BREASTS II

Options
This post is going on this board because I believe it falls under the category "support"...

How exactly should bras fit?

About two years ago I went to a big city fancy boutique and they sized me to tell me I was a 30C. In other words, no ribs average boobs.

Now, living in a small town where the only bra store is La Senza, you can imagine how difficult it would be to find this size: Impossible.

In La Senza, I can fit a 36B or a 32E or ANYTHING because their bras do not follow true sizing. I could be ANYTHING. One time I wan an A cup. There were epic lulz.

So since I really can't look at sizes, how should a bra fit? The band, the straps, the cups? I need bras that fit properly. When I'm trying those suckers on, how can I tell if it fits properly?

Replies

• ponyskates
    Options
    This post is going on this board because I believe it falls under the category "support"...

About two years ago I went to a big city fancy boutique and they sized me to tell me I was a 30C. In other words, no ribs average boobs.

Now, living in a small town where the only bra store is La Senza, you can imagine how difficult it would be to find this size: Impossible.

In La Senza, I can fit a 36B or a 32E or ANYTHING because their bras do not follow true sizing. I could be ANYTHING. One time I wan an A cup. There were epic lulz.

So since I really can't look at sizes, how should a bra fit? The band, the straps, the cups? I need bras that fit properly. When I'm trying those suckers on, how can I tell if it fits properly?
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options

I have huge ones :laugh: so I always look for bras that fit around your rib cage. they don't dig in on the sides or in the middle of your breasts. You want a cup size that fits perfect too. not baggy and you also don't want a "muffin top" coming out of your bra. my mom always told me that you want the inside of your cup to touch your chest wall. I hope this helps.
  • HustleRose
    Options
    Yeah, I feel your pain.
    Just remember that 80% of the support should come from the band, and only 20% from the straps. So the band should be snug, but not tight, and the front of the bra should be right against your rib cage; if it's lifted off your ribs at all then it's not the right fit.
    All the tissue should also fit inside the cup. This is going to sound funny, but when you're in the change room trying one on, you should like, jump up and down once or twice and bend over a couple times, just to make sure no breast tissue spills out.
  • ponyskates
    Options
    Yeah, I feel your pain.
    Just remember that 80% of the support should come from the band, and only 20% from the straps. So the band should be snug, but not tight, and the front of the bra should be right against your rib cage; if it's lifted off your ribs at all then it's not the right fit.
    All the tissue should also fit inside the cup. This is going to sound funny, but when you're in the change room trying one on, you should like, jump up and down once or twice and bend over a couple times, just to make sure no breast tissue spills out.

Okay. That makes sense. The bands (probably because i have tiny ribs) always lift up a bit, then then I move they move and often my nipples escape from the bra (or as my boyfriend calls it, the protective layer).

Where should the band sit on my back? I heard once that it's supposed to sit lower than your bust, like lower down on your back.
  • TROUBLE2
    TROUBLE2 Posts: 6,660
    Options
    I am sorry HustleRose, that just made my day!!!

THANK YOU!!!

i love the part where you said "just to make sure no breast tissue spills out." THAT IS CLASSIC!!!
    aka. make sure no boobies are poppin out!

I couldnt say how to support breasts other than from the experience I have supporting them with my own hands... but i doubt that will help you with sizing... either way I could only imagine what women go through when running... i could not imagine it feels good. and I totally sypathize with you all... it can not be easy. the closest thing i could think of was when i ran hurdles in track and forgot my whitey tighties!

p.s.
    I LOVE BOOBIES!!! and I think that everyone deserves to have proper support!
  • ponyskates
    Options
    I think that everyone deserves to have proper support!

Yes. Emotionally and breastfully.
  • HustleRose
    Options
    Hahahaha. Glad to make someone's day.

Um, for the band, I think it should at least be down as low at the back as at the front. A lot of people will assume a band is too small because it digs in and gives back flab through the shirt, but it can actually too big, and is riding up to a place where it's not supposed to be, and that's why. When you put it on, the band should be about even all the way around, and it should stay there snugly, but without digging in. Not sure if that helps.
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    My biggest problems with my bras is that no matter how big or small I get the band they always move up my back and my boobs fall down. I am always pulling up the front of my bra. I just figured my boobs are to heavy.
  • HustleRose
    Options
    Lol, you're boobs aren't too heavy, I'm pretty sure that's impossible. You should professionally measured, there WILL be a band size that will fit you properly. I was wearing like, a 34 DD, and it was uncomfortable in like every way possible, but nothing I tried would fit. When I went to get measured, it turns out I'm a 32 F, so no wonder none of the regular sizes would fit me. Now I have to pay ridiculous amounts for bras from specialty stores, but they actually fit. Lol, you'd be amazed how much of a difference it makes just to have the front of the bra tight against your ribs, and not be falling out all the time. :tongue:
  • terraw
    terraw Posts: 40
    Options
    i actually used to be a manager for La Senza and their sizing is going to vary by bra and style. Most styles are going to fit very differently.
    The band also should fit properly on the middle hook. The closest hook to the bra is for when you have lost weight around but still fit the cup, also the last hook is for those days that your retaining water or what have you and it just feels too tight on the middle hook, but ideally it should be the middle hook.

if you take a normal tape measure and go around your rib cage- whatever that number is you add 5 that will give you your band size.
    then go to the middle of your boobs and measure that around- and whatever that number is take the difference between that at your original ribcage number and that will will give you your cup size.

ie : a difference of 1 is and A
    A difference of 2 is a B and so on and so forth.

My recommondation and I love this bra is the so free bra from la Senza. It's the most natural fitting bra they have.

Hope this helps :happy:
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    p.s.
    I LOVE BOOBIES!!! and I think that everyone deserves to have proper support!

*random* HOORAY FOR BOOBIES!
  • HustleRose
    Options
    Lol, I tried to measure myself using that strategy a hundred times and kept getting, like, B cups. Somehow, not right. :laugh: