Tall girls Trouble !

Options
AmandaJuneFit
AmandaJuneFit Posts: 134 Member
Hey girls , ( and maybe some men ) I am nineteen years old , 5'10 , and weigh 190 lbs. (started out in february at 217) . So ive lost some weight and I am looking to get down to 160 so ive got 30 lbs to go. A lot of people have told me I carry my weight very well because i am tall. People have told me that if i lose even more weight i will look "tall and scrony" I believe 190 for me is not a healthy weight, ive got a lot of toning to do because my skin is very lose and i have cellulite on my legs and bum , i believe it is getting better but im not satisfied yet . Since february ive only noticed a LITTLE bit of change in my body. Ive lost 25 pounds and feel better but in a way almost look the same. Maybe it is because i am look at myself in the mirror everyday? Maybe i should try on some tighter fitting close to see if they fit properly now? It's discouraging to me to not look different then when i started. I dont have any before pics. Just pictures of myself at 195, so i have nothing to compare myself too whichis even more frustrating. Also nobody else has been commenting on my weight loss. I mean , my boyfriend says i look and feel smaller but he as well sees me everyday. The scale keeps dropping but my body is not having the results id hoped for being at this weight.

Replies

• anthony150paolucci
    anthony150paolucci Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The taller a person is, they can carry more weight on their frame so they may made need to lose more than a shorter person to see considerable changes. If you were to cut down to 160, you would definitely notice a big change and others would too. You have to be patient and diligent when it comes to weight loss and the results will go in your favor.
  • meredithgir199
    meredithgir199 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm 6ft and NO ONE ever guesses my weight correctly. It is definitely a blessing to have more vertical area. :)

I think it took me losing 10-20% of my body weight for others to notice. Take pictures and measurements because the scale isn't always a good measurement tool.
  • AmandaJuneFit
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your support ! Yes i have been taking measurements, ive lost 2 inches on my bust, 1.5 inches on my waist, and 2.5 inches on my hips ! Maybe people have noticed they just do not want to say anything which is completely fine. I just feel so proud of myself but i get a little bit discouraged when others havent noticed my progress .
  • kdtesoriero
    kdtesoriero Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I am exactly where you started and I am trying to get too! I am 5'11" and 219. I am also trying to get to 160. I have already lost 106 pounds and I am using weights and cardio and diet to lose the last 60. Someone told me today I should only lose another 20 and I will be fine, but medically and for myself I want to lose that last 60. I totally get your struggle. I am so impressed you lost 25 pounds already! Keep at it and you will get there!
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is me! EXACTLY. Are you me?? :)

I am 5'9" and started at 214, and am now at 189 - also have lost 25! Because of my height, I carry my weight way more proportionally than most women. I also want to end up at 160, and when I tell people I still have 29 pounds to lose, they are flabbergasted. But I am halfway between a 12 and a 14 (12s a tish bit tight and 14 is too loose) - want to land at an 8. People *always think* that I weigh less than I do. AND - I have lost 25 freaking pounds and people are JUST NOW starting to notice *shakes head*

I used to be 140lbs back in the day, and THAT was SKINNY for my height (size 4). I won't ever get back there, but I think that 160 is doable for me, and for you, too!!!
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and I hear you. I guess it's a blessing that no one can ever guess our weight. but ya they think it's ridiculous when you say you want to lose
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Shana67 wrote: »
    Wow, this is me! EXACTLY. Are you me?? :)

I am 5'9" and started at 214, and am now at 189 - also have lost 25! Because of my height, I carry my weight way more proportionally than most women. I also want to end up at 160, and when I tell people I still have 29 pounds to lose, they are flabbergasted. But I am halfway between a 12 and a 14 (12s a tish bit tight and 14 is too loose) - want to land at an 8. People *always think* that I weigh less than I do. AND - I have lost 25 freaking pounds and people are JUST NOW starting to notice *shakes head*

I used to be 140lbs back in the day, and THAT was SKINNY for my height (size 4). I won't ever get back there, but I think that 160 is doable for me, and for you, too!!!

