Need advice, and support

Options
Hi,

I am 39 years old and have been on my fitness journey about 5 years now. I do strength and conditioning training. I am scheduled for a hysterectomy (thanx to Cancer genetics theyll be taking everything but my ovaries as of right now) on April 4th and I will be on the bench for 6-8 weeks exercise wise and in other aspects.

I spoke with my training coach who suggested 800 calories a day while on the bench- unfortunately he didnt elaborate much more than that for me. I am so nervous and scared ill put weight on. Im still trying to lose weight and lean out. My coach is telling me this 8 week period will give me time to do that.

ANY advice or tips is greatly appreciated

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would he suggest eating so little when you'll be recovering from surgery????
  • miabell76
    miabell76 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    he wants me to use that time of being sedentary to try and lose weight and lean out
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    miabell76 wrote: »
    he wants me to use that time of being sedentary to try and lose weight and lean out

You need to use the time to RECOVER
  • miabell76
    Options
    true, but I train 3 times a week. So just sitting around for 8 weeks is going to really put a snag on my goals
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You need to eat at maintenance and recover. Your only goal should be just healing. 800 calories, unless supervised by your doctor, is ridiculous. Please don't do that.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    You need to eat at maintenance and recover. Your only goal should be just healing. 800 calories, unless supervised by your doctor, is ridiculous. Please don't do that.

^^I agree. A fitness coach isn't necessarily a nutritionist. How many calories are you eating now?
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert by any means but I would take it easy and see how you feel, surgery is serious.
    800 calories seems like not enough to me, don't be afraid to put your goals on hold for a little bit to heal.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Whoa. You'll probably extend your recovery time significantly if you try and eat so few calories during recovery from surgery. What does your doctor say about this plan?
  • miabell76
    Options
    My Dr hasnt really elaborated just basically said NO exercise at all for 8 weeks- period. The only thing my training coach did elaborate on was eating 120 grams of protein a day to help heal
  • GiGiJam80
    GiGiJam80 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    800 calories is absolutely crazy! You need to recover and stay healthy from your surgery. Please reach out to a professional nutritionist. If anything try to maintain weight during recovery ... Not the time to lose weight. Use that time to make healthy choices and maintain where you're at ... There is NOTHING wrong with that!
    I'd also put some serious thought in getting a new trainer! Health ALWAYS comes first!
  • miabell76
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • jetortola
    jetortola Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hi @miabell76 -- just wondering how you are making out. I found your post when I searched the community for "hysterectomy" as I also had one on April 4th (laporoscically assisted vaginal hysterectomy) to remove my cervix, uterus, tubes and lymph nodes (left my ovaries as I am 37yo). This was for treatment in very, very early stage cervical cancer.

I've just come back to MFP to try to track my calories while I'm so sedentary. I've set my calorie goal at maintenance for now but may cut it slightly at the 4-week mark. I'm missing my workouts too!

Anyhow, I'd love to hear how you are doing!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eat maintenance calories for sedentary. The less you eat, the longer the recovery.