Diabetic trying to get in shape

Options
I am trying to get my blood sugar under control as well as calories. So far the scales are not reflecting my hard work and blood sugar is not consistant. I am getting frustrated.

Replies

• CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Being diabetic makes it tough. You have to very closely monitor your blood sugar when you're working out because you don't want it to drop too low.

The first thing I am going to suggest is that you enlist the help of a dietician. Those people are specially trained to help people with their nutrirional concerns. Also, a certified diabetes educator might be someone to talk to about what your plans for weight loss are. I am sure neither of these people will discourage you from your goals, but they will likely have a lot of suggestions as to what to do and how to make it work.

Complex carbs and lean protein will be your friends in this journey!!!
  • NYGoddess77
    NYGoddess77 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get my blood sugar under control as well as calories. So far the scales are not reflecting my hard work and blood sugar is not consistant. I am getting frustrated.

Hello.I'm so sorry to hear about your metabolic disorder. I have a buddy named Steve Cooksey ( the Diabetic Warrior ) He is diabetic and follows a Paleo Lifestyle. He consumes a high fat and protein diet with minimal carbs and rarely ever needs Insulin. Hit him up on Facebook. If u need help with the diet hit me up as well.
    People have to understand Carbohydrates are the enemy of diabetics. My aunt has Type 2 and was in kidney failure going to dialysis 3 times a week. I put her on this diet and her kidneys are starting to heal themselves GO FIGURE.

Here are a few articles to check out hun:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/diabetes/

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2009/01/13/6044/extremely-low-carb-ketogenic-diet-leads-to-dramatic-reductions-in-type-2-bg-levels-medications/

http://healthimpactnews.com/2011/low-carbohydrate-high-fat-ketogenic-diet-may-reverse-kidney-failure-in-people-with-diabetes/
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I disgree that carbohydrates are the enemy of anyone. Even diabetics need carbohydrates. Talk to a medical professional.
  • NYGoddess77
    Options
    I disgree that carbohydrates are the enemy of anyone. Even diabetics need carbohydrates. Talk to a medical professional.

Let me rephrase that. Grains, High glycemic and processed carbs are the enemy. The carbs that should be consumed are veggies but no more than about 30 grams a day.
  • fatkidlovescake
    fatkidlovescake Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I take it you're not a diabetic yourself...
    Diabetics needs carbs as much if not more than anyone else, it can be very dangerous if your blood sugar drops too low through lack of eating carbs. You need to have a balanced diet including slow release carbohydrates (including rice, bread, pasta, potatoes etc) to ensure you can maintain your blood sugar throughout the day.
    It is very important however to know how much of these carbs you are consuming so you can match it with your insulin intake.
    Obviously you shouldn't go eating sugared doughnuts / donuts or eating whole tubs of Betty Crocker frosting but then that's not exactly good for anyone to do.
    If you are type one or injecting insulin to control type two diabetes then it is likely that changing your insulin regime will help control your blood sugars and in turn make it much easier to control your weight!
    If you actually put someone diabetic (I'm talking type 1, I don't have experience of type 2) on a completely carb free diet with only 30g of vegetables a day (hardly count as carbs really...) you would more than likely find that you just can't function like that!

I'm a type 1 diabetic who thinks of herself as fairly clued up (although I do know the best ways to cheat the system!)
    Feel free to add / message me if you want any more info - although I can't offer much for type 2 weightloss.
  • NYGoddess77
    Options
    You are right...i'm not diabetic. But I have family members that are. They are all Type 2. When they've switched over to a ketogenic or low carb diet ( only consuming veggie carbs if any carbs at all ) with a high fat and moderate protein diet, their health improved. I can only go by the evidence in my face. I'm no expert...I've read alot about this type of diet and it works. I've only mentioned grains, whether whole or not, as being culprits because they do contain gluten and other toxins that are bad for our digestive system. Any nutrient or vitamin you can get from a grain you can get in abundance from a veggie or animal.
    Just helping out..no arguments here. Just sharing what I know.

