I'm quitting smoking

Options
I'm on day 3 of quitting smoking it's so hard is anyone else in the same boat?

Replies

• kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have tried to quit chewing tobacco for the longest time.. It's hard but more so to keep it going and the thought of NEVER doing it again seems crazy to me. Going to quit for real soon though. I've had success cutting out drinking while trying to quit since that is when my inhibitions are low and defenses weak.

Starting next week-- already gave up alcohol until May while cutting. Seems like an opportune time to do this.
  • NASAwife13
    NASAwife13 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 2 years ago, and it was very hard. I have also cut out drink which makes it a bit easier. When I was quitting I just kept as busy as possible and chewed gum instead. Gum lasts longer than a cigarette and tastes better. It's not an easy thing to quit but you can do it! I wish you the best of luck!
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 18 years, about a pack a day. Struggled with quitting for a long time.

Two years ago this past March, i read "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" by Allen Carr. The book really changed my perspective and made it fairly easy to quit. On March 8, 2016 i was two years smoke-free.

I'd highly recommend buying the book. get it online. or a brick and mortar store. Or buy it used. Just give the book a read. Instead of being frustrated that you want a cigarette that you won't let yourself have (cold turkey), it can help you no longer want the cigarette in the first place.

• amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have never smoked so I can't offer you advise but I just wanna say well done for quitting! Cancer has affected too many people in my life, don't let it get into your life too!!

Keep at it!!! ❤️
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    My mother has repeatedly said she'd quit. Especially on our most recent trip to home (WDW). She's cut down, but hasn't STOPPED.

I want her to STOP. Smoking and drinking are just as bad as taking a blade to your own skin, IMHO.

My advice: quit cold turkey, and pinch yourself (back of hand, wrist etc) as hard as you can for 10 seconds when you have the opportunity to smoke, or are thinking about smoking.
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I am almost 2 years tobacco free. My Dr. had me on wellbutrin, the patch and gum at the same time. It does get easier.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    It's hard and it stays hard. I quit smoking nearly 10 years ago using Chantix. Just within the past month I've started again. Even though I hadn't smoked for 10 years, I always thought about it. Any time I went into a store that sold cigarettes I'd have to make the decision not to buy some. One day, I chose poorly.

You'd think it would be easy to quit again since I went 10 whole years without a smoke and I'm only having about 3 a day (used to smoke a pack a day). It's still really hard. I keep telling myself, when this pack runs out I'm just not buying any more. Then I do anyway.
  • RunningBuryBlue
    RunningBuryBlue Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Im nearly 4 months in to my quit. Every one is different but for me, I started a serious amount of exercise as well. Try wanting a cigarette after an hour of working out. It really helped. In time, feeling fitter adds a weight to your quit, you think why would i want to go back?
  • Pretty_Jewelz
    Pretty_Jewelz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've quit but do have one here and there
  • gbebedoll570
    gbebedoll570 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking two and a half years ago.. I started smoking when I was 18.. After I turned 22 I tried quitting every year.. Every NEW YEAR.. There were years I only made it to end of January, and there were years I made it all the way to October..

When my 6 year old daughter told me that smoking was bad for me, that's when I realized I really need to quit. It was very difficult, but a few months after I stopped smoking, my husband decided to quit smoking as well. He smoked for 21 years!! He became my motivation, because I knew if I start smoking again, he will start smoking again...

• natalie3505
    natalie3505 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking by using an e-cigarette. I can't stand the smell of cigarettes now.
  • kick345
    kick345 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Getting healthy: I quit 13 months ago after smoking for several decades. None of my friends or family smoked anymore--it was getting lonely! I went cold turkey, a big surprise to me. After 3 days the nicotine is out of your body--the rest is willpower and each day I had more as I did not want to go through the first 3 days again. Even if you have to hide under your quilt, don't cave in. You'll be so much happier with yourself. Good for you. Thinking of you. Hang in there!
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I've been on again off again since I was 15! I had a friend who use to smoke 2 packs a day & got hypnotized. Hasn't touched a cigarette since! Think I'm going to try that next
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I have been smoke free for two years..... it was hard and it is still hard, for me I took up boxing to help from smoking ...... I would get so winded while hitting the bags. But after about a week it got easier....it is going to take lots of will power on your part good luck!!!!
  • smit7633
    smit7633 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Keep up the hard work!
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    When I quit smoking I had an unexpected side effect, all my dishes were done everyday, the front room was spotless, the bathroom beautiful, the car welcoming, the bedrooms organized, the garage organized as well, the yard mowed,...................................
  • sarahanncarson
    sarahanncarson Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My husband and I quit together 3.5 weeks ago. It's really hard. We decided not to have any alcohol during these beginning stages as well because we would want to have a smoke to go along with a drink. It's been hard and he's been way more cranky than me, but we're getting through it. We both use hard candies and gum (sugar free). We quit cold turkey without patches or a nicotine replacement. If you can do that, I think it's better. I started a new exercise program that I know I wouldn't be able to do while still smoking. I think if you set some goals and start something new, it really helps. Keep up the good work!!!!
  • mswilliams1975
    mswilliams1975 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I quit 4 weeks ago and it was and is difficult. One of the things I incorporated was a quick walk around the block or through the shop at work in place of having a smoke.
    I also use mints when I'm at my desk.

It has been worth it though. I feel great and my kids both tell me how proud they are of me.
  • RachaelRenk
    RachaelRenk Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey is just not achievable for every individual. You need to find what works for you. Maybe it's some type of nicotine replacement therapy and stepping down the quantity bit by bit, or a perception change, or a combination of both. I set myself a goal of being a non-smoker by the end of my 25th year - so I have about a year and a half, and I've been using my time to cut back on my own so that the transition will be easier.