Binge Eater... Help wanted.

Options
Anyone else stress or boredom binge??? I can eat healthy for a few days but then find myself binge eating because of stress or boredom.. I'm finding it so hard to stay on track occasionally I'll do this until my stomach hurts. I really want to have a healthy lifestyle but I make one small slip (usually sugar related) and it all goes down hill quickly

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Plan it.
  • anthony150paolucci
    anthony150paolucci Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight, you can have one day each week where you eat your maintenance calories. This way you won't be in a deficit the whole time. Your calories this day don't necessarily have to be healthy, but try to fit them within maintenance. This way you won't ruin any of your progress and it gives you something to look forward to each week.
  • NikishaRichelle
    NikishaRichelle Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight, you can have one day each week where you eat your maintenance calories. This way you won't be in a deficit the whole time. Your calories this day don't necessarily have to be healthy, but try to fit them within maintenance. This way you won't ruin any of your progress and it gives you something to look forward to each week.

I'll try sticking to a designated maintenance day and see if that works.
  • NikishaRichelle
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Plan it.

The issues is that these binges are never planned
  • anthony150paolucci
    anthony150paolucci Posts: 85 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    MrsNikiG wrote: »
    Plan it.

I'm wondering if maybe you are at too much of a calorie deficit and feel deprived and hungry during those days you eat healthy resulting in binging. How much of a calorie deficit below maintenance are you eating?
  • hiker583
    hiker583 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have faced the same problem for many years. If you are like me, the binge has nothing to do with calorie deficit, or deprivation or anything logical that can be explained. It just happens as an uncontrollable feeling. Some days no matter what I eat, or how I rationalise I just want to eat. On those days, I mostly let myself eat and write it down. Sometimes just seeing what you have already eaten written down on paper helps. I also try to drink lot of water. It helps. I have a list of my favourite healthy foods and I eat those. Most importantly I have found that if I acknowledge that its happening, and the feeling of binge will pass and try not to hide away from the feeling - it helps. I have noticed that since I have started acknowledging that this happens and accepted it as part of my life, the binging episodes have reduced.
  • jacobchapman518
    jacobchapman518 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've struggle with this for a long time. So of my tactics to avoid binge eating are:
    -Drink water
    -Grab a handful of carrot sticks
    -Walk away
    -Wait twenty minutes to see if I'm actaully hungry
    -Treadmill it out
    -Talk to somebody for a distraction and to get my mind off me

Hope that helps :))
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I'm a binge eater. I have to think ... Like if I want (for example) chocolate. I tell myself 1- I know what chocolate tastes like. 2- if I don't eat it... Will I die? 3- will I regret it? 4- if I know what it tastes like... And I won't die if I don't want it... Is it worth it?

That's one thing. It's also so hard. Add me if u want. I also had a post (somewhere on here) about what it's like to binge. Maybe it will help you.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE.
  • Frequently_Fabulous
    Frequently_Fabulous Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I used the RR (recovery record) app. It's aimed at tracking disordered eating and I have found it really helpful. :)
  • NikishaRichelle
    Options
    Plan it.

I'm wondering if maybe you are at too much of a calorie deficit and feel deprived and hungry during those days you eat healthy resulting in binging. How much of a calorie deficit below maintenance are you eating?

This has been going on for months, even before I started tracking my calories again. It's part of the reason I came back to MFP. I've gained 20lbs in about 6months. Since being back on I've dropped 10lbs but I'm still bingeing. :(

• NikishaRichelle
    Options
    hiker583 wrote: »
    I have faced the same problem for many years. If you are like me, the binge has nothing to do with calorie deficit, or deprivation or anything logical that can be explained. It just happens as an uncontrollable feeling. Some days no matter what I eat, or how I rationalise I just want to eat. On those days, I mostly let myself eat and write it down. Sometimes just seeing what you have already eaten written down on paper helps. I also try to drink lot of water. It helps. I have a list of my favourite healthy foods and I eat those. Most importantly I have found that if I acknowledge that its happening, and the feeling of binge will pass and try not to hide away from the feeling - it helps. I have noticed that since I have started acknowledging that this happens and accepted it as part of my life, the binging episodes have reduced.

