How does a person keep themselves motivated

Seems like I do good for awhile then I fall I struggle with trying to lose. Weight and exercise. What are some ideas you may have

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Mirror.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    I struggle with that as well. Sometimes you have to look at it as discipline rather than motivation. Motivation comes and goes, but if you think about it as a commitment, like brushing your teeth or going to work, it's just something we have to do..eventually it becomes a habit.
  • MyBoyG
    MyBoyG Posts: 104 Member
    It is all about the discipline and changing your view about food. Let's face it, if we weren't foodies or emotional eaters, we wouldn't be here looking for support. I tend to graze when I'm bored. I don't binge, but I usually go for something that I'll regret later. I keep a couple of pictures of myself when I was happy with my weight on the fridge. It is a motivator. I can't get there if I continue with bad habits.

But I do allow myself at least one great food day once a week. Whether it's having a beer with a salad or steak, it's now a treat rather than the norm.
  • pansamanchada
    pansamanchada Posts: 158 Member
    I've listened to a number of motivational books. I've also read books on the topics of willpower, habit, psychology of change, etc.
    I recommend you to read the book "Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard"
    Understanding that two sides of the mind are constantly struggling to override the other could help you come up with a plan that is motivating to you specifically.
    You see... the person at night that sets the alarm clock for 4:30am cause you think you wanna go to the gym is not the same person that snoozes and sleeps in.
    You can add fuel to the fire that makes you go but you need to come up with your own reasons to get going.
    Be it your health, your looks, performance, etc. the only way to unlock a heart is from the inside.
    Once you figure out your why, you can read books and watch youtube videos and listen to motivational speeches they just add fuel to the fire but you have to figure out your own reasons.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Eye on the prize. Just look in the mirror and that should be motivation enough.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    I had minimal motivation at the beginning. I wanted to feel better, but wasn't very happy about what was going to be required to do it! But after I had committed to making (mostly) better choices and getting some exercise, and then later as lbs began to come off, the motivation built itself! The weight loss is great, but its mostly been about the fitness for me. When I started, I could hardly move around and now I can work out for an hour (except this past month- have had a bout of walking pneumonia). I've cut my triglycerides in half, lowered my cholesterol, and am now in a low-risk cardio risk category. I feel about a gazillion times better, and I don't want to lose that... ever! But I had to build the motivation over time. You can too :)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Oh, and I forgot: nothing would have killed my motivation quicker than an overly restrictive calorie allowance. Make sure your weekly weight loss goal is reasonable.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    You have to find your motivation. Take a good, honest look at why YOU want to lose weight. Not what others have said or what you think it should be. For more people than you think, "getting healthy" was not their motivation. Wasn't mine. Mine was the fact that I'm fat in my wedding pictures. That really, really bothered me, and that gave me incentive to actually stick with losing weight. I also wanted to be able to look in the mirror and recognize myself again.

It was hard, and I screwed up a lot! But then again, everyone makes mistakes. Everyone has off days, celebrations (unexpected or planned), holidays, days they just don't care. Accept that it does happen, and one bad day isn't going to sabotage you or make you a failure. It makes you human. Log it, learn from it, and move on. Log it, because you need to keep being accountable, if only to yourself. Learn from it, figure out why you went over that day and make adjustments. Move on, because what's done is done, your energy is better spent looking forward.

Only you can provide the motivation you need. External motivation is nice, and helpful, but not consistent.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I'm not sure motivation or even discipline is what matters. For me, more important factors seem to be structure, habits, attitude, environment control, stress relief, nutrition, exercise, sleep, having realistic goals, measuring progress correctly, and keeping up a small, ongoing effort. I'm not motivated by stuff like "being able to play with your grandchildren" (would't be motivated by that even if I weren't 45 w/0 children, lol) or maybe avoiding cancer. I need day to day gratification - tasty food, pleasant walks, waking up rested.

I've read lots of books and articles about body and mind and nutrition... there's always more to learn. Every now and then some new information pops up, or looking from a different angle on a well known subject connects some dots.

My suggestions from what you are saying, will be: don't rely on motivation, it's unstable; don't make too ambitious plans (or, fail to plan -> plan to fail); don't "try" to lose weight, it's a simple equation of calories in<calories out, just log correctly and consistently; incorporate everyday activity into your daily life if you can't see yourself as one who exercises.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Mirror.

Good one!

I just remind myself of how far I've come and how I don't want to go back to how I looked and felt.
  • dubird
    nosajjao wrote: »
    I view certain foods as evil, and treat them as the worst thing ever. I would turn down donuts as if they were cigarettes. I tell people "I don't eat like that" rather than "I'm on a diet." Helps reinforce the intent. Also, if I'm getting a craving for say marshmallows, I will conjure and imagine the feeling you get when you eat too much of something to the point where you get sick. If you look at a food and imagine eating so much of it that you vomit, it helps reinforce not eating it. I'm talking desserts here particularly.

