgable in regards to fitness and nutrition. I'm purely saying that with little to no change to my daily activity my maintenance has increased by almost 400 calories.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

I wish.
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Depends on age, activity level, height. also Not sure if you're trying to be funny, but there is not such labeling!