Weight loss with iud

Options
Anyone else having a really hard time losing any weight with an iud? I had the iud put in in May, since then I've gained 10lb, I lose a few here and there but managed to gain it right back. I've been eating a raw plant based diet for a few weeks now, I workout 3-5 times a week, I try to burn around 1500cal a day and only taking in about 1000-1200 but still can't lose even 1lb I don't really want to have the iud removed but I'm starting to think it's my only option

Replies

• knittogetfit
    knittogetfit Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I just started getting serious about changing my diet/activity in February, but no, I have had no trouble losing weight. I have mirena.

I'm sure others will chime in, but if you're actually burning 1500 calories from exercise 3-5 days a week and eating only 1000-1200 calories, that's far too little nourishment.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Mirena here as well. No problems with weight loss.

Do you weigh your solid foods on a food scale?
  • 2Kelli5
    2Kelli5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I work in an ob/gyn. I also have had an IUD as well and started gaining a bit of weight, it's really difficult to find a birth control that has hormones because everyone does not react the one person can have extreme side effects the other not one single problem. There is an IUD called paraguard it is a non hormonal IUD instead it is made out of copper which kills sperm. You should speak to your Dr about possibly giving that a try or I now have the nexplanon if you never heard of it, it's a skinny plastic small stick like object that is inserted into your arm and is good for up to 3 years. The side effects of weight are extremely rare that's it's basically unheard of to be a side effect. If you are more comfortable with a hormonal birth control that would be a great option. Weight loss wi also be easier with that as well. If you have any questions I'm more than happy to help you out with different ideas you may want to speak with your gyn about.
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have a Mirena IUD. I've lost 28lbs since Feb 5th by carefully weighing and tracking my foods and staying within my calorie goal. I also get in at least 10,500 most days of the week.
  • danielasaur
    danielasaur Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have had Mirena for a little over a year now and what got me started on my weight loss journey is the fact that I put on about 25 pounds very shortly after getting it put in! In the past 50 days I've lost 14 of those pounds however, so it doesn't seem to be affecting the way my body retains mass any more; by now my body is probably used to the hormonal regulation. I recommend that you maybe reevaluate what your exercise/caloric intake should be for weight loss, perhaps with a professional!
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I've had 3 mirenas first one in 2005 so have alot experience.
    One thing I'll say is no person is the same as another so all because they had no trouble with they're weight it doesn't mean the next person isn't! That's the thing I find in here people don't think about that.
    When I had my second mirena as it was due I had been doing ww 17 weeks and lost every week a week after the new mirena I gained sts then gained I was told it's normal as you'll retain fluid , last year I had my 3rd as I was seriously ill long story had to have another to stop hemoraghing . I had it 3 months when I started mfp & my weightloss is slower than when I'd had a mirena in for a couple years & started weightloss

It does take a year for mirena to settle down so it can effect weight it's progesterone only the hormone that prepared your body to sustain a pregnancy you know the totm when we hold onto fluid before a period.

Life's not as simple as calories in calories out
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I gain weight when I'm not on BC. I lost on Depo and now on Mitena. My natural hormones make me ravenous and moody.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    One thing I'll say is no person is the same as another so all because they had no trouble with they're weight it doesn't mean the next person isn't! That's the thing I find in here people don't think about that.
    When I had my second mirena as it was due I had been doing ww 17 weeks and lost every week a week after the new mirena I gained sts then gained I was told it's normal as you'll retain fluid , last year I had my 3rd as I was seriously ill long story had to have another to stop hemoraghing . I had it 3 months when I started mfp & my weightloss is slower than when I'd had a mirena in for a couple years & started weightloss

It does take a year for mirena to settle down so it can effect weight it's progesterone only the hormone that prepared your body to sustain a pregnancy you know the totm when we hold onto fluid before a period.

you need to stop telling people this stuff...last time you posted it you said you were pregnant and got sepsis due to using Mirena and being pregnant...and that's why you were ill...I asked how you could be pregnant with Mirena as no doctor would use it even if there was a chance you were pregnant.

Mirena causes an increase in appetite and it is up to the individual to control that...max weight gain due to hormones would be maybe 10lbs and it will go away.

If you lost on WW with mirena ah hello...you lost weight using Mirena.

