Did I screw up my count by wearing my Jawbone while playing B-Ball?

Options
jaymadfour
jaymadfour Posts: 10 Member
edited April 2016 in Getting Started
So I am extremely new to all this,just started working out this week, and only been using MFP and Jawbone for a few days now. and something is puzzling me.

My Jawbone Up24 counted 13,000 steps today. and it added an extra 1,113 calories to my diary count. I am certain that the vast majority of these steps were counted during the 2 hours that I played basketball today. and based on what else I did today, there is no way I did 13k steps. I rode a bus to the Anytime fitness to get a free trial. I rode the bus back. I walked to Dollar Tree from the bus stop(about a 5 minute walk). I walked from the Dollar Tree to the Rec Center(took about 20 minutes). I played basketball for 2 hours. I walked home (about 30 minutes, cause I am sore as hell). that's ALL I did today.

I am eating dinner (not finished logging it yet) and it is saying that I have almost 2000 more calores remaining, and I'd have to eat like a pig to get that, based on what is in my house right now.

did I make a mistake, wearing my Jawbone while I was balling? did that screw up my calorie count and whatnot? or was that what I was supposed to do, and I just need to eat a huge dinner?

i set my Diary to public if you wanna look at it.

thanks in advance, and sorry for the stupid questions.

Oh, I'm 35, 5'10" 214 pounds. if that means anything to the discussion.

Replies

• computerangel25
    computerangel25 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi jaymadfour

I also have the jawbone that is connected to myfitnesspal. But what I have is the jawbone move which has a clip on it where I can clip it to my shoe to count my actually. What I notice about the watch like jawbone in count the all types of moving done by your hand. Example with my previous jawbone up 24 I was registering 10,000 steps are more a day after I get off work. I work as a cashier the at most the walking I do there is from my car to the store on my breaks. But whereas with the jawbone move I am registering about 4,488 are more daily. (Both numbers are without exercising)

But in your case a 2 hour basketball will be a high step count. But if you have the jawbone app on your phone the next time when you do an activity that is longer than 25 minute us the up app and log it. It would give you different categories to choose from to log the activity such as basketball. By doing it this way it will not count toward steps but as a workout instead and it will state how many calories you burn during that workout.

As far as counting calories I only using MFP just to make sure I am eating a balanced meal. I would track my foods on MFP because the jawbone app does not have a lot of foods listed on their app. So I track on MFP and it and what I have tracked shows up on the jawbone app and if it is in the green I know the meal was pretty balance. As far as going over if you are activity person you have nothing to worry about.
    I hope any of this makes sense or is help to you. Good luck on your journey.

• jaymadfour
    jaymadfour Posts: 10 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi jaymadfour

I also have the jawbone that is connected to myfitnesspal. But what I have is the jawbone move which has a clip on it where I can clip it to my shoe to count my actually.

this....is genius, I should have thought of that. what do you just clip it to your shoestrings?
    But in your case a 2 hour basketball will be a high step count. But if you have the jawbone app on your phone the next time when you do an activity that is longer than 25 minute us the up app and log it. It would give you different categories to choose from to log the activity such as basketball. By doing it this way it will not count toward steps but as a workout instead and it will state how many calories you burn during that workout.

so I would take the Jawbone off while I am playing, and then just tell the app "I played basketball for 2 hours" when I am done? and then put the Jawbone back on?

• melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I would call jawbone and ask them. They answered the phone really quick when I called the other day. Better to have the most accurate information you can. I just got the up3 and I'm a hairdresser, so I use my arms all day and it didn't give me a high step count today, the Fitbit did, a few thousand more than the jawbone