Stretching

Options
What is everyone's routine for stretching before doing cardio?

I have been stretching for a long time before (I still do a warm up) and after my workouts, but the chiropractor told me to stop stretching before as it doesn't help prevent injuries and it makes current injuries last longer since you're stretching a cold muscle.

Before I possibly change my routine I wanted to see what others do and what works for them.

Also if I do switch to not doing a full stretch before the elliptical/zumba is it normal for you to feel more sore than usual and does it only last a few days? I'm not sure if that happens or is to be expected.

Replies

• wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    From what I've learned, stretching before workouts isn't very helpful and you should always do a warm up prior to stretching to increase blood flow to the muscles. I typically do a 5 minute cardio warm up (stretch) and then do my cardio and stretch then do my weight routine and stretch. Stretching before a workout has little to no impact on whether or not you feel sore after your workout. However, stretching afterwards can have an affect on soreness.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Not big on flexibility myself, being a strength guy, but just to clarify things, based on former martial arts training...

So, Static streching pre-workout, is what i think your Chiro means. Yes, To a point, streching a cold muscle does not help. Doing a few dynamic stretches before Static on'es on your rest days, may be better... Obviously, not being a Chiro, this is just my opinion

Apparently, the ideal is dynamic Stretching pre-workout (Arms swings, Bodyweight squats etc...), Static Post workout... I.E Pre - squats, I'll do bodyweight squats, leg swings, ankle mobility, Then I'll train legs, Then post-workout, will be static strecthing for a few minutes... Similar thing is done on all other wieght sessoins.

Cardio-wise. I'd see what others say, as i do my cardio post-workout, and heavily related to the session I've just done, so I'm already warmed up.

I have no experience of Zumba, But i'd say some basic mobility work\dynamic streching wouldn't go a miss. As for not doing it making you sore, that depends on a few factors, like general mobility\flexibility\fitness

Obivously, this all works for me. Hopefully, the Cardio\Zumba guys\girls may have things that work for them, Try most, and see what works for you
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I do not stretch before running, I walk before running, walk backwards, do arm circles, maybe kick a few times in each direction. I do stretch after working out, and do yoga a few times a week to keep general flexibility, but stretching cold and then doing cardio workout just seems like asking for trouble.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    If I am working out a lot, my muscles get tight. I find it very helpful to stretch both before and after cardio. When I stretch before, I warm up first for 5-10 minutes. And I go easy, just gentle stretching. After, I can stretch more thoroughly, and that's when I foam roll, too. Sometimes I even stretch cold before cardio. I just am very gentle, when I get to the point that I begin to feel the stretch I don't try to go beyond it. Even a slight stretch on cold muscles helps me.
  • tjsloff
    tjsloff Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm on the same page as Carl. Dynamic stretches (lunges, bodyweight squats, but kicks, ect) are good warm-up s before running. Static stretching is good after running. Basically dynamic stretches are moving stretches and are minor exercise in themselves. Static stretches are the bend and hold stretches people think of as "stretching".