I feel like acknowledgement has helped me too but I'm still having episodes. I feel helpless at time and o feel gross and ashamed after each binge. I never used to be like this, it just started about a year ago. I feel like I have a lot more stress in my life and at times of high stress I turn to food. But I usually wait until I'm alone so that people don't see how much I eat.
  • jodielariviere66
    jodielariviere66 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Another option is to add your danger food into your day, every day. I got surprising results when I added in half an ounce of dark chocolate every day to help keep my blood pressure in check - I stopped craving chocolate, and I had a treat to look forward to every day. Who knows? It might help.
  • NikishaRichelle
    Options
    I've struggle with this for a long time. So of my tactics to avoid binge eating are:
    -Drink water
    -Grab a handful of carrot sticks
    -Walk away
    -Wait twenty minutes to see if I'm actaully hungry
    -Treadmill it out
    -Talk to somebody for a distraction and to get my mind off me

Hope that helps :))

I already drink lots of water but I'll give those other ones a shot!! Thanks!!
  • branbuds
    branbuds Posts: 624 Member
    Options
  • NikishaRichelle
    Options
    I'm a binge eater. I have to think ... Like if I want (for example) chocolate. I tell myself 1- I know what chocolate tastes like. 2- if I don't eat it... Will I die? 3- will I regret it? 4- if I know what it tastes like... And I won't die if I don't want it... Is it worth it?

That's one thing. It's also so hard. Add me if u want. I also had a post (somewhere on here) about what it's like to binge. Maybe it will help you.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

Typically I don't give my binge moments any thought until after its already happened. I go from 0-60 pretty quick.
  • NikishaRichelle
    Options
    I used the RR (recovery record) app. It's aimed at tracking disordered eating and I have found it really helpful. :)

Thanks I'll look into that.
  • OfficialDSXIII
    OfficialDSXIII Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, but after tracking calories consistently for a few months, including the binge sessions I find that it all balances out in the long run. I'm not sure if it's the same for you, but the day after I binge I usually don't feel hungry until later in the evening where I might have a meal or two that total no more than half my calorie goal.

If you're finding that stress is the main factor of why you do it, I'd also recommend taking 10 minutes a day to follow a meditation app. That's helped me hugely as far as stress relief.

Other than that, just make sure your calories for the week balance out to keep you at a deficit until you find a solution. Personally though, I enjoy the binges :smiley:
  • SULLINEWF
    SULLINEWF Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm a binge eater and I've struggled my whole life (I'm 47). I recently tried a sugar detox (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1046929782045486/?fref=ts) and once I did this for three days I've been on my way to better eating and I don't have the cravings. Now, given my history, I know I more likely will derail at some point but I try hard to not think about that and just give it my best shot. Clean eating should be our goal .... Also, I always recommend counseling if you feel you truly have a binge issues related to emotions. Good luck!
  • sassycarter
    sassycarter Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a binger too... I'm not overweight, I lift 4-5 days week, and eat "healthy" during the week. But then the weekend comes and I lose ALL control. I eat until I'm sick and I can't stop.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Anyone else stress or boredom binge??? I can eat healthy for a few days but then find myself binge eating because of stress or boredom.. I'm finding it so hard to stay on track occasionally I'll do this until my stomach hurts. I really want to have a healthy lifestyle but I make one small slip (usually sugar related) and it all goes down hill quickly

I never thought of myself as a binger until I found MFP. I could start on a German Chocolate and eat it all the same day by myself. At age 63 I had wrecked my health but for some reason even on 5K+ calories daily I never got over 250 (5'11" before the arthritis wrapped me). For 40 years my body was highly inflamed yet it never clicked it was diet related. I was thinking it was all in my 'genes' which is a factor for but my fuel type was at issue too. When I got off of sugar and all grains my cravings that caused binging faded fast after two weeks. 30 days later my subjective pain levels were down from 7-8 to 2-3 where they have remained for the past 1.5 years and six months in my 40 years of serious IBS resolved and has not yet returned.

It is great you are looking at possible causes of binging before you are 63 like I did. We all can be very different and no one can tell you how you should eat except your body. Try different macros for 90 days at at time until you find one that seems to work for you.

Yes my first two weeks was beyond hellish but I expect my age and poor health made my addiction harder to break.

Best of success.