Anyone Anemic?

Options
So since I was a child I have been severely anemic and I have been on iron pills most my life which I believe has caused me stomach problems also I noticed the older I get even tho I take iron mine is still low and I feel tired a lot.. I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem or if anyone had any suggestions to work thru this or know something else I could take to help higher my iron?

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor given you any reason why you are having problems with chronic anemia? This really sounds like an issue to discuss with you doctor because chronic anemia is the result of something else going on with your body.

I did have severe anemia but mine was caused by gastric erosion and small bleeds. After transfusions and a year on high potency iron I have had no problems.
  • mamakate2kh
    mamakate2kh Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Has your doctor given you any reason why you are having problems with chronic anemia? This really sounds like an issue to discuss with you doctor because chronic anemia is the result of something else going on with your body.

I did have severe anemia but mine was caused by gastric erosion and small bleeds. After transfusions and a year on high potency iron I have had no problems.

Its been a while since I've discussed it.. My dad has iron deficiency as well so I just assumed it was hereditary because my son is on iron as well
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I was anemic as a teen and when I was pregnant.

You should speak to your doctor, also have your b12 levels checked as low levels could also be why your so tired. Any time my iron has been low my b12 has been as well.
  • mamakate2kh
    Options
    I was anemic as a teen and when I was pregnant.

You should speak to your doctor, also have your b12 levels checked as low levels could also be why your so tired. Any time my iron has been low my b12 has been as well.

Thanks I'll have to have that checked
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You could maybe talk to your doctor about trying spatone to see how your body absorbs it.
  • phillyhockeyfan
    phillyhockeyfan Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I would have a chat with your doctor. I have a coworker who has really low iron. She takes daily iron pill plus once a year she gets a shot.
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You can get iron infusion too.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I was anemic due to continual and really heavy TOM that lead to 3 iron transfusions, which were amazing, and so much less horrible that the blood transfusion (also for anemia). I'd talk to your Dr to see if that would be a valid option. I had no stomach ache, no...well I'm sure you know about the bathroom. I tried the regular pills, the slow release with Vitamin D...none of it really helped with the side effects.
    Just as a note, if you don't already make sure not to intake calcium as much as possible as it interferes with iron absorption, I roll my eyes at cereal 'with iron' all the time. If you're rather anemic the pills are going to give you the biggest bang for your buck. Food iron is good, but it's back to the absorption thing, and my oncologist said if you're bad off, trying to get it through food isn't a great plan.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    So since I was a child I have been severely anemic and I have been on iron pills most my life which I believe has caused me stomach problems also I noticed the older I get even tho I take iron mine is still low and I feel tired a lot.. I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem or if anyone had any suggestions to work thru this or know something else I could take to help higher my iron?

I take iron pills, I don't get stomach problems but everyone's different. As others have said, maybe an iron transfusion would be a better option.
  • celpkm
    celpkm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Can you switch to liquid iron? I use Floridix because it doesn't cause me stomach issues and I absorb it SOOO much better than pills.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest Spatone iron enriched water.

it's a supplement that's about 30% of your daily value but highly absorbable by the body. It causes absolutely 0 digestive problems for me and is super easy to take!

I have tried every iron pill on the market and all of them caused such bad issues with my stomach that i'd rather just be anemic and feel terrible than to take them. This has been a lifesaver to me!
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    When I was anemic after blood loss, several times (hemorrhage after childbirth, and extreme long frequent periods with copper IUD) Floradix Iron & Herbs was the absolute best supplement and doesn't cause stomach upset or constipation. Also eating cooked greens, clams in tomato sauce, those helped.

But that's for short term explained anemia. If you are eating well, and taking supplements and it's not affecting your hemoglobin levels you should talk to your doctor, maybe B12 shots would work better than taking iron, or even better maybe there is a CAUSE they can treat.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    When I was anemic after blood loss, several times (hemorrhage after childbirth, and extreme long frequent periods with copper IUD) Floradix Iron & Herbs was the absolute best supplement and doesn't cause stomach upset or constipation. Also eating cooked greens, clams in tomato sauce, those helped.

But that's for short term explained anemia. If you are eating well, and taking supplements and it's not affecting your hemoglobin levels you should talk to your doctor, maybe B12 shots would work better than taking iron, or even better maybe there is a CAUSE they can treat.

Agree. Before playing around with other supplements, I would discuss your anemia with your doctor to see if there is a way to determine the underlying cause. If you have an iron absorption issue (which is often hereditary) he/she can recommend the best way to get around it.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am due to heavy periods that I get every two weeks. I take slow fe iron, so I don't get constipated, and I try to eat a green veggies. I'm getting a hysterectomy next month which will help with my anemia. Definitely talk to your doctor about your concerns
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Spatone, if your doctor agrees.
  • mamakate2kh
    Options
    I go in for a check up in a couple weeks I'll have to ask about that. thank you everyone!
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I've been anemic on and off my whole life. I started taking B complex vitamins about six months ago and feel way better than I ever did taking iron.
  • mamakate2kh
    Options
    I've been anemic on and off my whole life. I started taking B complex vitamins about six months ago and feel way better than I ever did taking iron.

I'll have to try those
  • sliminby60
    sliminby60 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I was just talking to my doctor about being anemic because of bring anemic most of my life i told her it runs in my family she said anemia is not hereditary said a myth i was anemic cause of heavy blood flow after historectomy should not be a problem unless somthing is really wrong after historectomy no problem
  • mamakate2kh
    Options
    sliminby60 wrote: »
    I was just talking to my doctor about being anemic because of bring anemic most of my life i told her it runs in my family she said anemia is not hereditary said a myth i was anemic cause of heavy blood flow after historectomy should not be a problem unless somthing is really wrong after historectomy no problem

I've been trying to get a hysterectomy for two years and my doctor keeps sayin I'm too young haha I want one