http://www.diabetes-warrior.net/about-me-and-diabetes/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dial-in-your-carb-count/

http://nourishedkitchen.com/against-the-grain-10-reasons-to-give-up-grains/
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options

I'm type 2 diabetic and had that same problem before and it was a total struggle for me. I'm doing this for almost a year now but its only recently that I seeing the results of my hardwork. Right now I do the low carb diet (I only eat a cup of brown rice only during breakfast and the rest are a cup of veggies or pouched meat w/c also has some few carbs in it) and it worked. As for my sugar level, its sometimes normal and sometimes too high which I don't understand either :/ but I still try to carry on although there are times that I want to give up but I can only think of my loved ones. Anyway how long have you been doing this? Don't give up and especially for us diabetics, we have to carry on with this. Also don't just measure your progress just by the scale. Does your clothes getting bigger? Or are you feeling lighter? Think of the other benefits of diet and exercise other than what the scale says.
  • mbonilla2890
    Options
    I was recently introduced to the body by vi 90 day challenge a couple of months ago. Ive heard about amazing live changing stories about how people have lost weight and better their health in this challenge, even diabetics who have gotten their blood sugar under control and lost a great amount of pounds. This product is amazing and I encourage you to check it out and try it.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options

I agree to that. The only ones that should be avoided are the processed carbs aka the "bad carbs" like white bread, white rice or pasta and instead eat the "good carbs" such as whole grains like whole wheat bread, wheat pasta or brown rice. But to completely eliminate carbs isn't right. Also moderate eating is the key. I'm diabetic and even us needed carbs to control our blood sugar levels.
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options

Let me rephrase that. Grains, High glycemic and processed carbs are the enemy. The carbs that should be consumed are veggies but no more than about 30 grams a day.
    I eat about 150 complex carbs per day..mostly from fruits and veggies. I've moved my A1C from 9.7 to 6.5 in a few months AND lost weight. You don't have to be that strict. I just came back from a Diabetic nutritionist today. There are other moderate ways besides the extreme low carb way.
  • NYGoddess77
    Options
    You may be right about that. That my work for regular diabetics with no other ailments. But..I just know that a few of my family members that are diabetic, with High BP, some with gout and others with kidney disease/failure...The low carb / ketogenic diet works for them. The ones with the gout and kidney diseases are doing much better now. Their kidneys are healing themselves. The ones with gout are not getting inflammation from eating protein of which their doctors told them they can't eat much of. I'm only trying to inform people about this. People get most disorders and diseases from what they eat.

Below is a site from someone I converse with about diabetes. He also has Type 2. Check out his site. He consumes a low carb/ketogenic diet
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    You may be right about that. That my work for regular diabetics with no other ailments. But..I just know that a few of my family members that are diabetic, with High BP, some with gout and others with kidney disease/failure...The low carb / ketogenic diet works for them. The ones with the gout and kidney diseases are doing much better now. Their kidneys are healing themselves. The ones with gout are not getting inflammation from eating protein of which their doctors told them they can't eat much of. I'm only trying to inform people about this. People get most disorders and diseases from what they eat.

Below is a site from someone I converse with about diabetes. He also has Type 2. Check out his site. He consumes a low carb/ketogenic diet
    Thanks for the link. I also have other ailments. I have (had) high blood pressure. As in the 190s to 150s. Saw the eye doctor yesterday and it was 135/80! I also had a heart attack at the age of 36. I'm active. Swim an hour 4 times a week and eat about 1500 calories. I lose aprox 1 pound a week. And my health has never been better. And like I said..I eat carbs. I also am trying to inform people that extreme low carb may not be what they want. That's all. It gives Diabetics a false sense that this is the ONLY way to go about things. I live and breathe as an example of one gal who was really bad at being a Diabetic to doing better. All with carbs included in a normal balanced diet.