I'm quitting smoking

Options
2»

Replies

• cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I kicked the habit 4 years ago cold turkey. I quit to get healthy and plus I wanted to have a baby. I remember a day soon after I quit, I was on my phone in a parking lot telling my friend I had quit. I was giddy and I remember telling her that I wanted to shout it out loud in the parking lot..."I quit smoking!!" But I feared embarrassment and a possible ban from that store lol However, it was then I knew in my heart that I would never touch one again. Be stronger than the enticement of a bad habit. You can do it!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Did it about two years ago... maybe three... I try not to think about it. The book "Allen Carr's The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" helped me immensely. I can't recommend it enough. Get a copy as soon as possible. It might sound ridiculous, but read it to the end and see how you feel. My heart goes out to you, as this was one of the most difficult things I ever did. IT IS DO-ABLE!
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    quesera6 wrote: »
    ive been there.. your over the worst of it after 48 hours . just make sure you find something else to occupy your mouth and hands especially in social situations where others are likely to be smoking ;)

On this note, club soda helps me for when I want to smoke or even eat beyond my calorie goal. Ditto green tea and decaf coffee. And exercise. Exercise when your lungs feel great is truly a thing of beauty.
  • Grandmaelf2008
    Grandmaelf2008 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 8. Quit on April Fool's Day. How fitting. Well I'm not totally done. I still am having cigs. But only a half a cig at a time. I've went from about a pack a day down to 5 half cigs. this is really hard when you are also trying not to gain weight. cuz what do you turn to when you can't smoke and are bored? yup! Food. But I won't give up. Its probably going to take me longer than expected. If any one has any ideas they are welcome. I use gum, sugarless candy, veggies, fruit, and bad food of course.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Did it about two years ago... maybe three... I try not to think about it. The book "Allen Carr's The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" helped me immensely. I can't recommend it enough. Get a copy as soon as possible. It might sound ridiculous, but read it to the end and see how you feel. My heart goes out to you, as this was one of the most difficult things I ever did. IT IS DO-ABLE!

I just ordered this book. Thank you :)
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    You're welcome. I hope it helps you as much as it helps me. Take his advice to heart, which includes not even stopping until you've finished reading. I had stopped at that point, but I hear if you follow his advice to the letter, it's even more effective.
  • Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I'm so proud of anyone who quits smoking! My dad is battling lung cancer right now and STILL is having a hard time quitting. I know what horrible monsters cigarettes are.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 3 of quitting smoking it's so hard is anyone else in the same boat?

YAY! HIGH FIVE!

This June 1st marks 2 years that I gave up smoking. I smoked three packs of Marlboro's every single day. I truly felt I'd never be able to quit. I was a chain smoker and wouldn't go anywhere if I couldn't smoke.
    I had started to lose weight the previous few months and my doc straight up told me if I didn't quit soon, I'd probably end up with emphysema or some other COPD soon. I whined about how I couldn't do it and she just said "of course you can". I researched all the methods and their success rates. I set a date and finally did it.

BEST decision of my life. Was it hard? Well, I considered what 'hard' means. Climbing Mt Everest is HARD. Going through chemotherapy is HARD.

So...it was a bit difficult at first, but every month that went by it got easier and easier. I can go a week or so now and not think once of a cigarette. Even if I think of them, I no longer crave them. I've come to a point where the scent of one is unpleasant.

The health benefits keep on coming. Better breathing and much more stamina.
    I am dealing with one health issue directly linked to my 40+ years of smoking...a benign tumor on my parotid gland. I'll have surgery next month to have it removed. I'll never be 'out of the woods' completely, but living smoke free now is simply awesome.

Here's one more great reason to quit: the cost! Two days of my smoking habit pays for a full month of my health center. ;)

Get lots of support and don't give up. You've got this!
  • sarantonio
    sarantonio Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I swear... I'm NOT selling anything... BUT.. I quite smoking like 6 months ago and it was stupid easy. I have even got drunk (oops) and not smoked. I read a book, I don't know why it worked for me.. but it did.

Its by a guy named Allen Carr... I won't put the title in here, in fear of flagging for product placement, but you can google it.

Worst case scenario, you waste $12.

Also, it is poorly written and dry.... but it works!!
  • sarantonio
    sarantonio Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    wonko221 wrote: »
    I smoked for 18 years, about a pack a day. Struggled with quitting for a long time.

Two years ago this past March, i read "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" by Allen Carr. The book really changed my perspective and made it fairly easy to quit. On March 8, 2016 i was two years smoke-free.

I'd highly recommend buying the book. get it online. or a brick and mortar store. Or buy it used. Just give the book a read. Instead of being frustrated that you want a cigarette that you won't let yourself have (cold turkey), it can help you no longer want the cigarette in the first place.

OH... LOL, I should have read the entire post first :D