Just had Oral Surgery, need healthy soft food ideas!

Options
I just had a wisdom tooth surgically removed and so I'm stuck eating only soft easy to eat stuff for a few days. So far I have Yogurt, Sorbet, Oatmeal, and Apple Sauce. My head is fuzzy from the meds any other ideas?

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Fruit smoothies! Hope you feel better soon <3
  • hunsford
    hunsford Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind artificial sweeteners, then sugar-free Jello and pudding.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Jello Sugar Free Pudding or Jello
  • jenseye
    jenseye Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Pudding, jell-o has some with no sugar and only 60 calories, cottage cheese if you handle a little lumpiness, cooled down chicken broth, lots of sodium but my mom always told me chicken soup helps everything ; ), and frozen yogurt.
    Hope you feel better soon!
  • PattyCake123
    PattyCake123 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese, homemade smoothies (i make mine with frozen fruit and protein powder), cream of wheat, low sodium soup, and that's all i can think of off the top of my head. just don't forget, no straws! Feel better!
  • alibreasy
    alibreasy Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Guiltless Gourmet Orange Infused Sweet Mashed Potatoes...they are yummy and guiltless. Just google the recipe!
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    When you don't have time for the healthier smoothies, there is a product called Ensure. If you really can't eat, it's better than starving. Make sure you choose meal replacement shakes with nutrients, not just calories.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes :)
  • cillytilly
    cillytilly Posts: 243
    Options
    mashed cauliflower. Yummy Yummy.
  • vluna20
    vluna20 Posts: 1
    Options
    pudding, jello, mashed potato, and my favorite.....soups! you can find all kinds of recipes for soups online and you can tweak them as needed. if it's too chunky just throw in the blender and make puree'd soup. you can puree beans as well. and crazy as it may sound, you can have baby food too. there are "healthy" options all around if you make the right choices. i'm new to mfp but i'm a ww vet :)
  • sarahttini
    sarahttini Posts: 186
    Options
    home made soups - boil the veggies for awhile and they will be super soft :wink:
  • DaveJ_43
    DaveJ_43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Carnation instant breakfast drinks (chocolate and vanilla). I just went through that too. Now that I'm on the mend the CIB are still great for a quick snack.
  • BecksgotBack
    BecksgotBack Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    all of the above, no straws...and whatever you do...DO NOT eat something that might get stuck in the hole--and make sure you're using the salt water to swish it out because if you get infection you will be sorry.
  • calamitygk
    calamitygk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Puree soft tofu! It's amazing... I eat it all the time cause you can flavor it any way you want. Try adding taco seasoning to it (to taste) put it on very very well cooked noodles of your choice for a southwest "cream sause" that is protein packed and low fat.
  • cpauscher
    cpauscher Posts: 41
    Options
    I hope you feel better soon. I used to be a dental assistant and I know how painful dental surgery can be. I like the suggestions of everyone else. You could also have some soft scrambled eggs. V-8 juice. Good luck.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    today you are on cold soft foods and NO STRAWS. I repeat if you drink a smoothie or a milk shake NO STRAWS. Both are good options though, Milk products may upset your stomach with the pain meds though. Yogurt, scrambled eggs if you can eat them at room temp (I cant) protein shakes, apple sauces, cottage cheese with fruit syrup if you need a little extra flavor, let soup or broth cool to room temp. refried beans (no tortilla just the beans) Jello, pudding. A note on smoothies though: citric acid is known to upset your stomach as much as if not more then dairy. so oranges, strawberries (most berries actually) can make that problem worse. You can have warm soft food tomorrow, oatmeal, cream of wheat (though the grains might get stuck in the socket) warm scrambled eggs, warm (not hot!) soup, anything you could eat day 1 basically as well. Day 3 you CAN start reintegrating normal foods but I only recommend this if you ARENT bruised or chipmunk cheeked. and you arent re-introducing steak I can tell you that!

**Dental Assistant who worked with an Oral Surgeon for 2 years**
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    all of the above, no straws...and whatever you do...DO NOT eat something that might get stuck in the hole--and make sure you're using the salt water to swish it out because if you get infection you will be sorry.

You arent suppossed to swish or brush your molars (near those areas) for 48 hours, hence the diet restrictions. and when you start swishing you are suppossed to gently move your head back and forth not swish like a normal person
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Already mentioned but... mashed potatoes... kept my wife going after some painful oral surgery.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    When I got my wisdom teeth removed I lived off of the Ensure drinks. I think they are for the older aged people, lol but they were SOOOO GOOD! and you don't get food caught down in your holes that will ultimately start to make your mouth taste NASTY!

Just fyi... don't eat noodle soup.. Its the worst. and getting it stuck down in your holes is inevitable and unavoidable.
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I had a leforte osteotomy, was wired shut for over a month. Soups, CREAM OF WHEAT [lived off this!], and anything blended. Towards the end i was blending EVERYTHING because I was so hungry. I even blended up thanksgiving dinner. But I was also having to use a 40 CC large-tipped syringe with a catheter to eat.

When I had my wisdom teeth out, I ate a lot of fat free frozen yogurt :) But I was back to solid food within a few days.

Good luck with your recovery!