I had mirena for years (multiple) plus depo and you can tell based on my ticker no issue with weight loss...

control your intake and log consistently and accurately OP.

Because weight loss is as simple as CICO.
  • Charlot4444
    Charlot4444 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Only time I gained with my Mirena is when I ate more then I was burning.

I haven't noticed anything different for my weight loss (personally)
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've lost all the weight recorded here while using Mirena
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

you need to stop telling people this stuff...last time you posted it you said you were pregnant and got sepsis due to using Mirena and being pregnant...and that's why you were ill...I asked how you could be pregnant with Mirena as no doctor would use it even if there was a chance you were pregnant.

Mirena causes an increase in appetite and it is up to the individual to control that...max weight gain due to hormones would be maybe 10lbs and it will go away.

If you lost on WW with mirena ah hello...you lost weight using Mirena.

I had mirena for years (multiple) plus depo and you can tell based on my ticker no issue with weight loss...

control your intake and log consistently and accurately OP.

Because weight loss is as simple as CICO.

Oh yeah, I knew something about that post looked familiar.

OP, you could be retaining water but if you are watching your CI the rest will eventually sort itself.
  • laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Which IUD are you using? Is it non-hormonal, progesterone only, or something else?

It is totally as simple as CICO, but after my issues with Nexplanon I'm very sympathetic to people struggling with contraception that doesn't agree with them!
  • fleurhaus
    fleurhaus Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have had Mirena for about 8 months and I have lost 25 pounds since then and I am still losing. You may be logging incorrectly and taking in more than you are burning. Do you weigh your food on a scale? That made a huge difference on my weight loss journey as it helps with accurate logging. Good luck OP.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Which IUD are you using? Is it non-hormonal, progesterone only, or something else?

It is totally as simple as CICO, but after my issues with Nexplanon I'm very sympathetic to people struggling with contraception that doesn't agree with them!

I think we are all sympathetic to that...but it isn't the cause for weight gain or the inability to lose.
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a copper IUD? I have Paraguard, and I absolutely love it. No hormones, I can leave it in for 10 years, and I've had no side effects. Well, except my periods are heavier than they used to be, but nothing some iron supplements and super duper tampons can't handle.
  • laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    Options

I think we are all sympathetic to that...but it isn't the cause for weight gain or the inability to lose.

No, but it can indirectly make things more difficult. There are sometimes ways to make it easier.

I realised one of the reasons I was struggling with exercise was because I was anaemic due to my nexplanon causing problems. Iron supplements helped a lot.

If your contraception makes you more likely to have cravings, there are specific ways you can deal with that.

If your contraception is affecting your mood, and that is making you less committed to losing weight, you can try things like mindfulness, or different types of exercises.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Only time I gained with my Mirena is when I ate more then I was burning.

I haven't noticed anything different for my weight loss (personally)

Exactly.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options

Mirena causes an increase in appetite and it is up to the individual to control

I have to agree here, ive been on various hormone based birth control for 10 years and have been off it now for about 5 months, and I did manage to lose on it but always secretly thought it made me gain easier, but actually now I'm off it and eating the exact same diet I've not lost faster, im just a bit less hungry! I also find the "eat till I'm sick" urge goes, I literally stop when I'm full now.
  • jamiefalvo
    jamiefalvo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just wanted to chime in a little because I think a lot of people haven't really given you an answer you wanted. I've lost about 28 pounds from September, with a goal of losing just about 5 more pounds to get to my goal weight. About a month and a half ago, I got the mirena, and while still keeping my same deficit, my weight loss stalled. About two weeks ago, I finally saw a loss off the scale. My personal experience was that it did stall my weight loss, but if you know you are doing everything right, trust the process. That's what has given me the patience through this entire weight loss battle, and it just might help you too!
  • tararox22
    tararox22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input, I have mirena, and my boyfriend and I are on the same diet and workout routine and since June he has lost 115lbs! And while I'm very happy for him I can't help but to think why I'm not dropping any weight. And while doing some reading online I saw a few thing about not being about to lose with the iud but now seeing that all of you have had success, makes me rethink the iud as the problem. I would love nothing more then to lose 10-12lbs a month. And I feel like I've tried everything but nothing is working