PROTEIN BARS - BEST ONES? FAVE? FREQUENCY?

Options
2»

Replies

• MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    kuftae wrote: »
    Quest is clearly the best, though expensive. I just make my own. Still can't get the macros of quest bars with homemade, especially the fiber content-- how do they do it?

I love when I can make something from scratch. Will you share your recipe(s)?

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Quest is clearly the best, though expensive. I just make my own. Still can't get the macros of quest bars with homemade, especially the fiber content-- how do they do it?

Do you buy that fibre liquid stuff? Someone here will know what it's called.

Ahh, that must be their trick. no, I haven't heard of it before. Would be interested in trying a quest imitation recipe with it though.

It's called vita fibre.

http://www.busybuthealthy.com/homemade-quest-protein-bars/
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    i love quest bars - double chocolate chip and chocolate chip cookie dough are a couple of my faves, but sometimes i'm in the mood for the chocolate mint chunk, and the apple pie is really good. i have a half as a protein boost through my day or as protein for a meal sometimes when i want chocolate as well as protein. also handy to carry along the day after an intense workout in case you get hungry early and want to feed your muscles.

since i'm allergic to wheat and don't eat sugar, quest bars totally rock.
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options

I believe the trick to a lot fiber is due to chicory root fiber. I see that as an ingredient in a lot of really high fiber foods. But this is just a guess with no hardcore data.

• jeichelb83
    jeichelb83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I love my Quest bars too, but I'm not a fan of the Cookies and Cream one. My favorites are Double Chocolate Chunk and Cinnamon Roll...especially if you nuke them for a few seconds. I actually prefer them over any candy bar.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options

Iso-IMOs you can buy or use vitafiber. I bought and made some of my own, still not as good as old formula quest.

I used to eat 5 quest bars a day, but the formula changed and they are not that good anymore or worth the money. I recently purchased 40 boxes of old recipe on ebay though so I should be set for awhile :). So for me quest old recipe is the BEST protein bars I've ever had. Once these are gone, I will be so sad. I tried eating the new ones, and they are just OKAY.

I like pure protein caramel peanut, venture bar (very VERY similar to quest old formula and new company), B up bars, and probar core
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Pure Protein are the best bang for the buck for me. Same protein and calories (roughly) and 1/4th of the price of quest bars. I don't care about the other macros or fiber really as that isn't their point for me. Plus, Quests are gross to my taste buds.

Also been liking the ThinkThin Protein bars.
  • jmarie1025
    jmarie1025 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I like quest bars. Choc chip cookie dough and cookies n creme are my faves. They're cheaper online. I order directly from quest. They sometimes have free shipping. I also like Power Crunch bars. All of the flavors are good. Little low on protein compared to others but I like the wafer like cookie. I treat them as an occasional treat though
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Power crunch mint when I want a chocolate bar, which is rarely. It's bigger than skinny cow and not as sickly sweet as a snickers or kit Kat :) I also really like kind bars way more but that's not a protein bar I guess.
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I really really like Clif Builder's Bars. They are a little high on the calorie count but the mint one is amazing. It tastes like a mint chocolate chip cookie bar. I don't eat it that often, maybe a couple a week. The Luna Protein mint chocolate chip bars are good too.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options

Ahh, that must be their trick. no, I haven't heard of it before. Would be interested in trying a quest imitation recipe with it though.

It's called vita fibre.

http://www.busybuthealthy.com/homemade-quest-protein-bars/

Awesome thanks
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Oatmega is my latest try; expensive, but good. I also like the new Atkins bars with nuts.
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Posting again, I just looked up the PureProtein bars and the Clif Builder bars to compare. Dang, I think I picked the one with the absolute most sugar content. No wonder they are so good.
  • Richx93
    Richx93 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As far as I can see nobody has mentioned them, which I find odd considering their popularity but Grenade Carb Killa's are one of my absolute favourites with low sugar, calories and 21g of Protein they compare really well to others. The only downside is they are £20 for 12 so if you're eating 2 each day like I was, it can be incredibly pricey.