I honestly wouldn't suggest doing this. For many people, demonizing food and treating some foods as 'bad' only makes things worse. It can also lead to eating disorders. If you can maintain a healthy relationship with food, recognizing that no food is bad (unless you have a medical problem) as long as you limit how much of it you eat, I think you'll do better in the long run.

You also don't have to exercise if you don't want to. Exercise is not needed for weight loss. It's good for many other things, so if you can add some, do so. But you can lose weight just fine without it. I personally HATE exercising, so learning to control my calories just through eating worked well for me and I lost weight just fine. I'm trying to add walking in to help my asthma, but I don't use it for losing weight.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    I'm not a big fan of 'motivation'... It's romantic & dreamy & pie in the sky. We all need it from time to time but it's like pixie dust, just a little will do. I personally am held in place by a kind of sloppy framework of band aid like rythms and routines that dictate for me 'if this, then this' or 'first this, followed by that.' These are things so basic & boneheaded I can't flub them up for myself. I work seven days a week. That's right. Seven. And when I started this process my husband was living 3000 miles away on a job. And we own a business together in yet another state. I took care of everything while he was gone. So I shop on Saturdays with a long list for 7 healthy breakfasts and lunches and 6 healthy dinners. I prep everything Sat & Sun nights. Once a week on Friday I either buy expensive fresh fish or eat out. Big splurge woot woot! I walk 100k steps a week relentlessly. I'm always thinking about my next 5000 steps. Once or twice a week I take Zumba. Once or twice a week I do yoga. Twice a week I free lift. If I miss one opportunity I just calmly pencil that missed commitment in the next opening in my schedule. No crying or beating myself up. *kitten* happens. I don't have time for a bunch of worthless self absorbed drama. I log everything as carefully as I can. Some days are better than others. Sometimes I go over my calorie limit. I just move on. Perfection, motivation, nirvana have very little to do with my daily process. Consistency, adaptability and resilience are my buzz words.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    I made a list of "reasons why I want to lose weight/be healthy" and read it every once in a while. There's a lot of lists online to get ideas from, but honestly the thing that keeps me most motivated is not wanting to be as chunky as I was previously.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Motivation is only temporary. Relying it on it almost always results in failure. Build a routine and stick to it.

You aren't motivated to go to work every day right? Or brush your teeth, or shower, or eat meals, etc.. It's mainly just routine that gets all these monotonous things done. Build a diet and exercise routine and set yourself up for life.
  • justBreathe33
    justBreathe33 Posts: 46 Member
    Remind yourself daily why you started in the first place...
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    My biggest enemy is boredom. I try to find new routes to walk/run or new workouts or new music. I also go online and find some new recipes or go to the farmers market and pick up a new fruit or vegetable and learn what to do with it. There is always more to learn and experience so keep it fresh.
  • dubird
    nosajjao wrote: »
    dubird wrote: »
    I honestly wouldn't suggest doing this. For many people, demonizing food and treating some foods as 'bad' only makes things worse. It can also lead to eating disorders.

Wrong, I've had a bingeing habit "disorder" all my life that was the entire reason I got fat in the first place. This kind of mental behavior around junk food is the biggest factor in why I don't drown myself in pints of ice cream every weekend.

I did say for many people. It's not a mentally healthy way to go about things, and there are many people with eating disorders that got that way because they thought of certain foods as evil. If it worked for you, that's fine for you, but it's generally NOT a healthy thing to suggest to someone. When you have 8 year old kids concerned about eating a cookie at a birthday party because it's 'bad', that's just really, really sad. And damaging to how they'll view food the rest of their lives.

If you put all foods in 'good' and 'evil' categories, it can make it harder to relearn healthy eating habits. Unless you have a medical condition, no food is bad for you, just how much of it you eat. If you go that route, it's easier for most people to adjust their eating habits to monitor portions, monitor nutrition, but still allows them 'treats' so they don't feel they're depriving themselves of things they like. I mean, if my entire diet was healthy things that are 'good', that would drive me nuts! I hate most vegetables, and while I don't crave sweets, I do enjoy a cookie or piece of cake from time to time. If you can't enjoy what you eat, at least partly, what's the point?
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi
    There are several things You can try to see what works for You.
    Mirror with a before picture pasted to it.
    Waistline measurements
    Before pictures on the Cupboard and Refrigerator door.
    And last but not necessarily least I keep a written weight log where I record my weight.

Good Luck
    Roger