Ladies what should a guy wear to the gym?

Options
1235»

Replies

• wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    There is kind of a double standard of what is socially acceptable in workout gear. Guys have to hide the bulge as much as possible while women can wear tight fitting clothes that crawls into every nook and cranny.

I don't think that's true. People definitely talk about what women wear, and not always admiringly. Even if some men are leering at it, there are other men, and women, who don't want to see it. I look in the mirror, and have my SO check out my down dog, before I wear a new pair of yoga pants at the gym. People at my gym are much too polite to say anything even remotely mean to anyone, and I don't want to force anyone to see things they'd rather not see, even accidentally.

True, but it is more socially acceptable for women to wear tight clothes to the gym but not men. It's more socially acceptable for women to wear tight clothes in general, other than your typical fitted shirt on a guy that is.

I have wondered about people coming in to work out in jeans and a polo shirt too. I can imagine it if for some reason you forgot your workout gear, but I don't get it otherwise. I hate wearing jeans when it's warm. I can't imagine wearing them and working to actually break a sweat. That tends to be something I see older guys doing though like they can't be bothered to go out and actually buy exercise clothes. Heck, even a t-shirt and a pair of shorts would work better. To each their own I guess.
  • tayter_tot7
    tayter_tot7 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    So no more assless chaps?

:D:D:D
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    80s hair metal muscle shirt and zebra print tights.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    80s hair metal muscle shirt and zebra print tights.

David Lee Roth, that you?
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    yfo01pov5wyh.jpeg
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    There is kind of a double standard of what is socially acceptable in workout gear. Guys have to hide the bulge as much as possible while women can wear tight fitting clothes that crawls into every nook and cranny.

I don't care if I see bulges. I did care when an old man's testicles dangled out of his shorts during yoga class.
  • GusOC
    GusOC Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I always wear sweat pants or those work out pants and a sweat shirt. It gives me a protective layer from everyone else's sweat that's all over everything.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Wear what makes you feel good, what you feel most comfortable in. I'd say don't worry about style, and fitting in, so much as what are you going to be able to wear on a consistent basis, without having to tug things up and down during the workout. Realistically it's up to you what you want to wear, but I understand why you would ask. Gyms can be intimidating places, and women can be intimidating creatures. You do YOU, and let them do them xo
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Stand in front of your wife in your proposed clothing. Do a couple of squats, jumping jacks and pushups. If she doesn't say "oh my gawd, you're not wearing that out anywhere are you?", you're golden.

Why would anyone care what their wife thinks? They already hit that.

If you want to hit it again you care

This

X2
  • cadencegirl1992
    cadencegirl1992 Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    As long as you are wearing clothes of some sort, you are totally fine. Like some said above, nothing too tight for bottoms, or going shirtless.

Also, if you go to the gym, check out what the other guys are wearing. You can always base it off of that. I attend Crunch gym, and no guy that I have seen goes shirtless or wears tight bottoms.

Hope that helps. Congrats on loosing weight
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Please double check that your bottoms are not see through and provide appropriate coverage. The ladies at the gym are not the only ones with see through pants. Unfortunately, its been brought to my attention that men don't usually wear underwear with their shorts. We're at the gym to exercise, not to be the involuntary audience of a peep show!
  • brrrimcold1984
    brrrimcold1984 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Nothing. Or a thong and sneakers. ;)
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I suggest khaki slacks, a light blue button-down shirt, and a backwards baseball cap. Your flip-flops should match your belt.

• Crypton177
    Crypton177 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wear compression shorts and shirt under my gear. My gf said she likes the layered look with the compression shorts being longer than the shorts.
    x8v8knlk4h0l.jpeg
  • luvythedino
    luvythedino Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm not really the type of girl to pay attention to what other's wear at the gym cause I'm solely there to work out and focus on myself. However, my best friend is a trainer and he wears Dri-fit Under Armour or Nike tees with shorts and some Nike tennis shoes. I think a more fitted look is ideal (loose clothes usually look slouchy) but being comfortable is key. I know you mentioned you are set on your Chuck Taylor's, but I would recommend Nike's or actual working out shoes due to functionality. They are designed to support your feet and help out with posture and balance. :)
  • Mike02209
    Mike02209 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm not really the type of girl to pay attention to what other's wear at the gym cause I'm solely there to work out and focus on myself. However, my best friend is a trainer and he wears Dri-fit Under Armour or Nike tees with shorts and some Nike tennis shoes. I think a more fitted look is ideal (loose clothes usually look slouchy) but being comfortable is key. I know you mentioned you are set on your Chuck Taylor's, but I would recommend Nike's or actual working out shoes due to functionality. They are designed to support your feet and help out with posture and balance. :)

I am doing Strong Lifts 5x5 and they recommend Chuck Taylors due to less cushioning
  • kwiatrtdy2
    kwiatrtdy2 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was looking at this as my other half was thinking of joining my gym. All the blokes wear t-shirts and shorts. The only fashion faux pas' I can think of are teeny tiny shorts and ridiculous long socks with trainers. I know some men in grey shirts show their sweat a lot more, but as it's a gym it's kind of expected to be sweaty.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Mike02209 wrote: »

I am doing Strong Lifts 5x5 and they recommend Chuck Taylors due to less cushioning

Yep, Chuck's are some of the most "functional" gym shoes out there.
  • SarahPeters3
    SarahPeters3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Mike02209 wrote: »
    I'm going with wear what you like.

If you are going to the gym to meet women, then...well...I got nothin'.

I am not going to meet women, I am happily married. In fact I would say I am trying to not be noticed for wearing something the other gym-goers will look at and laugh to themselves, or make them cringe.

If you're trying to blend in stick to darker colors nothing says look at me like a bright yellow t shirt! Any tshirt and basketball type shorts that go to around the knee is perfect and keeps you cool enough so you don't over heat!