Protein: Real Talk

Options
Come on. Why doesn't MFP set the goal at .6 g / lb or .8 g / lb or whatever if that's what works? What's the real number that people have seen success with?

Replies

• ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Maybe because it should ideally be based on lean body mass and that would require extra work to set up?

I do think that you should be able to set up your plan by macros without having to pay extra.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    So what works for you, based on lean mass?
  • ConnorMacFarlane21
    ConnorMacFarlane21 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    For lean mass, about .8 g/lb seems to be the number I keep coming across. You won't be gaining muscle at the most efficient rate, but .8 grams of protein per pound, combined with some calorie tracking, should allow you to put on lean mass. We are all different, but .8g/lb works for me.

If muscle gain is your first priority, even closer to 1g/lb would be better. You can lean down later if you choose.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I go for 1gr per lb of lean mass.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Come on. Why doesn't MFP set the goal at .6 g / lb or .8 g / lb or whatever if that's what works? What's the real number that people have seen success with?
    What "works" and what is "success" are terms that mean different things to different people.
    My idea of what works is macros that keep me feeling satiated and also help me maintain my LBM.
    So yes, I agree that the MFP protein goal is too low.
    I'm surprised when I see people eat less protein than that on a regular basis.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    What's the real number that people have seen success with?

Success with what?
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Success with what?

I'm losing, now, so I guess success in maintaining LBM
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Success with what?

I'm losing, now, so I guess success in maintaining LBM
    If you're doing a strength program, .8g per LBM is fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    So what works for you, based on lean mass?

Already answered, but FWIW .8ish. Per Navy tape method I started with 109 pounds lean mass and now the calculator says 115 pounds lean mass. Likely wrong, but at least doesn't show any loss of lean mass.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    .7 to .8 gram per pound LBM is about right. :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    The real number I have seen success with .8 g/kg BW/day, as a floor.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/eric-helms-protein/

"So how much protein do you need? As you can see, it depends on whom you ask. There is no definitively true answer for an individual without going into a lab yourself. There is data and there are the beliefs you form from that data. Eric and I both present reasonable arguments and evidence in support of our positions, but we come to different conclusions. What Eric and I definitely agree on, along with every other expert on protein that I know, is that between 1.8 – 2.7 g/kg, you generally won’t experience any major or even noticeable differences in performance or body composition."