7 Reasons Grass-Fed Beef Benefits Are Overhyped...

Options
J72FIT
J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
Found this interesting. Looks like I'll be saving a little money moving forward...

http://fitnessreloaded.com/grass-fed-beef-benefits/

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I just grab what's on sale breh
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Nice article, thanks. We get our beef from a local farmer and they're grass fed for part of the time, but they also eat grain as well. I haven't noticed any difference between it and the kind you get at the grocery store, except it doesn't have as much fat and cooks faster/burns easier. I get it for cheaper than what I can buy at the grocery store, otherwise I wouldn't bother with it.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    I just grab what's on sale breh

I admit, I got caught up in the hype. No more...
  • ravenlyn01
    ravenlyn01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I buy from my farmer because it's better for the farmer and better for the lives of the cattle, and therefore better for me.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    ravenlyn01 wrote: »
    I buy from my farmer because it's better for the farmer and better for the lives of the cattle, and therefore better for me.

Won't argue that. If it makes you feel better then indeed you should...
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I'm poor. I don't have a choice.
    Now, show me an article on farm raised salmon being ok.
    That wild caught alaskan stuff is almost $9 a pound.
    Killing me.
  • J72FIT
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Killing me.
    Tell me about it...
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I think as long as its hormone free it should be ok. But you still won't see me eating veal, ever! That's just cruel.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I've tried both objectively against each other cut for cut. Didn't notice any difference in taste or texture. Biggest difference....................price.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    *shrugs* My husband and I got a quarter cow that was grass fed. I can honestly taste, see and smell the difference in that beef vs what you get at the store. The hamburgs we made from the ground beef are hands down the best I -- and anyone else who has eaten them -- have had.
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    While they may be overhyped, the article discounts the fact that it does have a better fat profile and more nutrient rich...even though they admit it's true. Even if it's minuscule, it exists.

I buy local or eat meat I've hunted/got from other hunters as much as possible. It tastes better, imo. And it's no harder to cook if you know how to cook meat/lean meat.

I also find some of the things stated in this article to be a bit ridiculous. Such as the "well, corn is descended from a grass, so it's grass" argument, which is utterly stupid. Might as well just call everything a plant and have no differentiating since it all descended from the same beginning and ignore the botanical/nutritional differences between different plants. It's like saying dogs are wolves while ignoring the biological differences.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    *shrugs* My husband and I got a quarter cow that was grass fed. I can honestly taste, see and smell the difference in that beef vs what you get at the store. The hamburgs we made from the ground beef are hands down the best I -- and anyone else who has eaten them -- have had.

I've found that processing makes a much bigger difference than feeding. I was raised in a farming family. The beef & pork we eat is raised the same as the beef & pork we send to the grocery store, but it tastes much better when it comes from a custom processor than a standard meat packing factory. Generally, custom processors/butchers hang the meat longer and take a few other steps that affect the flavor and tenderness of beef.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options

I recently bought grass fed steaks at Costco, they may have been the most flavorless meat I've had in my life. Even marinated it was still bland, just tasted like marinade. I envy you! At least you got what you paid for.

I like the concept of GF beef, but unless it is something I can work prodominately into my diet I am not sure there is a benefit or if it's worth the extra money for just a few occassions a month. Buying part of a cow would be awesome, it is not really an option for me.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    drwilseyjr wrote: »
    While they may be overhyped, the article discounts the fact that it does have a better fat profile and more nutrient rich...even though they admit it's true. Even if it's minuscule, it exists.

I buy local or eat meat I've hunted/got from other hunters as much as possible. It tastes better, imo. And it's no harder to cook if you know how to cook meat/lean meat.

I also find some of the things stated in this article to be a bit ridiculous. Such as the "well, corn is descended from a grass, so it's grass" argument, which is utterly stupid. Might as well just call everything a plant and have no differentiating since it all descended from the same beginning and ignore the botanical/nutritional differences between different plants. It's like saying dogs are wolves while ignoring the biological differences.

I don't think they're saying it doesn't exist, but people should think about what is worth it to them. A cost/benefit analysis. For some people, they may assume there's a huge difference, and when they see how small the difference is, the extra cost may not be worth it. Others may still prefer grass fed. But it is nice to see actual numbers as opposed to just "more" or "better".
  • ReaderGirl3
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Killing me.

Do you have an Aldi nearby? I can get frozen wild caught salmon there for $5 or less a pound.
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    As an ancestor of the teosinte plant, corn is technically a type of grass. The difference between teosinte and maize (corn) is about 5 genes.

Chimps and bonobos share 99% of genetic makeup with us, homo sapiens. 5 genes is not "basically the same" and to quote this as if five genes is nothing is scientifically inept. And genetic makeup is completely different then DNA build. Yes, teosinte may only have five different genes than maize, but the DNA build/order is not the same, either.
  • ReaderGirl3
    edited April 2016
    Options

I've had the opposite experience, it tastes the same to me and the ground beef burns really easily. I only use it for tacos and sloppy joes because otherwise no one in my family will eat it. We mooch off of a relative's cow share so I get it for around $1lb, but otherwise I wouldn't go out of my way to get it.

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    ReaderGirl3 About the salmon.
    I think I looked at it once and in the back it said product of China. Maybe that was years ago. Maybe I'm wrong.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,099 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Killing me.

Keep at eye at your local stores. I got a bag of frozen 6oz wild caughts on sale for almost 50% off, like $7-8 for the bag. I was in heaven. If I had freezer space I would have bought 2 bags. Mine was US caught also.

I get most of my pork and beef from my mom/grandmothers farm up in the north of the state. Same with eggs. If not I would buy what is on sale at the store as the small difference is not worth the price for me.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I've had grass fed beef in the past and it made me sick. I have no idea why but I threw up for the rest of the day and felt horrible. I do spend a little more money on the eggs, chicken, bacon, turkey and fish though. I buy free range, wild caught as much as possible in all of that.