Is a 1200 calorie diet for a week a good idea when trying to get back to restricting?

Usually I would never eat 1200 calories I'm normally around 1500-1800 depending on how active I've been. This last week though I've found myself eating chocolate and deserts like a crazy person. I don't know what's happening I know I'm doing it and come tea time I just seem to say stuff it and eat all the chocolate. This is not like me at all! I'm not even logging it.
Should I go to 1200 for a week just to get back into the right frame of mind. Or does anyone have any ideas?
If it helps what's been different about this week is the kids are on easter holidays. They go back Monday and I'm hoping getting back to my normal exercise routine will be just what I need.
The kids will always have holidays though and I don't want this to happen every time.

Replies

• jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    I would just log everything and take one day at a time.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    You don't want to create an overeating - restriction - overeating - restriction cycle. That is NOT the "right frame of mind" :s Just go back to your normal eating habits. What you do on holidays is not as important as what you do on normal days.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    I personally find going from one extreme to another is not terribly healthy.

I would just work out logging accurately. Pre-log your food if that helps.
  • fifijoaney
    fifijoaney Posts: 21 Member
    It's not about it being the holidays that irrelevant really. It's not like I'm on holiday just that the kids are home. I just need to figure out how to get back on track.
    Ur right though I don't want to set myself up to fail. I'll try pre logging my day but I do think I need to cut out chocolate for several days at least just to cut out the habit that's forming.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited April 2016
    For a week? Nothing wrong with it. It's no different than eating light for a week in anticipation of a vacation.
  • drpsamin
    drpsamin Posts: 265 Member
    Trust me chocolate is addictive! It's best to avoid it if you are prone to over eating it. Take one day at a time and try to do better tomorrow.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    I'd go back on a sensible deficit so I don't end up bingeing and risking overeating.

What's your plan?

1200 is misery. It really doesn't have to be like that.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Restricting yourself too much just puts you in a vicious cycle and you'll end up eating too much again... guaranteed. Just stick to a reasonable deficit.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Are you hungry when this happens, or just craving something sweet? Or is it just because it's there and you feel like you deserve a treat because (insert reason)?

I had 3 days this past week where I had a similar issue. For me, it was a combination of craving sweets and just knowing that it was in the house. Finally, I just told myself it was enough. I got back to eating my regular calorie goal and moved on. It's not always easy, but each time you manage it, you get a boost of confidence. And, the next day it is easier to continue on.

Maybe try reducing the amount of chocolate you are eating before cutting it out completely. If you are having 6 pieces a day, cut it in half for a few days, then cut it again until you can easily resist it.
  • sumnerfan
    sumnerfan Posts: 244 Member
    If binging is your ultimate goal then 1200 calories is the way to go.
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    I dont think "punishing" yourself to go on a 1,200 calories diet is the way to go. You need to figure out why you went binge crazy. Are you allowing yourself to have treats? If you constantly deny yourself you will of course lose all control. You need to learn moderation. I'd go back to your normal diet, and learn moderation in the process. Half of a candy bar, not a whole piece. A scoop of ice cream, not 3. etc.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    How is going from one extreme to another a good idea?
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited April 2016
    I've done the same thing this week...TOM hits me hard sometimes..but it is what it is. I've had three days of overeating all of the sweets I possibly could. But...it's over now. It's done, and I can't change that.
    Over restriction punishment is not the answer, though. You're going to slip up along the way; happens to the best of us. In situations like that, the best course of action is to just shake it off and move on. Learn to forgive yourself and do the best you can to move forward from it. Remember that you're not on a diet, this is a lifestyle change. Things are going to happen in your life and that's just how it is.
    One question, though... Have you been at this for a while? Maybe it's an indicator to you that you might be ready for a break. Maybe a good idea would be to eat at maintenance for a week or two and give yourself a break from trying to restrict calories as much. It may set you back a week or two on your losses. However, that would be better than the derailing your progress all together. Just a thought.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I took an aggressive cut for a week or so after gaining. I personally like it because I'm not great at adhering to a 250 calorie deficit off the bat. It's just too close to maintenance for me and I end up saying screw it. I had my plan really set up to do this and included higher calorie/carb days for my weight training so I wasn't at a 1200 average at the end of the week, a bit higher. I really don't recommend this for everyone/anyone.
  • fifijoaney
    fifijoaney Posts: 21 Member
    I know you are all right just disappointed with myself but it's done now nothing I can do about it but on a positive note today has been a good day so far.
    No I don't normally cut out treats and I don't have issues with moderation I've been doing this for nearly two years.
    I think just writing it down has made me see how silly it is and I feel I can get back on track but may have to add chocolate to my trigger food list.
    I'm so close to my goal is don't want to ruin all my hard work now.
    Thanks everyone