That is so me! LOL! I am 5'9" New Years I was 189 now I am 181 trying to get to 150. I workout a lot so I am toned so when I tell people I am trying to lose 30 lbs they look at me like I have 3 heads. But I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic so I see the importance of getting the weight off. I wear a comfortable 12 but I am trying to get back into a 10.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You can really start noticing the changes when you get to lower bodyfat %. Don't be surprised if 15 pounds from now one day you wake up, look in the mirror and say "dammn."
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Since february ive only noticed a LITTLE bit of change in my body. Ive lost 25 pounds and feel better but in a way almost look the same. Maybe it is because i am look at myself in the mirror everyday? Maybe i should try on some tighter fitting close to see if they fit properly now? It's discouraging to me to not look different then when i started.
    It took me about 30-35 pounds to notice a difference in myself and I had a lower starting point (around 200) so you may need to drop about 40-45 before you see a difference. But when you notice it all that work you did is instantly worth it!
  • refarre
    refarre Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Our own eyes tend to see what we think or feel not necessarily what we look like. 160 to 170 is a really great weight for your height. Stick with it. You look fantastic already so hang on world. Have fun doing it. Good food and good exercise work. I'm partial to Crossfit because results are instant. They key is to find your niche and enjoy.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Hey girls , ( and maybe some men ) I am nineteen years old , 5'10 , and weigh 190 lbs. (started out in february at 217) . So ive lost some weight and I am looking to get down to 160 so ive got 30 lbs to go. A lot of people have told me I carry my weight very well because i am tall. People have told me that if i lose even more weight i will look "tall and scrony" I believe 190 for me is not a healthy weight, ive got a lot of toning to do because my skin is very lose and i have cellulite on my legs and bum , i believe it is getting better but im not satisfied yet . Since february ive only noticed a LITTLE bit of change in my body. Ive lost 25 pounds and feel better but in a way almost look the same. Maybe it is because i am look at myself in the mirror everyday? Maybe i should try on some tighter fitting close to see if they fit properly now? It's discouraging to me to not look different then when i started. I dont have any before pics. Just pictures of myself at 195, so i have nothing to compare myself too whichis even more frustrating. Also nobody else has been commenting on my weight loss. I mean , my boyfriend says i look and feel smaller but he as well sees me everyday. The scale keeps dropping but my body is not having the results id hoped for being at this weight.

Based on your height and weight your bmi puts you in quite a normal range.
  • tcarp8
    tcarp8 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Whatever you weighed in your profile pic looks very good.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    refarre wrote: »
    Our own eyes tend to see what we think or feel not necessarily what we look like. 160 to 170 is a really great weight for your height. Stick with it. You look fantastic already so hang on world. Have fun doing it. Good food and good exercise work. I'm partial to Crossfit because results are instant. They key is to find your niche and enjoy.

This re our own eyes. I can look at myself and think ick then see myself in a store window and I'm like wow who's thst she's hot. Ya...stupid brain
  • chaney3000
    chaney3000 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    What's up. I here this a lot.

Scale watching and mirror ghosting is counter productive to your end goal.

Also, yes you are right about noticing weight loss. You don't notice it because you looking daily. Your boyfriend sees you daily.

People tend to notice weight-loss when they haven't seen you in a while. That's when you get the "oh my goodness. Have you lost weight?"

Truth be told, you should weigh yourself monthly at the most. Looking for change in the mirror is mental and you need to focus your attention elsewhere on things that you can see daily like hair, make up if you wear it, clothes you got on etc....

Keep eating below you calorie limit. Eat better foods that benefit your bod and monitor your portions. Excersice regularly, get good quality cardio and weight training.

I promise if you do this, the results you seek will come. I promise it will
  • AmandaJuneFit
    Options
    tcarp8 wrote: »
    Whatever you weighed in your profile pic looks very good.

That is me now in my profile picture, the picture was taken on March 30th 2016 so i was at 193 and im 190 now. Like i said before, people dont believe i weigh as much as i do. Ive had people on MFP inbox me asking why I have an old picture of myself as my profile picture lol THIS IS MY CURRENT PICTURE ! I feel most of my weight comes from my legs and bum , ive played hockey for 13 years so my legs have gotten pretty big from that but, ive still got a long way to go.
  • GRLakerGirl
    GRLakerGirl Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9". I decided to get a Body Fat percentage gauge, just to get a realistic few of where I am!
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hehe i'm only 5'3 so weight REALLY shows on me. I feel good when people say i lose weight, because i sometimes don't really see it. It was just recently that i finally noticed a difference. My clothes falling off my shoulders, pants no longer fitting and my stomach being a "fat flat".

But it can also be kind of embarrassing. "OH MY GOD LOOK HOW SKINNY YOU ARE" and i just :D But we don't always have to think of the scale, sometimes we can look good despite it. Everyone carries weight differently. Keep up your good work though. :)

**Mind you i lost 20 pounds prier, i was 165 down to 145 pounds. So don't worry, it does take a while for our eyes to see the difference. At least from what i've seen**